Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
yenta_socket and i82365 minor confusion no problem!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkG
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: yenta_socket and i82365 minor confusion no problem! Reply with quote

I'm just tidying up a few loose ends following a 1.4-rc2 install on my Dell Inspiron 4000 Laptop. The install went pretty smoothly apart from a corrupt iso image (in future I'll be checking MD5 checksums) and the classic 'who's stolen gcc' problem. The previous install was done in March/April (Gentoo 0.9x?) and continually updated. The main reason for reinstalling was I wanted gcc 3.2 to use with Gnat Ada and I needed to repartition the disk.

The Confusion...

My network adapter is a CardBus Netgear FA 510c, which uses the tulip kernel module. During the installation process I need to load the following modules to bring up a network connection:
pcmcia_core
i82365
ds
cb_enabler
tulip_cb

But after the installation i82365 fails to load, but strangely the following set of modules works fine:
pcmcia_core
yenta_socket
ds
tulip

This isn't a problem but it is confusing, I noticed this when I first installed Gentoo 0.9 and just thought I'd missed something or it was a quirk of the early version of the install. Anyone care to shed some light on the mysteries of CardBus and PCMCIA?

That's it, now its time for me to get networking to start on boot... I know the answer to this one!

MarkG
chadh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick answer: the kernel provides drivers and the pcmcia-cs package provides drivers. Your pcmcia controller apparently works with both. The pcmcia-cs package provides the i82365 driver, and that is what the install cd contains. When you built your kernel, you enabled the kernel drivers for your pcmcia controller and pcmcia cards. So when you rebooted with your new kernel, you had to use yenta_socket driver instead.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: