Why doesn't emerge use multithreading?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jivera
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Why doesn't emerge use multithreading? Reply with quote

I'm under the impression that wget'ing files is mostly limited by network capacity and is (relatively) very non-processor intensive... if so, since compiling's bottleneck is the opposite, wouldn't it make sense to setup emerge to have one thread that is responsible for downloading all the needed tarballs while another thread handles building them? It wouldn't make any difference for singe package builds, but when emerging system or updating world it might make a significant difference.

It's possible there's a valid reason this hasn't been implemented yet... It's just a thought I had the other day when watching my system build. (I just started using Gentoo about a week ago.)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you'd like to take a look at carpaski's (rather dated, by now) ideas in the bug referenced in GF4: Can portage build one package while downloading others?.
jivera
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, thanks - sorry, I should have searched for that first...

I'm still confused a bit, however - the bugzilla page seems to imply that concurrent downloading and compiling has been implemented in portage, but it doesn't seem to be that way for me... (is there no more elegant/error-safe method than running emerge -f world on one terminal and the appropriae counterpart command in another?) Maybe I completely misunderstood the threads...
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jivera wrote:
the bugzilla page seems to imply that concurrent downloading and compiling has been implemented in portage, but it doesn't seem to be that way for me.
I read it as saying that there's a parallel "threaded" portage track, but I don't think it's rolled into the official portage.
Quote:
(is there no more elegant/error-safe method than running emerge -f world on one terminal and the appropriae counterpart command in another?)
I don't think that method is error-safe, and that's part of the problem. I personally never allow more than one emerge process to be running on one machine at any time, except for non-privileged things like "emerge -s". Maybe the probability of anything bad happening is pretty low, but if you get a corrupted Portage database, it's a pretty deadly thing. You can end up having to reinstall your entire system.
jivera
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac: I read it as saying that there's a parallel "threaded" portage track, but I don't think it's rolled into the official portage.

Oh, I misread then - I saw one of he links mentioning patches for version 2.0.35 (or so) and so became under the impression it'd been merged into official portage...

I don't think that method is error-safe, and that's part of the problem.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear... when I said more error-proof, I didn't mean to imply the multiple threads is at all error-proof - I understand that it isn't.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: