dev-db/unixODBC-2.0.6 failed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: dev-db/unixODBC-2.0.6 failed Reply with quote

Hi,
any clue why dev-db/unixODBC-2.0.6 failed ?
Thanks

Code:

gcc -O3 -mcpu=pentium2 -march=pentium2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -o .libs/isql isql.o ../DriverManager/.libs/libodbc.so -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -ldl -lc -lc -lc -lc ../odbcinst/.libs/libodbcinst.so -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc -ldl -lc -lc -lc -lc -lreadline -lcurses -lc -lc -lc -lc
collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault], core dumped
make[1]: *** [isql] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/unixODBC-2.0.6/work/unixODBC-2.0.6/exe'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

!!! ERROR: dev-db/unixODBC-2.0.6 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 16, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

conf:
Code:

# emerge info
Portage 2.0.46-r2 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.2.1, glibc-2.3.1-r2)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.4.19-gentoo-r10 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes)
USE="oss 3dnow avi crypt encode gif jpeg libg++ mikmod mpeg nls pdflib png quicktime sdl xmms zlib gdbm berkdb slang svga tcpd pam imlib oggvorbis gtk opengl X kde arts -gnome -alsa apm cups dga doc php perl python ssl ncurses odbc qt qtmt readline sasl spell sse truetype xml xml2 xv x86 gpm libwww mmx motif moznoirc moznomail moznocompose flash java"
ARCH="x86"
COMPILER="gcc3"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=pentium2 -march=pentium2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer "
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=pentium2 -march=pentium2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer "
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /var/qmail/control /usr/share/config /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/env.d"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
JDK_HOME="/opt/sun-jdk-1.4.1.01"
JAVA_HOME="/opt/sun-jdk-1.4.1.01"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"

MACPRO machine...
piranha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try:
export ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
emerge unixODBC

Should work.
noop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: great Reply with quote

it updated my entire system to the unstable packages (which is hardly what I wanted) and then succeeded to build unixODBC 2.2.2 (!!).

seriously - you could have atleast warned me.

now remains the question - why unixODBC 2.0.6 does not build ?
Shaun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine failed with the same error. Can anyone assist with 2.0.6?
pr0t0m0rphik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: mine too Reply with quote

i'm trying to set up a server running gentoo with the typical LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) setup, and while emerging mod_php, came across the exact error (word for word) as the original poster listed as output while compiling unixODBC.

i really want to get this too work, and i took note of the caveat offered by noop, who said that his system was update with unstable packages. so here's what i did (and so for everything is compiling great, but i have yet to run and set anything up):

Code:

# export ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
# emerge --noreplace unixODBC
# export ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"

the --noreplace tells portage not to update any packages, and to just emerge unixODBC

when i took note of noop mentioning that it had updated his system with unstable packages, i was curious as to why and did an emerge -up unixODBC to find out what packages would be installed. now, i'm new to gentoo, so i do not entirely understand this concept, but as for the -u (or --update) argument. does this update only the package you specify? basically, i've read throught the portage manual, but it does not clearly specify the scope of the --update argument.

anyway, the point is that i also specified the -p (or --pretend) because noop's post prompted by curiousity as to which packages would be updated by portage. i can't remember exactly which ones, and i should have piped the output to a log file, but portage didn't just list the unixODBC package. it listed several other packages to be updated, which are dependencies of unixODBC, which are listed here:

http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/pkgs/dev-db/unixODBC.xml

anyway, executing the code as i listed above will protect these dependencies from being updated with unstable packages (except for unixODBC), and you will be able to compile unixODBC without any problems. so, i too have unixODBC 2.2.2 emerged properly. resetting the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS back to normal will protect you emerging unstable packages in the future..

i can't offer an explanation as to why 2.0.6 causes a segmentation fault error (signal 11) during compilation. i've read posts about signal 11 errors being caused by numerous things, of which the most common is your system's RAM, but i've compiled a LOT of packages with my system so far, and have not run across any compilation errors, except while compiling unixODBC 2.0.6.

for anyone that might have any insight and could provide an explanation, perhaps this information may help:

my computer:

AMD K6/2 400MHz
128MB RAM
40GB SCSI HD
Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI Adapter

here's some info from my settings (i'm at a differnt computer, so i can't easily transfer the exact text over and it's quite extensive), but essentially:

COMPILER="gcc3"
CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=k6-2 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="-march=k6-3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"

and then, i have an extensive list of use flags (which is just too tedious for me to list at the moment) as i'm testing out some other packages because this is my first linux system i've set up before, and i don't know what i like or need yet..

if anyone can offer a logical explanation as to why unixODBC 2.0.6 causes this compilation error, please speak up.. as i have not yet run or set up any of this software (still compiling mod_php, which by the way has a ton of dependencies) and i don't know how version 2.2.2 od unixODBC will affect my intended setup.

i'd just like to caution others:

make a habit of using the -p (--pretend) argument when you are emerging new packages, so you'll know exactly what portage is going to do, and then take steps (if/when needed) to prevent certain functionality (such as the updating of dependencies that you really don't what updated) by for instance using the --noreplace argument.
pr0t0m0rphik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: may be of interest.. Reply with quote

perhaps i should have checked here first, but here's a bugzilla report which contains links to a patch that suppossedly works. haven't tried it, yet, but they at least explain the actual cause of the segmentation fault error. check it out:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13166

in short:

"The problem is in the configure script. This script checks for functions in the c library with the wrong function."
goldjd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to work for me (the patch listed)

For those who don't know what to do with that text that's attached (as I was at first)
(assuming your portage directory is /usr/portage
copy the text to a new file called something like unixODBC-2.0.6.ebuild.diff
save the file to /usr/portage/dev-db/unixODBC

Code:
cd /usr/portage/dev-db/unixODBC
patch unixODBC-2.0.6.ebuild unixODBC-2.0.6.ebuild.diff

Joshua Goldberg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are two main products of Berkley, CA:
BSD & LSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence...
irony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I patched the file, and now I'm getting a different error -

Code:

touch /etc/unixODBC/odbcinst.ini
ACCESS DENIED  open_wr:   /etc/unixODBC/odbcinst.ini
touch: creating `/etc/unixODBC/odbcinst.ini': Permission denied
make[2]: *** [install-data-am] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/unixODBC-2.0.6/work/unixODBC-2.0.6'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/unixODBC-2.0.6/work/unixODBC-2.0.6'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

!!! Function src_install, Line 56, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/tmp/sandbox-unixODBC-2.0.6-32600.log"

open_wr:   /etc/unixODBC/odbcinst.ini
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added CONFIG_PROTECT="-*" to my /etc/make.conf, and still got the same error. I'm emerging as root, obviously, so I don't see how this should be.
I'm going to try rm-ing by hand all the references to unixODBC - it might be having issues with the first two failed emerges or some such.
sstillwell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

irony wrote:
I patched the file, and now I'm getting a different error -

Code:

touch /etc/unixODBC/odbcinst.ini
ACCESS DENIED  open_wr:   /etc/unixODBC/odbcinst.ini
touch: creating `/etc/unixODBC/odbcinst.ini': Permission denied
make[2]: *** [install-data-am] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/unixODBC-2.0.6/work/unixODBC-2.0.6'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/unixODBC-2.0.6/work/unixODBC-2.0.6'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

!!! Function src_install, Line 56, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/tmp/sandbox-unixODBC-2.0.6-32600.log"

open_wr:   /etc/unixODBC/odbcinst.ini
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same here...although I noticed that my odbcinst.ini was a zero-byte file, so I just deleted it and reran emerge. Same problem. Freaky.

I can emerge 2.2.2, which is the unstable version, but I can't convince the rest of the system to use version 2.2.2...every time I
Code:
emerge -u world
the system decides to emerge 2.0.6 again and unmerge 2.2.2 (although it never gets that far...)

Grr...I haven't found anything in the forums...I'll try searching the bugs database.

Scott
irony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sstillwell wrote:

Same here...although I noticed that my odbcinst.ini was a zero-byte file, so I just deleted it and reran emerge. Same problem. Freaky.

I can emerge 2.2.2, which is the unstable version, but I can't convince the rest of the system to use version 2.2.2...every time I
Code:
emerge -u world
the system decides to emerge 2.0.6 again and unmerge 2.2.2 (although it never gets that far...)

I wasn't even having the files created - I tried manually creating them, so they could be overwritten, and then I tried creating the directory they were supposed to be in, and still no love. I couldn't get 2.2.2 to emerge, either.

However, I also realized that ODBC is an optional dependency for the package I was trying to install, so it's not as pressing as it once was. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: