Problems with Dell Inspiron 8200 w/mini-PCI Truemobile WIFI
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schwaz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Problems with Dell Inspiron 8200 w/mini-PCI Truemobile WIFI Reply with quote

I am having problems initializing my WIFI card before installing Gentoo. I initialize the cardmgr but it only detects the Ethernet port. I don't know what the module is for the card but I have tried Orinoco and Wavelan. Anyone who has made this work successfully, please let me know.
xr31Daisy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the model of your wifi-card ? Truemobile 1150 ? 1180 ? ( a simple cat /proc/pci should do the trick : if you see a third pcmcia slot, it's the 1150, if you see a broadcom adapter, it's the 1180. An alternate solution is to look directly at the hardware : if it's written BCM4301 on the chip, it's the 1180)

If it's the 1150, the orinoco should have done the trick.

If it's the Truemobile 1180, (let me guess, you just bought the new laptop, with the brand new card ? ) you're screwed, it's based on the Broadcom BCM 4301 chipset, and there are no linux drivers for this chipset.
I sincerely hope that's not your case.

<flamemode>
Broadcom sucks : they won't release a driver, they won't publish docs to enable anybody to write a driver. They won't even respond to a request for documentation ( Yeap, I did write, I didn't get any answer ). In the future, I'll try not to buy anything that's broadcom based. that's it.
</flamemode>

You can always try and sign the petition.
schwaz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the 1150 card. I bought the laptop in August. When I go to run wlan0, nothing happens. I am also running WEP and I am not sure how to initialize that.
CrimsonScythe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwaz:
I have the Truemobile 1150 and spent quite some time to get it working. I thought I had done something wrong during the setup since I could not connect to my AP at all, but it turned out that my problem was that the antenna cable had to be plugged in the second connector on the wireless card. Go figure! I wonder if my card might be a faulty one, but it might be worth trying... When I swapped the antenna connection, I just followed one of the pcmcia wireless card tutorials I found here on Gentoo forums. Good luck!
BTW, my card was recognized as eth1 and not wlan0 though.

If nothing helps, this might be a very good resource:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/

Thomas
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: