Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, I can answer that one: No.

Applying the patch and then attempting compilation gives the following error:
Code:

fs/built-in.o(.text+0x771af): In function `mask_ok_common':
: undefined reference to `generic_permission'

A little bit of searching turned up this post.

So I called ld fs/built-in.o, and got about a half a meg's worth of errors I won't reprint here. The patch provided changes fs/reiser4/plugin/security/perm.c, and that's where the mask_ok_common function is, so we can safely assume the problem lies there. Further research follows:
Code:
static int
mask_ok_common(struct inode *inode, int mask)
{
 return generic_permission(inode, mask, NULL);
}

Note how the method used to solve the problem posted in the link above is now the problem itself. Curious now, I go back to the patch and see if the line has been added:
Code:
$ cat reiser4-from-2.6.9-cko3-to-2.6.9-nitro4.patch |grep generic
+       return generic_permission(inode, mask, NULL);

Ah. Yes, the patch has definitely caused the problem there, and indeed the line "return vfs_permission(inode, mask);" was removed, which was of course the problem in linux-2.6.9-rc1-mm5 again as indicated by the link above. Curious, I went back to undo that specific instance in the patched nitro4 and tried to compile it again.

Aaaand it compiles. No debug output besides all the warnings everyone's used to. Unfortunately, I can't test the kernel right now since I have class, but if anyone's curious...just apply the cko3 to nitro4 patch Pepek gave us, then undo the change on L16 of fs/reiser4/plugin/security/perm.c and it should compile.
lenk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't access the addons directory, getting 403 forbidden. http://sepi.be/nitro/2.6.9-nitro4/addons/
Sun Ultra5 Gentoo
Enderson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aplied the patches against development-sources-2.6.9 OK?

I can't find the reisr4 in menu? Is that supposed to be there? or just selecting reiserfs suppor it will compile support for reiser4 ?

[EDIT]
OK I found!

Unselected the 4k stack at kernel hack.
[EDIT}

Last edited by Enderson on Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
miseiler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enderson wrote:
Aplied the patches against development-sources-2.6.9 OK?

No, not okay. This is applied against vanilla 2.6.9 sources. Just use the ebuild provided in the first post. If your patch applied cleanly, I'd be pretty surprised.

Enderson wrote:
I can't find the reisr4 in menu? Is that supposed to be there? or just selecting reiserfs suppor it will compile support for reiser4 ?

I guess they didn't apply cleanly, since reiser4 support IS in the menu for the nitro4 kernel. It is not in the development-sources kernel. My guess is you're just trying to compile development-sources.
IainCE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enderson wrote:

Disable 4k stacks
Pepek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miseiler wrote:
Nevermind, I can answer that one: No.

Applying the patch and then attempting compilation gives the following error:
Code:

fs/built-in.o(.text+0x771af): In function `mask_ok_common':
: undefined reference to `generic_permission'

A little bit of searching turned up this post.

So I called ld fs/built-in.o, and got about a half a meg's worth of errors I won't reprint here. The patch provided changes fs/reiser4/plugin/security/perm.c, and that's where the mask_ok_common function is, so we can safely assume the problem lies there. Further research follows:
Code:
static int
mask_ok_common(struct inode *inode, int mask)
{
 return generic_permission(inode, mask, NULL);
}

Note how the method used to solve the problem posted in the link above is now the problem itself. Curious now, I go back to the patch and see if the line has been added:
Code:
$ cat reiser4-from-2.6.9-cko3-to-2.6.9-nitro4.patch |grep generic
+       return generic_permission(inode, mask, NULL);

Ah. Yes, the patch has definitely caused the problem there, and indeed the line "return vfs_permission(inode, mask);" was removed, which was of course the problem in linux-2.6.9-rc1-mm5 again as indicated by the link above. Curious, I went back to undo that specific instance in the patched nitro4 and tried to compile it again.

Aaaand it compiles. No debug output besides all the warnings everyone's used to. Unfortunately, I can't test the kernel right now since I have class, but if anyone's curious...just apply the cko3 to nitro4 patch Pepek gave us, then undo the change on L16 of fs/reiser4/plugin/security/perm.c and it should compile.

Sorry about that stupid mistake. generic_permission should be vfs_permission (only since kernel 2.6.10-rc1 this should be generic_permission). I fix that and now my patch for reiser4 should be good.

Cheers. 8)
For Other users :
Sorry for my english, I know it's bad, but I think it's at least understandable ;)
MrApples
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenk wrote:
I can't access the addons directory, getting 403 forbidden. http://sepi.be/nitro/2.6.9-nitro4/addons/
its working fine for me
Pepek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdkbx wrote:
Pepek wrote:

Sure I can, but first I need to know : with this my patch software suspend with fbsplash works fine or not ?

how is it suposed to work? any settings in hibernate.conf needed? on which vt's have to be splash screens? do you need to boot in silent mode?
when i compile it in the kernel, with or without textmode support, nothing happens.

I don't know exactly how is it supposed to work, because I don't use swsusp, but I think it is supposed to work like bootsplash + swsusp. About settings in hibernate.conf - if in this file are any settings for bootsplash, than that settings are needed for fbsplash too, I think. About on which vt's have to be splash screens - on any you want, because this module check this. About boot in the silent mode - this should work on any mode of fbsplash (both silent and verbose).
You can check is it works, because with this and fbslash enabled (splash is on any vt) swsusp should can suspend machine and then resume it. If hibernate get some errors with suspend/resume about the splash, that means this not work. If hibernate first suspend and than resume w/o any errors and splash is still on that vt's on which one was enabled, that means this work (and than I will be vary happy :D ).

Cheers. 8)
For Other users :
Sorry for my english, I know it's bad, but I think it's at least understandable ;)
lenk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can access http://sepi.be/nitro/2.6.9-nitro4/addons/acx100-2.6.8-rc2-bk2.diff , but I can't download the files.
Sun Ultra5 Gentoo
seppe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepek, I tried your gensplash patch for Swsusp, but it doesn't work. Well, I see the gensplash when I boot normally, but I don't see it when I hibernate or resume from a hibernate. But maybe I have to change something in my hibernate.conf?

Latest release I made: 2.6.13.2-nitro1
cybe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppe wrote:
cybe wrote:
no LUFS? =(

No, because you can do "emerge lufs" as well to get it :)

Well, first of all, one needs the lufs kernel module

Code:
(~:$)->mount /mnt/landoFTP
mount failed: No such device
you don't have kernel lufs support (check whether the lufs module is available/loaded)

and I believe the lufs ebuild is still so old that it only has 2.4 kernel support...I've been using the CVS version..
jdkbx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepek wrote:

I don't know exactly how is it supposed to work, because I don't use swsusp, but I think it is supposed to work like bootsplash + swsusp. About settings in hibernate.conf - if in this file are any settings for bootsplash, than that settings are needed for fbsplash too, I think. About on which vt's have to be splash screens - on any you want, because this module check this. About boot in the silent mode - this should work on any mode of fbsplash (both silent and verbose).
You can check is it works, because with this and fbslash enabled (splash is on any vt) swsusp should can suspend machine and then resume it. If hibernate get some errors with suspend/resume about the splash, that means this not work. If hibernate first suspend and than resume w/o any errors and splash is still on that vt's on which one was enabled, that means this work (and than I will be vary happy :D ).

Cheers. 8)

right now i'm using fbsplash with the image inside initramfs.cpio.gz, so you can say its compiled in the kernel. i only use verbose mode. when i boot i see the image on vt0. when i shutdown it's still on vt0. as long as i don't start the spalsh service all other terminals are normal. when i suspend, it suspends in text mode. on resume i see the splash image until it the kernel is copied back and it starts to say "reading caches". in that moment the textmode acts like its on a non-fbsplash terminal and puts its output just over the splash image with a black background where it draws. so fbsplash works (like you described it) without your patch. with it, there wasn't any change.

im gonna try with bootsplash support in hibernate.conf now. with and w/o your patch. gonna post results later.

as far as i understand it, bootsplash support means that swsusp2 manipulates the progress bar of a splash image while resuming. if u turn on bootsplash support in hibernate.conf then /usr/local/share/hibernate/scriplets.d/bootsplash will be called. this wants to set things in /proc/splash, that isn't there of course. maybe just adapting it to /proc/fbsplash could help (just guessing).
as far as your patch is concerned, i doesn't do anything on my system. with or without nothing changes. i don't know if bootsplash would work either.
iBormuth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !!!

Nitro is the best if you want reiser4 *and* a stable kernel.

8) Love it.
jblechert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: xorg + fbcon (vesa-tng) gives trouble Reply with quote

luckily not much trouble, just a minor problem, fbcon runs smooth aslong as X hasn't been started, however, after X was started every time I change the console (not just from X to console but under the several consoles aswell), the screen seems to re-adjust itself and the sound is skipped for about 1/10th second. This also happens when X is closed but has been started before (after a reboot everything works fine again)
Pepek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdkbx wrote:
Pepek wrote:

Cheers. 8)

right now i'm using fbsplash with the image inside initramfs.cpio.gz, so you can say its compiled in the kernel. i only use verbose mode. when i boot i see the image on vt0. when i shutdown it's still on vt0. as long as i don't start the spalsh service all other terminals are normal. when i suspend, it suspends in text mode. on resume i see the splash image until it the kernel is copied back and it starts to say "reading caches". in that moment the textmode acts like its on a non-fbsplash terminal and puts its output just over the splash image with a black background where it draws. so fbsplash works (like you described it) without your patch. with it, there wasn't any change.

im gonna try with bootsplash support in hibernate.conf now. with and w/o your patch. gonna post results later.

as far as i understand it, bootsplash support means that swsusp2 manipulates the progress bar of a splash image while resuming. if u turn on bootsplash support in hibernate.conf then /usr/local/share/hibernate/scriplets.d/bootsplash will be called. this wants to set things in /proc/splash, that isn't there of course. maybe just adapting it to /proc/fbsplash could help (just guessing).
as far as your patch is concerned, i doesn't do anything on my system. with or without nothing changes. i don't know if bootsplash would work either.

I was adapted this in my module from /proc/splash to the /proc/fbsplash, but if the hibernate wants to set things in the /proc/splash, than I have to look to the code of hibernate, but in this week I will be very busy, so I don't know when I did it.

Cheers. 8)
For Other users :
Pepek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: xorg + fbcon (vesa-tng) gives trouble Reply with quote

jblechert wrote:
luckily not much trouble, just a minor problem, fbcon runs smooth aslong as X hasn't been started, however, after X was started every time I change the console (not just from X to console but under the several consoles aswell), the screen seems to re-adjust itself and the sound is skipped for about 1/10th second. This also happens when X is closed but has been started before (after a reboot everything works fine again)

If you use vesa-tng try w/o vesa-tng, but with vesa.

Cheers. 8)
For Other users :
HecHacker1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a major problem with this kernel... Once i reach a certain number of open windows with Firefox, Thunderbird, and Gxine my computer begins to freeze up. When I look at the RAM and Swap disk monitor that XFCE4 has, I see my RAM shoot up from the normal 100MB usage all the way to fill up my ram! Thats 1GB's worth. Also, after the RAM fills it begins to fill the SWAP disk which is also 1GB. Once the swap disk fills, then both of them fall to normal levels for a split second, only to shoot right back up and start the cycle again...

Once I do a ctrl+alt+backspace to force quit X then everything goes back to normal.

The only new things since the last Nitro kernel is a new build of firefox and the new Folding@Home 5.02 client. I think that something is wrong with the kernel once I reach a certain amount of MB's.

Help.
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the people asking for the lufs kernel module patch!
Download this and apply with
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro4
bzcat lufs-for-2.6.9-nitro4.patch.bz2 | patch -p1 --dry-run
If you do not see any rejects remove the "--dry-run" part.

[edit]DO NOT TRY THIS PATCH WITH ANY 2.6.10 KERNEL, it is broken because of a change in 2.6.10[/edit]
jblechert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: xorg + fbcon (vesa-tng) gives trouble Reply with quote

Pepek wrote:

Cheers. 8)

I use splash so I don't think this is an option, anyways, I wasn't asking for help, I can live with this bug, I just wanted to point out that it is there, but thanks anyway :)
Pepek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: xorg + fbcon (vesa-tng) gives trouble Reply with quote

jblechert wrote:
Pepek wrote:

Cheers. 8)

I use splash so I don't think this is an option, anyways, I wasn't asking for help, I can live with this bug, I just wanted to point out that it is there, but thanks anyway :)

Fbsplash works fine with vesafb and with vesafb-tng, so you can try this w/o vesafb-tng.

Cheers. 8)
For Other users :
redshift
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the BadRam patch back in, though it seemingly hasn't been updated at the official site since 2.6.5. If no one has created a new patch, I'll post a patch for the next version. I hacked it into nitro4 today and it works fine.
Francis85
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if it could be possible to add the device-mapper patches

http://sources.redhat.com/dm/patches.html

ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/dm/patches/2.6-unstable/2.6.9/2.6.9-udm1.tar.bz2

This patch is needed to use dmraid properly (see http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/readme )
Nate_S
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new nitro is feelin great so far; first time I've gotten vesafb-tng to work.

Pepek wrote:
EmmEff wrote:
Compiles and boots fine, but I cannot install the ivtv drivers on it...

Code:

/var/tmp/portage/ivtv-0.2.0_rc2/work/ivtv-0.2.0-rc2f/driver/ivtv-driver.c:427:59: macro "create_workqueue" requires 2 arguments, but only 1 given
/var/tmp/portage/ivtv-0.2.0_rc2/work/ivtv-0.2.0-rc2f/driver/ivtv-driver.c: In function `ivtv_init_struct':
/var/tmp/portage/ivtv-0.2.0_rc2/work/ivtv-0.2.0-rc2f/driver/ivtv-driver.c:427: error: `create_workqueue' undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/tmp/portage/ivtv-0.2.0_rc2/work/ivtv-0.2.0-rc2f/driver/ivtv-driver.c:427: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/var/tmp/portage/ivtv-0.2.0_rc2/work/ivtv-0.2.0-rc2f/driver/ivtv-driver.c:427: error: for each function it appears in.)
/var/tmp/portage/ivtv-0.2.0_rc2/work/ivtv-0.2.0-rc2f/driver/ivtv-driver.c:432:57: macro "create_workqueue" requires 2 arguments, but only 1 given

Go to the /var/tmp/portage/ivtv-0.2.0_rc2/work/ivtv-0.2.0-rc2f/driver directory, than open that file (ivtv-driver.c) and change line number 427 from this :
Code:
   itv->vbi_work_queues = create_workqueue("ivtv_vbi");
to this :
Code:
   itv->vbi_work_queues = create_workqueue("ivtv_vbi", PF_SYNCTHREAD);
, than change line 432 too from this :
Code:
   itv->fw_work_queues = create_workqueue("ivtv_fw");
to this :
Code:
   itv->fw_work_queues = create_workqueue("ivtv_fw", PF_SYNCTHREAD);
and than try to compile (now you can't do emerge ..., but you have to use `ebuild /path/to/that/ebuild merge`).

Cheers. 8)

Thanks a lot. I was having the same problem and this fixed it such that it would compile.

however, if you don't mind, I'm having one more problem. When compiling, it gives this:

Code:

CC [M] /usr/local/src/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck100z/driver/ivtv-firmware.o
/usr/local/src/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck100z/driver/ivtv-firmware.c: In function `load_fw_direct':
/usr/local/src/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck100z/driver/ivtv-firmware.c:106: warning: implicit declaration of function `open'
/usr/local/src/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck100z/driver/ivtv-firmware.c:112: warning: implicit declaration of function `lseek'
/usr/local/src/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck100z/driver/ivtv-firmware.c:123: warning: implicit declaration of function `read'
/usr/local/src/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck100z/driver/ivtv-firmware.c:129: warning: implicit declaration of function `close'

and later this...

LD [M]  /usr/local/src/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck100z/driver/ivtv-fb.o
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST
*** Warning: "close" [/usr/local/src/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck100z/driver/ivtv.ko] undefined!
*** Warning: "open" [/usr/local/src/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck100z/driver/ivtv.ko] undefined!
*** Warning: "read" [/usr/local/src/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck100z/driver/ivtv.ko] undefined!
*** Warning: "lseek" [/usr/local/src/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck100z/driver/ivtv.ko] undefined!

when I try to modprobe it, it fails and gives this in dmesg:
Code:

ivtv: Unknown symbol lseek
ivtv: Unknown symbol read
ivtv: Unknown symbol open
ivtv: Unknown symbol close

Thanks in advance for any help

-Nate
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For LIRC problems look here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=186453&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Greets
kos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: 2.6.9-nitroX feedback Reply with quote

I'm having two problems with 2.6.9-nitroX kernels (tried 2.6.9-nitro1 and now -nitro4):

1. it traps on startkde, somewhere in artsd. Here's what screen of death says: (sorry, had to hand-write it)
Code:

unable to handle paging request at virtual address ...
pde = 0000000
Oops: 0002 [#1]
Modules linked in: .. (my usual modules)
EIP is at enqueue_task+0x2b/0x40
process artsd (...)
Stack ...
Call Trace:
    scheduker_tick+0x2cb/0x320
    do_timer+0x29/0xd0
    timer_interrupt+0x53/0x140
    handle_IRQ_event+0x34/0x60
    do_IRQ+0x90/0x140
    common_interrupt+0x18/0x20
Code: ....
<0> Kernel panic - not syncing! Fatal exception in interrupt

I don't have this problem on 2.6.8.1-nitro6. I also tried to play with pci=noacpi, noapic, disableapic -- no difference.

2. I have problems with mounts. I have two binds in my fstab:
Code:

/wd/ftp  /home/ftp      reiser4         bind                    0 0
/home/ftp  /home/kos/depot/ftproot      reiser4         rbind                   0 0

They work perfectly in 2.6.8.1-ntro6, but 2.6.9-nitro(1,4) forgets to mount them on boot. When I say "mount -a", only first one (/home/ftp) gets mounted. To mount the second one I have to explicitly say "mount /home/kos/depot/ftproot".

PS I see you are discussing fbsplash+swsusp2, I've changed (hacked, better to say) bootsplash scriplet to use fbsplash: http://www.livotov.org/pub/bootsplash
hibernate.conf settings will look like this:
Code:
Bootsplash on
BootsplashConfig ThinkLinux

Where ThinkLinux is my fbsplash theme.
You can use it as a starting point to implement a clean fbsplash scriplet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: