View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:01 am    Post subject: what cd burning software? Reply with quote

anyone have a suggestion..i have only kde installed but could emerge gtoaster...i ahve used it a couple of times...xcdroaster i have used too but it seems kinda weak...anyone have a suggestion of one that offered as an ebuild?

ciao
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i thought i would see what the new alpha10 release of xcdroast was like but when i tried the emerge this is what i got

gcc -march=i686 -O3 -pipe -Wall `gtk-config --cflags` `gdk-pixbuf-config --cflags` -DPRE_PREFIX="\"/usr\"" -DPRE_LIBDIR="\"/usr/lib/xcdroast-0.98\"" -DCDRTOOLS_PREFIX="\"/usr\"" -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DUSE_LARGEFILES -c main.c
/bin/sh: gdk-pixbuf-config: command not found
main.c:14: gdk-pixbuf/gdk-pixbuf.h: No such file or directory
main.c: In function `create_main':
main.c:169: `GdkPixbuf' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:169: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
main.c:169: for each function it appears in.)
main.c:169: `im' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:169: warning: statement with no effect
main.c:170: parse error before `*'
main.c:226: `tmp' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:227: warning: implicit declaration of function `gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file'
main.c:229: warning: implicit declaration of function `gdk_pixbuf_render_pixmap_and_mask'
main.c:230: `xcdroast_logo' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:231: warning: implicit declaration of function `gdk_pixbuf_unref'
make: *** [main.o] Error 1

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 12, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

!!! emerge aborting on /usr/portage/app-cdr/xcdroast/xcdroast-0.98_alpha10.ebuild .

any one know where to start?
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert, but it looks like you have an issue there with the gdx-pixbuf package. Is it installed on you system? Try emerge gdx-pixbuf --pretend and see what the result is.
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:57 am    Post subject: I use... Reply with quote

Personally I have found SimpleCDRX (emerge simplecdrx) to be the best around.

I tried all the other ones but none of their interfaces really made any sense (and xcdroast is WAY to picky about what you have on your system). Simplecdrx burns OGG and MP3 well - but most importantly (for me) it burns ISOs EASILY.

I highly recomment it.

Other than that I'm going to be watching this thread because I too am interested in possibly finding another alternative. CD Burning software seems to be one place linux is fairly lacking....

Derek
filter69
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 6:08 am    Post subject: gtk-pixbuf Reply with quote

yup you hit the nail on the head in merged xcd 10 today and ran into the same prob i shows as a dep but the build doesnot merge it thou.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well billyd you are expert enough for this one....LOL...that was exactly the problem...it was too late last night apparently....i ran emerge --pretne xcdroast and that didnt get listed in the deps at all....but whateva...i think i will just take it as a sign not to use xcd again and try friedmuds suggestion of simplecdrx...havent tried that yet...xcdroast always gave me crap about the media too....maybe it was my burner....but gtoaster would work where it wouldnt so i am not 100% on it....well thanks for the help and the suggestions

ciao

edit: friedmud...i installed the simplecdx from emerge...but it seems to be kinda flaky...this is the 1.0-pre1 and on the website its up to 1.1.1 now i think...which version are you using and is there some documentation how to set it up correctly...ciao
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Hmmm.... Reply with quote

What do you mean by "flaky"?? Is it crashing on you? What are you trying to do with it?

As far as setting it up goes I just left everything at defaults except bumping up my burner speed to 10x in the Setup.

Let me know what kind of problems your having and i'll try to reproduce them.

Derek

EDIT: I am using the 1.0-Pre1 also
JefP@@
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcombust worx fine here. I find it an easy to use gui and very easy to set up. I mean it only takes me 3 clicks to burn a cd, that's kinda handy ;)

I wonder why it's taking xcdroast so long to produce a stable release. How long's the 0.98 version already in alpha stage ? I think they want to put in too many features at once ...

Grtz
yannick

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Kreatecd and it's just wonderfull (mp3, iso, copy, burn on fly, drag and drop, ... with a smart GUI)
you should try it if you want to test the main cdr softwares.

just my 2 cents,

Yannick
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it was crashing on me ....i dont really even burn that much stuff but i wanted to see if my cdrw was working after i set it up under devfsd and in fstab....but i coldnt get the simplecdrx to run properly...if i hit the 'rip and add' it would just close the program...anyway i installed xcdroast...lol....not cuz i like it ,although this newest release works better,but because i am atleast somewhat familar with tit and i was able to copy an audio cd right away and confirm that my stuff is configured correctly...well anyway....thanks for the input and maybe i'll check it out if someone submits an e build with the newer version.

ciao

ahhh....edit again....how bout xine...which package do you install...now it is time to see if i can get my dvd working...lol...it is all that is left now to get configured

but i saw like xine-d4d and d5d or some other things...when i type just "emerge xine" it says couldnt find a match so i am not sure which is the correct or newest ebuild
divine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personaly, I use cdrdao, cdrecord, and mkisofs from the console. It is very hard to mess up, and you don't have to mess with picky software.
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just tried to emerge xcdroast and got exactly the same error message as "rommel" above. I#m way of to look for the pixbuf dependencies and will give kreatecd a try instead. as far as i can see emerge --pretend kreatecd informs me that qt2.3.2 and kdelibs needs to be upgraded ...whoa, but let's see....
user124
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im with cdbakeoven .. NICE and no probs - except:

has anyone else probs with orange book when burning 90 or 99 min cd's - is there a workaround??

user124
horza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: If running KDE... Reply with quote

If running KDE then k3b, which bills itself as a Nero clone, looks quite good: http://k3b.sourceforge.net/

Phillip.
ack

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: k3b Reply with quote

I am using K3b myself also and I really like it. Its very simple and looks very nice. I'd recommend it over xcdroast or gtoaster.

ack
kcsduke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried out most of the popular cd-burning programs and I've found kreatecd to be the easiest to use. xcdroast is ok too.
sibn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rommel wrote:
well i thought i would see what the new alpha10 release of xcdroast was like but when i tried the emerge this is what i got

gcc -march=i686 -O3 -pipe -Wall `gtk-config --cflags` `gdk-pixbuf-config --cflags` -DPRE_PREFIX="\"/usr\"" -DPRE_LIBDIR="\"/usr/lib/xcdroast-0.98\"" -DCDRTOOLS_PREFIX="\"/usr\"" -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DUSE_LARGEFILES -c main.c
/bin/sh: gdk-pixbuf-config: command not found
main.c:14: gdk-pixbuf/gdk-pixbuf.h: No such file or directory
main.c: In function `create_main':
main.c:169: `GdkPixbuf' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:169: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
main.c:169: for each function it appears in.)
main.c:169: `im' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:169: warning: statement with no effect
main.c:170: parse error before `*'
main.c:226: `tmp' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:227: warning: implicit declaration of function `gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file'
main.c:229: warning: implicit declaration of function `gdk_pixbuf_render_pixmap_and_mask'
main.c:230: `xcdroast_logo' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:231: warning: implicit declaration of function `gdk_pixbuf_unref'
make: *** [main.o] Error 1

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 12, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

!!! emerge aborting on /usr/portage/app-cdr/xcdroast/xcdroast-0.98_alpha10.ebuild .

any one know where to start?

emerge gdk-pixbuf
rooby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: k3b Reply with quote

How does k3b compare with cdbakeoven. I really liked it, but it only supports kde2 and I'm wondering if I should wait for the next version
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XCDRoast is the best option that I have found. I emerged it without any problems. I used it in Mandrake and loved it. I have a Plextor burner and its recognized and used by xcdroast fine, even uses the burn proof.
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 4:03 am    Post subject: Eroaster? Reply with quote

Anybody used Eroaster? There isn't an ebuild for it, but it's the best CD writing software I've used, both for complex stuff and boneheaded easy things. (like making an audio cd, which xcdroast and others make into a form of advanced torture)

~Mac~
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never heard of t but i'll look for it and check it out...xcdroast is just too narrow ...it works ok but i find it difficult to make any changes to the way it wants to do stuff...maybe i am an idiot...well i am an idiot but maybe thats all thats wrong...lol
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINITE wrote:
XCDRoast is the best option that I have found. I emerged it without any problems. I used it in Mandrake and loved it. I have a Plextor burner and its recognized and used by xcdroast fine, even uses the burn proof.

It's just a frontend to the cdrecord / cdrtools package (like many other cd writing packages, don't invend the wheel more than once), which contains the console tools (except mkisofs) to write cds. It has the support for the different writers. I use it too, it works fine, but for audio cd's I still miss feurio (c2-error detection) it's possible to use the windows feurio with wine but well damnit I want to use linux, aarrgghh :cry: . readcd provides c2-error detection while reading tracks, but stores this information after every read sector, so I need to hack the source. Someday I'm gonna find me a hell of a cd writing package, but wel at the moment I'm only writing some ISO/Joliet cds and am satisfied with xcdroast frontend (because I'm too lazy to open a console and do mkisofs / cdrecord myself).
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the hope that the guys from blindsuite.com will merge their fantastic blindread to linux. This one of the few reasons why I'm still dual-booting.
pavera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully someone will see this.. and reply..
I am having the hardest time getting my cd burner to burn data.
I installed arson, and it rips/burns audio just great, nice ducky wonderful
However, when I try to use it to burn data, it won't even add the files to the queue, much less burn them. xcdroast doesn't seem to have a data cd capability, simplecdrx doesn't work either, when I add the files, and say burn image, it works for about .5 seconds, and says finished.. the command line outputs an error that it cannot delete the *.iso file, but it never creates one...
koncd doesn't work, I'm emerging kreatecd right now to see if that will work..
any ideas?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not clearcut, but Multimedia steals this from DE because CD burning programs are most often used for A/V, and this was a meaty thread.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: