View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeypriest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first: I apologize for not getting back to this sooner. The weekend got away from me, and it wasn't until I read the latest post that I realized I'd forgotten to check my own system for this problem.

Secondly, I'd like to thank you (ectospasm) for bringing this to my attention. Not only does this seem to be a problem for apcupsd-3.10-15, it also seems to be a problem for all Gentoo versions back through 3.10.10-r2. As I previously mentioned, when I test new iterations of apcupsd I generally set the TIMEOUT value to 30 and if this “abbreviated” power failure routine ran according to expectations, I considered all to be well. My fault for not running a real simulation; that was extremely sloppy.

As you may have already gathered, I've run a series of full power failure tests this evening: without exception, apcupsd-3.10.13 and apcupsd-3.10.10-r2 both initiated a shutdown well before (i.e. less than thirty seconds after pulling the plug) the battery had been exhausted, though both listed “battery exhausted” in apcupsd.events as the reason for shutdown. I'll go out on a limb and say that apcupsd-3.10.15 performs similarly from what you've already reported.

For the time being, apcupsd-3.10.10-r1 is the latest version which seems to handle power failures as expected. I just completed a full power failure test using this iteration while keeping a close eye on my logs and the reports from my central monitoring station. Both the battery charge and the remaining runtime decreased/increased as expected while the battery was under load and I varied the strain on the system. At precisely three-minutes-remaining on my central monitor, the system initiated a successful shutdown. In short, apcupsd-3.10.10-r1 did what it was supposed to.

ectospasm, can I ask you to downgrade your installation to 3.10.10-r1 in order to confirm that this version operates as it should for your system parameters? So far as I'm aware, there should be no major security/functionality issues involved in downgrading (he said, crossing his fingers).

In the meantime, I'd encourage anyone following along at home to run a full power failure test and post back here if they're experiencing the problems detailed above. I'd like to get this issue confirmed before going to the apcupsd-users list or updating the main document.

I realize this doesn't fix the current problem, but to be honest, my first concern is keeping everyone on their proverbial feet and confirming the universality of this issue before troubleshooting what's happened in the last few iterations.

Thanks again for your patience and vigilance.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm installing 3.10.10-r1 now, I may not be able to run a full test until tomorrow.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new problem. I unmerged 3.10.15 and emerged 3.10.10-r1, but the apcupsd executable that /etc/init.d/apcupsd is looking for does not exist. It tries to run /usr/sbin/apcupsd, but it's nowhere to be found. A "find / -name apcupsd" doesn't turn up anything useful.

Help?
whiskeypriest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this being an issue back in April when 3.10.10-r1 first hit, but I assume you've synced since then (i.e. I thought the problem with the ebuild had been corrected).

Looked at the old thread, didn't find much useful.

My procedure for downgrading was as follows: I backed up apcupsd.conf and hosts.conf, then unmerged 3.10.13 (my version). Removed the entire /etc/apcupsd directory. Masked all versions beyond 3.10.10-r1, then emerged same. Replaced both .conf files, started the daemon, and everything ran fine.

Any of this of use? Perhaps another unmerge/emerge is warranted.

Let me know how it goes.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried emerging both available versions of 3.10.10 (-r1 and -r2) and neither of them built the binaries. There are some errors that don't seem related to the bugs mentioned in the HOWTO thread. I would prefer to have the latest stable release running anyway; re-emerging 3.10.15-r1 solved this latest problem.

I'll see if the problem of shutting down prematurely occurs in Windows. I hope I can keep some sort of log there with PowerChute.
whiskeypriest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye gods...what a mess. Apologies for making you jump through the emerge-hoops for nothing, but I completely understand: something (i.e. fifteen minutes of runtime plus graceful shutdown) is better than nothing.

For completeness' sake, I emerged 3.10.15-r1 this morning and ran a power failure test...the same premature shutdown results as with 3.10.13 and 3.10.10-r2. I'm now basically out of ideas on this one; it sounds like you've got enough to weather a brief outage, so I'll leave it to your discretion whether to “wait for things to improve” in the next version or to take your problem to the apcupsd-users list. Please let me know what you find/decide regardless.

Having heard nothing else about the premature shutdown issues from the community, I'm still undecided about advocating the downgrade (especially in light of your experiences). I need to do some further testing here to see if I can replicate the problem on my other systems (2.4 vs. 2.6 kernels, varying APC models). I'll post back with the results later today.
whiskeypriest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after upgrading my 2.6 kernels and lots of power failure testing, everything now performs as expected. 2.4 kernels never experienced any problems. The light at the end of the tunnel?

Here's what I'm running:
  • P4 2.53GHz, SiS chipset, gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r8, Back-UPS XS 800, apcupsd-3.10.13, standalone configuration: performs as expected.
  • P3 600MHz, Intel chipset, gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r8, Back-UPS XS 800, apcupsd-3.10.13, standalone configuration: performs as expected.
  • Celeron 533MHz, VIA chipset, gentoo-sources-2.4.25_pre7-r11, Back-UPS RS 1000, apcupsd-3.10.13, netslave configuration: performs as expected.
  • Celeron 733MHz, Intel chipset, gentoo-sources-2.4.25_pre7-r11, Back-UPS RS 1000, apcupsd-3.10.13, netmaster configuration: performs as expected.
Makes me wonder if the problem was with apcupsd to begin with. How are things in your world?
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm upgrading to gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r9... I've been running 2.6.7-r11 since the VFAT support in every 2.6.8 kernel I've tried has been severely broken. Hopefully they've fixed the problem, and in the process fixed my premature shutdown problem.

I won't be able to test it until later this weekend. I've got a program due tomorrow and I need to get it done.
whiskeypriest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger that.

Best of luck with all of it...let me know how it turns out when you have the time.
whiskeypriest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still out there, ectospasm? Anything improved with gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-r1/apcupsd-3.10.15-r1?
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet... I haven't been able to upgrade my kernel past 2.6.7-gentoo-r11 because of the VFAT support; I wish I didn't need it but I do. Anyway, a few days ago I tried a power fail test (unplugged the UPS from the wall) while I was in Windows, running APC PowerChute Personal Edition. Unfortunately that software doesn't allow for timestamps or logging, so I couldn't get an exact time, but it seemed to perform as expected; it gave me at least 45min if not an hour of uptime with the power off, and this is all on the same hardware. Trying the test back in Gentoo gave the following results:

Code:
Tue Oct 26 14:15:19 CDT 2004  Power failure.
Tue Oct 26 14:15:25 CDT 2004  Running on UPS batteries.
Tue Oct 26 14:23:49 CDT 2004  Reached remaining time percentage limit on batteries.
Tue Oct 26 14:23:49 CDT 2004  Initiating system shutdown!
Tue Oct 26 14:23:49 CDT 2004  User logins prohibited
Tue Oct 26 14:23:49 CDT 2004 BCHARGE : 091.0 Percent
Tue Oct 26 14:23:49 CDT 2004 TIMELEFT : 0.0 Minutes
Tue Oct 26 14:23:51 CDT 2004  apcupsd exiting, signal 15
Tue Oct 26 14:23:51 CDT 2004  apcupsd shutdown succeeded

As you can see it didn't even last 10min today. Hopefully this is kernel related, and updating to the newest kernel will solve all my problems.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed my kernel problems, but it only marginally helped the apcupsd problem:

Code:
Tue Oct 26 22:12:16 CDT 2004  Power failure.
Tue Oct 26 22:12:22 CDT 2004  Running on UPS batteries.
Tue Oct 26 22:40:09 CDT 2004  Reached remaining time percentage limit on batteries.
Tue Oct 26 22:40:09 CDT 2004  Initiating system shutdown!
Tue Oct 26 22:40:09 CDT 2004  User logins prohibited
Tue Oct 26 22:40:09 CDT 2004 BCHARGE : 071.0 Percent
Tue Oct 26 22:40:09 CDT 2004 TIMELEFT : 0.0 Minutes
Tue Oct 26 22:40:11 CDT 2004  apcupsd exiting, signal 15
Tue Oct 26 22:40:11 CDT 2004  apcupsd shutdown succeeded

It's better than my last post, but still much worse than I expected. I'm about to go to apcupsd-users.
whiskeypriest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I was already grasping at straws, and the version increase was basically the last I had to offer on your problem.

I sincerely hope someone at apcupsd-users can get you an answer...please let me know what you find, and good luck with it.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the message to apcupsd-users. I'll let you know if I get any hits.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the answer I got on apcupsd-users (from an apcupsd developer):

Adam Kropelin wrote:
I found my RS 1500 units needed a runtime calibration before the remaining time estimate was even close. Disable apcupsd, put a load of 50% or more on the UPS, and pull the plug. Let the batteries run completely dry, then plug it back in and let it recharge. After that the remaining time estimate should be much more accurate.

I suspect the reason you are seeing TIMELEFT at 0.0 is that it does not scale down nice and linearly, especially when the calibration is way of. It may drop from > 3.0 down to 0.0 in the course of a few seconds. I use a little script like this to watch the behavior of TIMELEFT and BCHARGE over time:

while [ 1 ] ; do
/sbin/apcaccess status | egrep TIMELEFT\|BCHARGE ;
sleep 1 ;
done

You can throw all that on one command line; I just wrapped it for the sake of fitting it in the email margins. It will give you an update of those variables each second, which is a good way to spot trends.

So, I need to calibrate it... I wonder if not letting it charge for the full eight hours before I started using it had anything to do with it not calibrating properly... I think I'll let it charge for eight before I plug everything back in.
whiskeypriest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

I vaguely remember reading something about proper calibration when I was first working with apcupsd, but I never thought it would lead to that wide of a discrepancy between reported and actual runtime. Then again, I don't own an RS 1500, and I did let all my units charge for a minimum of eight hours (no load) before pressing them into service.

I'll be curious to see how much of a difference this procedure makes; hopefully it'll resolve the issue for you, and thanks for the update.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This procedure made a HUGE difference. Here's the log of the last test:

Code:
Sat Oct 30 12:15:49 CDT 2004  Power failure.
Sat Oct 30 12:15:55 CDT 2004  Running on UPS batteries.
Sat Oct 30 13:30:31 CDT 2004  Battery power exhausted.
Sat Oct 30 13:30:31 CDT 2004  Initiating system shutdown!
Sat Oct 30 13:30:31 CDT 2004  User logins prohibited
Sat Oct 30 13:30:31 CDT 2004  Running on UPS batteries.
Sat Oct 30 13:30:31 CDT 2004 BCHARGE : 009.0 Percent
Sat Oct 30 13:30:31 CDT 2004 TIMELEFT : 4.3 Minutes
Sat Oct 30 13:30:34 CDT 2004  apcupsd exiting, signal 15
Sat Oct 30 13:30:34 CDT 2004  apcupsd shutdown succeeded

Now the TIMELEFT is not 0.0, which is really good. I'm very happy with this, but I'm still a bit concerned that both values were still above threshold(BATTERYLEVEL == 5, MINUTES == 3, in apcupsd.conf).

One thing that I did notice was that 10 hrs of loadless charging did not give me a 100% charge. Doesn't seem to have hurt the calibration at all.

I'm considering my problem solved. You might want to put in the HOWTO the importance of calibrating, at least for the RS 1500...
whiskeypriest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it!

I'll make a note of the calibration issue in the main document within the next few hours...meanwhile, I hope it continues to run smoothly for you.

Also, thanks for all you've done to ferret this issue out and get it resolved.
whiskeypriest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention suhlhorn (and anyone else playing along at home):

mark_lagace has posted (what seems to be) a viable workaround for the UPS “killpower” issue that was discussed here back in September. Please have a look.

If there are any issues with this, feel free to discuss them here. Thanks again, Mark.
TheKat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: The gotchas I experienced Reply with quote

I just got acpupsd working on my system (sys-apps/apcupsd-3.10.15-r1 with sys-kernel/nitro-sources-2.6.9-r4). Here are the gotchas I experienced.

My hardware setup (pre UPS) is as follows:
  • 2 USB ports on back of system.
  • One port occupied by USB hub built into keyboard (keyboard is PS2 keyboard with a USB hub in it)
  • One port on keyboard occupied by USB trackball.
With this configuration, whenever I connected the UPS USB cable, the hub would shut down, disconnecting my mouse. After some testing I determined it was definitly the HUB. If I connected the trackball directly to the port it didn't happen. Through multiple reboots (warm and cold) and re-insertions, this kept happening.

I booted Windows to check the behaviour there. Everything worked fine. I booted Linux again. Everything worked fine. It continues to work now. I have no idea what happened...

Once the USB problem was resolved, I continued with the HOWTO.
  1. During the Communication Test phase, apcupsd did not log anything when the USB cable was disconnected. However, when the cable was reconnected, it did log the reconnect event. I twiddled kernel modules, recompiled using the HOWTO module/builtin layout, and no change. After some pondering, I decided to go ahead with the other tests.
  2. When I rebooted the system with apcupsd in the default runlevel, the network failed to start. After some thought I realized that apcupsd was starting up before the coldplugging of PCI slots, so the network was not yet initialized. This was interfereing with overall network initialization. Apparently the network start scripts would run before the NIC module was present. I manually loaded my NIC module in the module autoload (/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6), and everything started working great.
I'm not sure if the network issue is a bug with the apcupsd package, or a more general bug with the Gentoo startup mechanism. Normally the NIC driver is loaded by coldplug, which would also start the network, but as apcupsd started up before coldplug, things got loaded out of 'normal' sequence.

I don't have an good answer to that one, but everything is now working for me.
whiskeypriest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting.

All I can offer on the subject of your USB troubles is a “congratulations” that it’s working now. The vagaries of USB hubs and peripherals are legion, and my advice is usually limited to a reiteration of APC’s recommendation that the UPS not be plugged into a hub. Since it sounds as though you were following that advice to begin with, I’ll reiterate my previous “congratulations” and move on.

The issue with your NIC is something I hadn’t heard of or encountered before; again, glad it’s working now. For the record, I avoid dealing with modules unless I have no other choice -- hence, my solution to that problem would have been a bit different.

My first stop would probably have been the /etc/init.d/apcupsd file:
Code:
#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2002 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2 or later
# $Header: /cvsroot/apcupsd/apcupsd/platforms/gentoo/apcupsd.in,v 1.1 2002/09/14 12:03:18 rfacchetti Exp $

APCPID=/var/run/apcupsd.pid
APCUPSD=/usr/sbin/apcupsd

depend() {
         after hotplug
         after usb
         after net
}

start() {
         rm -f /etc/apcupsd/powerfail
         ebegin "Starting APC UPS daemon"
         start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec $APCUPSD -- 1>&2
         eend $?
}

stop() {
         ebegin "Stopping APC UPS daemon"
         start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile $APCPID
         eend $?
}

Since I believe this version of the script predates the hotplug-coldplug changeover, I might have tried adding...
Code:
after coldplug

...to apcupsd’s dependencies. You’re welcome to give this a shot and let me know if it proves to be a more flexible solution.

Then again, there’s also the “ain’t-broke-don’t-fix” school of thought...if you’re happy with it, outstanding.

Thanks again for posting, and I hope it continues to run well for you.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having problems with mark_lagace's suggestion for shutting down the UPS and having it restart the computer when power comes back. I'm using apcupsd 3.10.16 (this may be a source of the problem, since the method might be different for that version).

When I disconnect the power to run a powerfail test (with TIMEOUT set to 30 to speed up the test), the computer begins to shutdown, but is not fully shutdown. It just hangs with a blank screen, presumably at a point where shutdown is safe. I made sure to wait longer than the two minute sleep in /etc/init.d/halt.sh.

Here's the tail of my /etc/init.d/halt.sh:
Code:

# Attempting to add apcupsd's killpower function here
if [ -f /etc/apcupsd/powerfail ]; then
        ewarn "Power failure - shutting of UPS"
        /etc/apcupsd/apccontrol killpower
        sleep 120,
        exit 1
fi

I'm suspecting that "exit 1" could be causing a problem, since the halt script is exiting with a non-zero return. I'm going to do a test with a normal halt (or shutdown -h) command, to see if the computer is shutdown properly that way.

[edit]I seems there is a difference between the "halt" and "shutdown -h now" commands (I thought "halt", when called from the command line, simply calls "shutdown -h now"--I was wrong). When I issue the "shutdown -h now" command, my computer shutsdown and powers off gracefully. If I issue the "halt" command, it seems to hang the way it did when testing the --killpower functionality above.
whiskeypriest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any luck troubleshooting this?

For what it's worth, my system behaves in a similar fashion: with the X-server running at power failure, the screen images will "freeze" in place and remain until the system loses power (due to the UPS unit itself shutting down). From a straight console (no X-server) I get to see all the usual messages, including apcupsd communicating with the UPS through the killpower procedure...after which it hangs there (again, until the UPS powers itself down). All logs viewed on restoring power indicate filesystems cleanly unmounted, processes terminated, etc. -- it just doesn't look real pretty. This is with version 3.10.15-r1, doing both abbreviated and full power failures.

Does your UPS successfully power itself off using mark_lagace's procedures?

The other thing I'm curious about is this: it was my understanding that 3.10.16 was supposed to have this killpower functionality enabled for USB UPS units. Have you tried testing for this functionality as-is, rather than using mark_lagace's suggestion?
mmarkin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone.

I have a weird situation with the multimon.cgi script running via Apache. The script works just fine when all machines specified in hosts.conf are up and running. However, when one (or more) of the listed machines is down, the script has a bad tendency to sit there and wait for quite a long time before deciding that a particular machine is unreachable. Does anyone know of a place where I can tweak the time-out value?

Thanks

Mikhail
whiskeypriest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in replying; been on the road the past week.

I'm also sorry to say that I haven't the foggiest idea where to begin with your problem -- I have a central "monitoring box" which keeps track of my four UPS-units, and have never experienced the behavior you describe. The machines being monitored are supported by UPS-units of various types in both standalone and master/slave configurations, and all update their status without issue.

I had a look around the apcupsd-users list, and this was the closest thing I could come up with...which doesn't really sound like your issue at all, but may be worth a look.

If anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to hold forth; Apache's not my strong-suit, and its interface with apcupsd has always "just worked" for me. Again, sorry I couldn't be of more help...please keep us posted if you find a solution.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: