libstdc++-v3-3.3.4 compile error on qube2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E-Werk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: libstdc++-v3-3.3.4 compile error on qube2 Reply with quote

hi

i tried to install gentoo on the cobalt qube2 with the help of kumba and the "testing" thread
...thanks to all nerds working out things on that platform :)

i have colo booting and using the netboot kernel provided by kumba.
it is not netbooting !! the machine can come up by itself and also is starting ssh.
i then tried to emerge world and it started withe many packages
... but failed to compile the big ones like libstdc++,glibc and the kernel (mips sources 2.4.27)....
i skipfirst resumed the update till all possible packs where emerged and compiled ....
so i ended with 6 ebuilds that didnt make it

Code:

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3.4  -debug -nls 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1 [2.3.3.20040420] -build -debug -erandom -hardened -makecheck -multilib -nls* (-nptl) -pic -userlocales 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] net-misc/iputils-021109-r3 [020927] -debug -ipv6 -static (-uclibc) 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] app-arch/tar-1.14.90 [1.14] -build -debug -nls -static 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/procps-3.2.3-r1 [3.1.15] -debug 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] app-shells/sash-3.7 [3.6] -debug +readline* 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

i have to say that after 2 attempts of emerging i also emerged
the mips kernel 2.6.8.1 and linked /usr/src/linux to it.

i didnt run any patches "peter hortons" or any other against any of the kernels
... just because i didnt know how :oops:

the fact that i just started with gentoo and linux makes it a little hard for me to find out
what exactly i have to look/search for when i get the compile error messages ..... so i ask here :)

Code:

3-3.3.4/work/gcc-3.3.4/gcc/../include  -DL_divdi3 -c /var/tmp/portage/libstdc++-v3-3.3.4/work/gcc-3.3.4/gcc/libgcc2.c -fexceptions -fnon-call-exceptions -o libgcc/./_divdi3.o
/var/tmp/portage/libstdc++-v3-3.3.4/temp/ccbpNWii.s: Assembler messages:
/var/tmp/portage/libstdc++-v3-3.3.4/temp/ccbpNWii.s:975: Error: operation combines symbols in different segments
make[2]: *** [libgcc/./_divdi3.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/libstdc++-v3-3.3.4/work/build/gcc'
make[1]: *** [libgcc.a] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/libstdc++-v3-3.3.4/work/build/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3.4 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 180, Exitcode 2

the machine is running since 5 days and i didnt reboot after all the emerging (and i dont want to). i want 1 kernel (2.4 or 2.6) to be cooked
before i reboot the cobalt.

maybe some enlightened person can give me a hint

tia

chris
Astral
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the kernel patches, just make sure you have the correct keyword in your make.conf, here is mine taken from kumba's tutorial:

USE="-* cobalt apache mysql mips ssl"

That will then cause portage to emerge and apply all cobalt patches for the kernel. The -* turns everything off, then I turn on what I want.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Must've missed this thread)

libstdc++-v3 is no longer used on mips, but it's a known fact that 3.3.4 doesn't build w/ a 3.4.x compiler. I think a few have hit this on sparc under the sparc64/gcc34 profile too. Not much I can do to fix it, I never used libstdc++-v3.

Kernel wise, just make sure you're using the cobalt profile (/usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips/cobalt/2004.2), and have "cobalt" in USE in make.conf.

One day, we'll get the docs updated, either when I get over this writer's block, or we get a docs dev.

--Kumba
crahen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing the same error trying to upgrade coreutils, gcc or glibc using a 3.3 compiler. Are there similar issues with that compiler as well?
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put one way, gcc-3.3.x is just plain "yesterday". We've been using 3.4 on mips rather successfully for awhile now, and it's needed to run code on Origin/Octane systems (C++ code, that is). The last 3.3.x that I remember working well was 3.3.4, but I used that briefly on one machine before kicking it over to 3.4.

--Kumba
crahen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand 3.3 is out of date. My question is really about how to get myself kicked over to 3.4. I'm compiling on te Qube itself and not succeeding - are you cross compiling? How did you avoid this error?
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a little like your binutils is shot. Hard to say, given that's an error I've not encountered, I can't concretely say for sure what the possible cause is.

What CFLAGS are you using, and are you using any additional flag settings, like LDFLAGS? If needed, I can post bin-packages of the running binutils/glibc/gcc on my raq2 that might have a better chance of working right than your build attempts.

--Kumba
crahen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CFLAGS="-O2"
USE="-* mips cobalt"

I've tried various other combinations but I can't get around that error.
It seems to me like it is something that needs a patch in the glibc and coreutils sources, ... data being defined in the wrong part of the binaries or something; I didnt look at the sources too closely
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth perhaps trying a µClibc-based userland?

If binutils/gcc is giving troubles, it might be worth trying to re-emerge those first, and see if you can fix the broken userland, but otherwise, µClibc might just avoid some of the bugs (and bloat) that's in glibc.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
crahen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already re-emerged binutils and gcc, but I still encounter that error. I'm pretty glibc needs a patch to fix it.

I'd give ulibc a shot, but I need to qube up and running and I've only got one - so I can't really expirement too much with it at the moment. I'm not sure how much actually will continue to work if I replace glibc.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to start from scratch if you want to goto uClibc. One of our embedded devs I believe runs such a setup on the Cobalt hardware, but I'm not entirely sure. You might consider joining #gentoo-mips on irc.freenode.net for further help (where we hang around more). If you do join, try not to be too scared off by some of the devs, we can be a little harsh to people who ask the wrong "type" of question :)

--Kumba
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: