Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Switch from Gentoo to MacosX
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lamaditx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Switch from Gentoo to MacosX Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
I ordere one of the new Imacs and will use the MacOSX - of course with portage. Now I was asking myself if there are any good tools or aticles about switching from gentoo to macosx since I will need to transfer all of my data.

Thanks,
Adrian
frameRATE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm switching myself right now, but I don't know an easy way to transfer files. Just burn backups or ftp them on over..

Linux User | 364705

howto install coldfusion mx 7 under gentoo
vandahm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this post is old, but I'll offer my thoughts anyway...

I don't know of a good article about migrating to OS X from Linux and other more conventional UNIX-like systems. Most of your data is probably in your home directory, right? Just copy it over. You can do this with a CD-R or a USB keychain drive, but I transfer files between my Mac and my other UNIX machines through my home network. OS X can mount NFS and Samba shares and is capable of running an FTP server. Even if you don't know how to set up NFS or Samba on your Linux box, you can temporarily enable the FTP server on your Macintosh and upload your files to it that way.

For me, the most difficult part of the transition was migrating my favorite programs to OS X. I had grown spoiled by the convenience that Portage offered and had forgotten how irritating it is to track down and install dependencies (and dependencies of dependencies) by hand. Now that Portage is available on OS X, it's not nearly as bad. But Portage for OS X, as excellent as it is, still won't build a number of packages that are important to me. Fortunately, that list is getting smaller all the time...

Steve
MACSRULETHEWORLD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a hack for osx that allows it to see ext2 and ext3 formatted hardisks, its called Ext2 FileSystem
kranki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also look at your file naming on Linux. MacOSX HFS+ is case-insensitive. So, "XxX.txt" is the same as "xxx.txt" or "XXX.txt" on MacOSX. However, these are normally separate files on Linux.

I use cvs to keep some data current on Linux and MacOSX. For MacOSX, it is only installed when you install the developer tools. I set up a Linux box as the cvs server.

Hope that helps.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: