strange networking issue when emerging
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattkosorok2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: strange networking issue when emerging Reply with quote

I am attempting to emerge various programs ( say, kde for an example ). At first, emerge says it's trying to connect to a site for download, with the address (1.0.0.0), and of course, will timeout because that IP address is invalid. So if I ping the target address, I receive back a valid IP address. Then I start my emerge again ( I'm actually just using emerge --fetchonly kde, but the results are the same regardless of what I emerge ). Then, that first item will connect successfully and I'll be able to get that first item. However, a few minutes later, the same (1.0.0.0) thing comes right back, and I have to ping the target site again and retry the emerge. This is all very annoying. Any ideas?
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen anything like that, but it sounds like it might be related to dns and a proxy. Are you using a proxy? Can you post your make.conf? Do you have a .wgetrc file in root's home directory?
mattkosorok2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: networking info Reply with quote

I'm not using a proxy. However, here's my internet hookup info:

I have a DSL modem hooked into the phone jack.
I have a linksys router hooked into the dsl modem.
The computer in question is hooked into the linksys router.

Here's my make.conf

CFLAGS="091 -mcpu=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i386-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS-"${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="X qt kde alsa postgres mysql opengl pda xmms cups ssl java oggvorbis xml php"

in my /etc/conf.d/net here's what I have

iface+eth0="dhcp"
gateway="eth0/192.168.1.1"

and my /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 192.168.0.1
nameserver 205.171.3.65

So then I try emerge --fetchonly kde and I get the following:

Resolving gentoo.osuosl.org. . . 1.0.0.0
Connecting to gentoo.osuosl.org[1.0.0.0]:80. . .

Which of course it won't find. So I hit CTRL+C and type this:

ping -c 1 gentoo.osuosl.org

It finds it just fine. So I then relaunch the emerge --fetchonly kde and it can find the first file without issue. Maybe even a few more. But once it's been on for a couple minutes, it kicks out and gives me the [1.0.0.0] problem again.

BTW, I appreciate the assistance.
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The network setup seems a bit odd. You have a gateway and dns on different networks. I'm assuming you are using the built in dhcp server on the router. Those routers will set the gateway for you so you probably don't want to set it in your conf.d/net file. For that matter, you can let it set the dns server for you as well (as long as it is pointing to the correct one itself).

Everything else looks pretty good. Please attach the output of ifconfig so I can see which network you are really on.
mattkosorok2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: more on the [1.0.0.0] issue Reply with quote

I disabled the gateway entry in the conf.d/net file.

What info from the ifconfig do you want? It says inet addr: 192.168.1.101 bcase 192.168.1.255 and mask 255.255.255.0

What other info do you need?
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I wanted to see. Your nameserver is on a different net than you are on. Now if you do a netstat -rn after you restart you network, did you get a new gateway from dhcp? Do you h ave a flag set in dhcp to prevent it from writing your /etc/resolv.conf?
mattkosorok2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Tell me about this flag thing. I don't know anything about that. Where would it be and what would it look like? I have to take off for a few hours. I'll try the rest of the stuff you said later this evening. Thanks for the ideas!

Question: What can I put into my make.conf file to ensure always using the same mirror for all the distribution files? If I could force the thing to always use one mirror, or a short list of fast mirrors, then I would have less of a problem, and wouldn't hit the .nl .de or .ch mirrors all the time.
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get details of flags to specify to dhcpcd in the man page. You can put those files in you /etc/conf.d/net file in the dhcpcd_eth0 variable. If you don't know about it, you did not set it. Given that, you should be receiving a nameserver entry from the linksys. Is your linksys setup to use (and pass) a dns server?

Use the GENTOO_MIRRORS variable in your make.conf to specify mirror(s) to use. The comments in the make.conf.example should give you enough detail to set it up.
mattkosorok2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: frustrated Reply with quote

Okay folks. This is just not working. I may need to have things spelled out for me. What do I need to do to fix this problem? What's wrong with my resolver? Why can't I force emerge to use only the mirrors I told it to under GENTOO_MIRRORS in my /etc/make.conf? What's an internet thingy I can use to download the distribution files I need by hand from somewhere?
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems pretty odd that the GENTOO_MIRRORS thing did not work either. What happens when you use wget by hand to download files? Have you tried re-emerging portage?
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Networking & Security in favour of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=219302
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: