Composed version number [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acreal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Composed version number [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi,

i tried to make an ebuild for wmii as stated here.

The problem is that wmii version is wmii-1-current which seems to trouble portage, so when calling my ebuild file wmii-1-current.ebuild and defining SRC_URL as "http://website/${P}.tar.gz" it says that the ebuild has no version.

Problem resolved by the dirty trick of using a wmii-1.ebuild file and the declaration of SRC_URL="http://site/${P}-current.tar.gz" which, if i get this right, would install package wmii-1 in version -current. right ?

So, what i don't understand is why the original file i started from (/usr/portage/x11-wm/wmi-10.ebuild) doesn't have this problem. Must be missing something...

Anyway, my question is is there a way to define a "composed string" (-1-current) as the version number ?

Sorry for the dumb question. :)

Last edited by acreal on Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
TrueDFX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Composed version number Reply with quote

acreal wrote:
Hi,

i tried to make an ebuild for wmii as stated here.

The problem is that wmii version is wmii-1-current which seems to trouble portage, so when calling my ebuild file wmii-1-current.ebuild and defining SRC_URL as "http://website/${P}.tar.gz" it says that the ebuild has no version.
Code:
                            Versions are normally made up of two or three numbers separated by periods,
                            such  as  1.2 or 4.5.2.  This string may be followed by a character such as
                            1.2a or 4.5.2z.  Note that this letter is  not  meant  to  indicate  alpha,
                            beta,  etc...  status.   For  that, use the optional suffix; either _alpha,
                            _beta, _pre (pre-release), _rc (release candidate), or  _p  (patch).   This
                            means  for  the  3rd pre-release of a package, you would use something like
                            1.2_pre3.
(From man 5 ebuild) That's all you can do with version numbers.
Quote:
Problem resolved by the dirty trick of using a wmii-1.ebuild file and the declaration of SRC_URL="http://site/${P}-current.tar.gz" which, if i get this right, would install package wmii-1 in version -current. right ?
That's not a dirty trick, that's how you're supposed to handle it. Portage doesn't care about the '-current' and ignores it. As far as portage cares, you're installing wmii-1.
Quote:
So, what i don't understand is why the original file i started from (/usr/portage/x11-wm/wmi-10.ebuild) doesn't have this problem. Must be missing something...

10 is a valid version number in portage, so nothing special is needed.
Quote:
Anyway, my question is is there a way to define a "composed string" (-1-current) as the version number ?

Nope, sorry.

PS: It's SRC_URI, not SRC_URL.
acreal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how do i make portage find the /var/tmp/portage/wmii-1/work/wmii-1-current/ then ? Shall i use something like MY_V="current" or .... ?

thanks a lot...

PS: Oops, first time messing with portage :) but you probably already guessed that ;)
TrueDFX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do this:
Code:
MY_P=${P}-current
S=${WORKDIR}/${MY_P}
acreal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works like a charm, thanks !

Didn't look that clear to me in the ebuild howto.

Have a nice day. :)

ps: you should try wmi ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: