Update/emerge kernel how-to?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmuser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Update/emerge kernel how-to? Reply with quote

I have been running gentoo now for a couple of months, no problems and rock solid!! I love it!

Just a one question, though, the other day I wanted to get the new nvidia glx (command emerge nvidia-glx) driver. Well, emerge told me I need the new kernel (I am currently running 2.4.19-r1 original install!). Anyway the emerge went fine of course I was still running the old kernel, I recompiled and editted /boot/menu.lst to add my new kernel. ) Since I was not running the new kernel during the first "emerge nvidia-glx" it really never installed the modules, since none were compiled! Also when I booted into my new kernel eth0 didn't come up and init didn't start ANY service (it gave me an error about not starting , sorry I didn't write it down, but I can get it if anyone wants it). Long story, cut short.... I unmerged nvidia-glx-29xx and re-emerged nvidia-glx 2880 in the old kernel. I guess if someone could tell me how to emerge a new kernel properly (including configuring GRUB) I could give it another try. Sorry about the lack of details I'm at work ;) so I just needed to get my machine back ASAP. If anyone want more information I will be glad to supply. BTW I did do a search for "update kernel" and "emerge kernel" and didn't find anything.

Thanks
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've answered similar posts a couple of times now and luckely someone did the thing to do and created an post in the Tips&tricks section so I will just refer to it:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3913

Cya lX.
mmuser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking it easy on me, I really did search first though!!!!

:)
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, but just to be on the safe side:
I didn't mean anything (bad) by it (i'm a kind person, acting in the spirit pf the linux community, helping each other :lol: ), but I was just thanking the guy for putting it up there, else I would have just typed whole kernel-compile story again, I don't mind, but if I can redirect somebody I will.

Good luck with your gentoo box, lX.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: