DMA support creating cd-rom problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s003apr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: DMA support creating cd-rom problems Reply with quote

I have an irritating problem. I have been trying to get my cd-rw and cd-rom to work correctly with the vanilla 2.4.20 kernel.
Both cd drives are on ide1 (hard drive is by itself on ide0). The cd-rw is the primary and listed as /dev/hdc. the cd-rom is the slave and listed as /dev/hdd

The cd-rom drive has MAJOR problems. It will not mount at all. If I try to use the mount command or hdparm on it, it will lock up the console (ctrl-c won't kill it). Upon shutdown it will then give the following error:
Code:
irq.timeout: status=0xd0 {Busy}
end_request: I/O error dev 16:40 (hdd), sector 0
ide1: reset: success

The cd-rw however is at least semi-functional. It works, but it is irritatingly slow when I try to read from it (it stalls a whole lot). I can turn scsi emulatoin on and load the scsi modules and it will work fine when writing cds (in fact it can probably write them faster than read them). Turning SCSI off and using the drive as ide does not help at all.

I did find out I could fix the problem by completely disabling DMA in the kernel. However, I don't want this to be the solution because then my HD performance will suck.
When I turned on
    "Generic PCI bus_master DMA support"
    and
    "VIA 82cxxx support" (I have a via8235 chipset, which some of you probably know couldn't even get DMA working at all in the past)

The cd-rom problems occured once again.
Please note, I did not specify that the kernel should use DMA by default, and in fact it didn't. Checking with hdparm verified this. DMA was not turned on. I simply compiled support for it in the kernel.

Does anybody else have some ideas, the only ones I can come up with at this time is to try gentoo-sources or ac-sources.
s003apr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have made some significant strides in trying to fix this but there is still a problem remaining.
enabled "Generic PCI bus_master DMA support" and "Use DMA by default when available".
but disabled "VIA 82cxxx support"

The results were as follows: DMA was still not enabled when I booted (which is strange because I said that it should enable it by default.). The cd-roms worked well, apparently removing via 82cxxx support fixed this problem. I was also able to turn DMA on for the harddrive with:
Code:
hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

and this also worked (Yay!) So now I have what I want, a harddrive with DMA and cdroms that are much faster.

I'm still speculative about this approach because I know several others on the forum use this mobo and I have always seen everybody recommend that via82cxxx support be turned on. So I was wondering if anybody else has similar problems or a better idea of how to fix mine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: