Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Devs please Help! nitro-sources, ReadTFM, koutput dead...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ioannis.th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Devs please Help! nitro-sources, ReadTFM, koutput dead... Reply with quote

Hi! Today I successfully did a world update to my machine, and I thought about upgrading my old 2.6.5 kernel to 2.6.9-nitro2.

1)The problem is that many things which require kernel module compiling (nvidia, lirc, ltmodem) don't compile without koutput, I followed the instructions on how to do it without config-kernel, since it is masked, but it has no effect, the ebuilds still prompt me to use koutput.

2)as I was compiling the kernel, I got some warnings on ReiserFS4, should I bother? I think about using it but I sure don't want to corrupt my data. The warnings are..

Quote:

/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/page_cache.c: In function `set_page_dirty_internal':
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/page_cache.c:536: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irq' from incompatible pointer type
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/page_cache.c:552: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irq' from incompatible pointer type
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/page_cache.c: In function `capture_reiser4_inodes':
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/page_cache.c:597: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irqsave' from incompatible pointer type
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/page_cache.c:603: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irqrestore' from incompatible pointer type

/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/as_ops.c: In function `reiser4_clear_page_dirty':
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:78: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irqsave' from incompatible pointer type
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:87: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irqrestore' from incompatible pointer type
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:92: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irqrestore' from incompatible pointer type
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/as_ops.c: In function `reiser4_set_page_dirty':
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:111: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irq' from incompatible pointer type
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:123: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irq' from incompatible pointertype
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/as_ops.c: In function `reiser4_releasepage':
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:573: warning: passing arg 1 of `_write_lock_irq' from incompatible pointer type
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:579: warning: passing arg 1 of `_write_unlock_irq' from incompatible pointer type

/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/repacker.c:400: warning: `wait_repacker_completion' defined but not used
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/repacker.c:595: warning: `init_repacker_sysfs_interface' defined but not used
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/repacker.c:612: warning: `done_repacker_sysfs_interface' defined but not used

/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c: In function `sync_page_list':
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:1211: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irq' from incompatible pointer type
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:1223: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irq' from incompatible pointer type
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:1230: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irq' from incompatible pointer type
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro2/fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:1233: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irq' from incompatible pointer type
CC fs/reiser4/plugin/file/tail_conversion.o

TheKat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Devs please Help! nitro-sources, ReadTFM, koutput dead.. Reply with quote

johnnywylde wrote:
The problem is that many things which require kernel module compiling (nvidia, lirc, ltmodem) don't compile without koutput, I followed the instructions on how to do it without config-kernel, since it is masked, but it has no effect, the ebuilds still prompt me to use koutput.

Gentoo right now seems really schitzo about koutput. I keep finding bug reports that it is depreciated and not to use it, while there are a lot of packages that just do not install without it. It really is frustrating and disconcerting.
dsd
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding the koutput stuff, can you be more specific? kernels 2.6.6 and newer do not need our koutput work, and i am not sure what you are referring to.
ioannis.th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! :)

I am currently using kernel 2.6.9-nitro2, and ebuilds still prompt me for koutput, nvidia and lirc to be more specific.

What if run the nvidia installer myself to produce the module and later emerged nvidia-glx? would it be the same?

As for lirc I do not know.

Should I worry about the kernel compilation warnings regarding ReiserFS4?

I had an issue with my ltmodem driver too, the ebuilds on portage surely do not work, they are outdated too. I managed to get it to work by using the latest aleksey kodratenko ltmodem driver, I compiled it myself, with a simple

make
cp *.ko /lib/modules/2.6.9-nitro2/ltmodem/
modules-update

However I very rarely have had hard lockups on connecting, especially if I had konqueror running at the time... or it is just my imagination. It could also be that I am using it on a P4/HT machine. However I cannot submit a bug report because I cannot reproduce it at will.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: