PCMCIA woes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: PCMCIA woes Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Linux, and Gentoo, so bear with me if I ask something stupid in the next few lines :)

I've tried to install Gentoo in a spare laptop I have in my room. I downloaded the full CD image for i686 (My laptop is a PII, so I think this is right). I decided to use stage3, as I'm too lazy/stupid to get from stage1/2 to stage3.

Anyway, I re-partitioned the hard drive, and booted from the CD fine. After setting a root password, I did as the motd told me and followed the readme, with a seperate terminal to run the commands in (Alt+F2).

The problem comes when I attempt to access the laptop's PCMCIA ports. I followed the guide, and entered what was required. However, after cardmgr is started, nothing happens to the network card in the slots. No lights, no beeps, nothing. In Windows, at least one of the lights comes on, as well as the speaker beeping.

I think the problem occurs when I run the "modprobe i82365" command. It reports something about not being able to find a IRQ for the slots, so it uses 255 (or 225, I can't remember, and I don't have the laptop with me right now to test). This is wrong, as Windows and the BIOS reports the IRQ to be 11 for those slots. However, it does say it's listening for two slots, which is re-assureing.

So I can only conclude that I somehow have to tell the i82365 module to use IRQ 11 or specfic memory addresses. This is where I get stuck, as I have no idea how to do this. Can anybody here point me in the right direction?

The model of the laptop is a Toshiba Tecra 8000.
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were right. Look here:
http://www.shroom.com/linux/laptop/8000-3.html#ss3.2
It should help you.

In the end you should try to exclude inq 3,4,7,9 in
Code:
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I did what the page said, However this still didn't work. Excluding the other IRQ numbers had no effect, as it is still trying to use 255.

I reset the BIOS to it's default settings. This had no effect. Prehaps it's not finding the hardware during startup, but the text goes past so quickly that I cannot see it. Is it possible to see the bootup log?

This is what I see on my screen after setting a password and editing the config file in nano (in a seperate console, using alt + F2), and after typeing the relevant command stated in the gentoo installation guide (this is typed by hand, so please excuse any spelling mistakes):

Code:
cdimage root # modprobe pcmcia_core
cdimage root # modprobe i82365
PCI: Enabling device 00:0b.0 (0000 -> 0002)
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:0b.0 - using IRQ 255
PCI: Enabling device 00:0b.1 (0000 -> 0002)
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 00:0b.1 - using IRQ 255
cdimage root # modprobe ds
cdimage root # cardmgr -f
cardmgr[2949]: watching 2 sockets
cdimage root #

This is rather annoying to say the least. I would like to be able to continue without PCMCIA, but the network is required for Internet access, which rsync needs.
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=26716

Maybe you'll find something that helps...

If you are looking for error messages try typing "dmesg" or look in /var/log
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In google I found this: http://howto.gp.mines.edu/HOWTO/PCMCIA-HOWTO.html#ss2.4
So try excluding irq 3,5,9, hoping this works
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your help.

However, I don't think that ecluding the IRQs will help me here, as it is never hitting any of the excluded IRQs, but instead jumping straight to 255. Somehow, I have to force/pursade/pay it to use IRQ 11.

I will look at the startup log tomorrow night when I get back home and see if that throws up anything interesting. However, I have a feeling that I may never get it working, which kinda kills any prospects of me using Linux :(

Thanks again.
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've given up trying to install Gentoo on this laptop. I instead decided to install it on my main PC, onto a old HD I had knocking around. I ran into problems with this as well (I'm currently on day two of the install!) but I am slowley working through them.

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards,
-Ribs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: