Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can't update because of modutils and libpcap...!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danielrm26
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Can't update because of modutils and libpcap...!!! Reply with quote

Greetings,

I am getting really frustrated here. I have been loving my Gentoo boxen for weeks now and then a while back both of my installs went bad in exactly the same way.

When I do 'emerge -u system' I get an error on modutils everytime, and on both machines!

I don't see what it could be. I have installed a program called Puresecure on both machines (by Demarc), and I have installed nmap, ethereal, ngrep, tcpflow, on both too. Other than that I haven't done anything the same. They are vastly different hardware and in different environments seeing different traffic.

The error I get when it goes bad is that there are too many levels of symbolic links. I am pretty sure that should tell me something, but what I don't know.

Please help.

Thanks,

Daniel
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you print some output error?

Well don't know the cause / problem, but I found it sometimes helps to delete /var/cache/edb/dep dir.
danielrm26
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Gentoo installs gone bad... Reply with quote

Here is the error I get:

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/modutils-2.4.16/work/modutils-2.4.16/util'
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/modutils-2.4.16/work/modutils-2.4.16/obj'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/modutils-2.4.16/work/modutils-2.4.16/obj'
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/modutils-2.4.16/work/modutils-2.4.16/insmod'
ln -sf insmod modprobe
make[1]: execvp: ln: Too many levels of symbolic links
make[1]: *** [modprobe] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/modutils-2.4.16/work/modutils-2.4.16/insmod'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 23, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

!!! emerge aborting on /usr/portage/sys-apps/modutils/modutils-2.4.16.ebuild .
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

error 127 is a permission error. And execvp ELOOP Indicates too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the path name/ Number of symbolic links encountered during path name traversal exceeds MAXSYMLINKS. But why?
danielrm26
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Gentoo... Reply with quote

Exactly.

It is just reallly discouraging. I don't see how I can be all enthused about Gentoo anymore when I have to worry about unsolvable problems with the install happening just whenever.

I take several hours to completely configure my system and then it just shits itself?

Bad form. Looks like I am going to another distro.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo... Reply with quote

danielrm26 wrote:
I don't see how I can be all enthused about Gentoo anymore when I have to worry about unsolvable problems with the install happening just whenever.

I believe those are called 'bugs'.

danielrm26 wrote:
Bad form. Looks like I am going to another distro.

When you find a distro that doesn't have any bugs, please let us know. I'm sure we'll all want to move to it immediately.

Regarding your error message, I have no idea what is causing it -- modutils compiled just fine on my system. However, IIRC, you get the "too many levels of symbolic links" message when trying to resolve a pathname that has more than 8 symlinks in it. My guess is either the build process can't remove the existing symlink or its trying to create a recursive symlink.

Have you tried unmerging the old modutils before merging the new version? Have you ensured that root can, in fact, remove the existing modprobe symlink?

--kurt
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope its got nothing to do with an inode-count of your ext2/ext3 filesystem. Don't think its a bug, and especially not one having to do with the distro. if you have ext2/3 try tune2fs -l /dev/hda? (/var/tmp partition) and check your inode counts. Think you have to look in this direction rather then stating its a bug.

Cya lX.

Ps: Debian is the best alternative (binary, bit outdated, but stable), Mandrake is the user friendly (A step between turning to linux from windows, also binary).
danielrm26
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo... Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
I believe those are called bugs.

I know, dude. I am just upset. Don't mind me. Gentoo still rules. I am not going to bail. I am just talking shit because I'm pissed.

:)
danielrm26
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got in a new hard drive, one of the special edition Western Digitals, and I am anxious to redo my main Gentoo box.

I just want to make sure that I have found the cause of my problem so that I can maybe avoid it this time.

:)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrm26 wrote:
I just want to make sure that I have found the cause of my problem so that I can maybe avoid it this time.

Again, try unmerging your existing version of modutils before emerging the new one.

--kurt
danielrm26
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done that already. :(

When I went to install it again it threw the same error.

Also, when I try to update world it gives me the same error with libpcap.

Do you think that I could have omitted some USE options that caused this?

Also, I have XFS on one system and EXT3 on the other...so i agree that it probably isn't a filesystem problem.

Thanks for the help you guys are offering...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: