Starcraft + Winex
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Starcraft + Winex Reply with quote

Howdy all,

I'm trying to get Starcraft installed with Winex (the latest Gentoo package, 20020511). I run 'winex install.exe' from my /mnt/cdrom, and everything appears to work fine - screen pops up, usual errors in the console, but nothing to be worried about, just some griping about fonts and stuff. I select 'Install Starcraft', enter my name and CD-Key, and hit install. It begins copying the files over to my hard drive - I know it actually does this because I can quick Ctr-Alt-F2 out to a terminal and see the files it has copied. However, when it gets to a certain point almost competely through the install, trying to copy a scenario map, it pops up a message that simply says "Aborted", erases all the files it has installed, and waits for me to click OK before dumping me back to the autorun screen.

I can't find anything on Transgaming's site about this happening, and can't post to their forums because I have not subscribed yet. Has anyone had this problem, and can they help me fix this? Is it simply a copy protection error?

Alternatively, what lines would I use in my /etc/fstab to autoload a FAT32 partition that was writable be me the user? I have not been able to decypher any of TFM to do this - would it help?

The info for the drive in my config:
Code:
[Drive G]
"Path" = "/home/alec/wine"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "Linux Drive"
"Filesystem" = "win95"
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: mounting Reply with quote

Check TFM of mount (man mount) then search for fat option you can read about uid=value,gid=value,umask=660 or similar add this in /etc/fstab

an example
Quote:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=660,user 0 0

EhobaX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrmm.. I didn't modify my /etc/fstab to run Starcraft in linux. I just ran the winex /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe and it insalled fine.
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EhobaX wrote:
Hrmm.. I didn't modify my /etc/fstab to run Starcraft in linux. I just ran the winex /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe and it insalled fine.

I got mine to install, and I can play single player, but battle.net is all screwed up with regular wine. Does it work better with winex?

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
Aonoa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WineX 2.01 from Transgaming works fine on battle.net with StarCraft 1.09b, you see enough of the login screen to type your username/password and you will be able to create join games no problem, the graphics is a bit odd up until you create or join a game.

It's working, if nothing else. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: