Install Trouble with Ultra 5 and latest Universal Installer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kozaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Install Trouble with Ultra 5 and latest Universal Installer Reply with quote

My plan was to make my premiere post on here after D/Ling the .iso, RTFM-ing, and logging on this site with a fresh install of Gentoo on my Sparc Ultra5. Unfortunately, I have had a few hiccups… :(

I have followed the instructions on the Gentoo Documentation page all the way up to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-sparc.xml?part=1&chap=6 .
I get stuck here:

livecd root # chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
livecd / # env-update
!!! Invalid token (not "=")
!!! ParseError: Invalid token (not '='): /etc/make.conf: line 7
!!! Incorrect multiline literals can cause this. Do not use them.

Can anyone help? I am using the latest .iso for the Sparc Ultra. I started the ssh daemon and tried to do this both from the keyboard and my WinDoze laptop. :?:

Thanks in advance!
:)
Kozaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I found THAT problem! Doh! Line 7 of my make.conf file had a bunch of garbage characters. Why? I don't know. I'm blaming my 5 year old. 8)

Now I get as far as http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-sparc.xml?part=1&chap=7 and when I emerge sparc-sources, the drive it is using fills up. :o I fdisk-ed it so that /home has about 7GB and /usr had about 9GB. I will cut and paste the exact error I am getting when I go home and try it again.
Kozaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm on here with the machine in question.... running Solaris 8. :(
liquiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kozaru wrote:
Well, I'm on here with the machine in question.... running Solaris 8. :(

I am going down the same road you are at the moment.

Here is what I have done so far to get around the problems you are encountering.

1. Not sure what the mirrorselect is doing but it does put garbage in there. I dont know if you need to run this command or not but once its done I just copy the make.conf to make.conf.bad and copy make.conf.example over the top of it. Just edit the new make.conf to match your system, I think the only thing I did was the CFLAGS since everything else was close enough.

2. When you do your fdisk do a "p" first to see what you have and 9 will you get you 10 that after you make all the "automatic" changes and do the "w" to write out the information another fdisk will show that you still have your original disklabel out there. To get around this I did the fdisk and deleted all the partitions and wrote that out. I then went in and did a fdisk and add the partitions by hand and then write out the data.

Im in the process of following the rest of the docs at the moment so I dont even know if what I did will be valid.

Peace,
Liquiz
guyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kozaru wrote:
Ok, I found THAT problem! Doh! Line 7 of my make.conf file had a bunch of garbage characters. Why? I don't know. I'm blaming my 5 year old. 8)

Brand new to Gentoo Sparc, been using Gentoo AMD64 for only about 2 months. I just encountered this same problem with the 2004.3 LiveCD. I originally set up the root partition with ReiserFS. When I got to this point, I also had a completely messed up make.conf file. Not really understanding what had happened and having read the admonitions about possible corruptions with Reiser, I started over and stuck with ext3. Again, when I got to this point make.conf was totally corrupted. Fortunately, I had read this thread and made a backup of make.conf, which I copied back and I'm now proceeding with a kernel compile.

There appears to be real problems with mirrorselect on Sparc in some circumstances.
toyz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When running mirrorselect - it gave me a bunch of mirrors that deny me. So I pulled up the make.conf on a box that I know has a good mirror and put that line in there.

Instead of:
Code:

mirrorselect -a -s4 -o |grep 'GENTOO_MIRRORS=' >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf

I did:
Code:

mirrorselect -a -s4 -o |grep 'GENTOO_MIRRORS='

Then pasted it in, this is a conservative approach. Of course 'paste' means that you are either in by ssh or serial from another box, if your sitting at a VC in front of the box, then I'm sorry you had to type in all the other commands in the install instructions... :wink:

Other ideas for copy paste... gpm and screen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: