rc-envupdate failing on startup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: rc-envupdate failing on startup Reply with quote

I have installed Gentoo on my IBM T22 laptop, and after emerging kde and getting Xfree to work, I was happy. Then I attempted to emerge alsa for my sound, and that seemed to work ok, and then I ran etc-update cause portage told me I had a conflicting file in /etc.
So I thought, no big deal. I picked the new file cause it didn't look too much different (i for the life of me can't remember what file it was, sorry). All I have on this system is KDE, X, vanilla-source kernel, gentoolkit, and alsa now.
At the same time, I was trying to get my laptop to work with the dhcp server that is here on campus for me, rather than one of my static IP's that I have, so I think that this is more of a IP issue than one of alsa...
Now when I start up, I get errors:
Code:
*Updating environment...
/sbin/rc-envupdate.sh: eval: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching '"'
/sbin/rc-envupdate.sh: eval: line 2: syntax error: enexpected end of fil [ ok ]

and then gentoo continues to load.
Now, I don't think of this as a big problem, cause I have no idea what rc-envupdate is supposed to do, but I am assuming it has the things I have rc-update 'ed. But, if I try to log into KDE, i get an error saying:
Code:

There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE.  The message returned by the system was:
Could not read network connection list
/root/.DCOPserver_
bradfa-2.stu.rpi.edu__0
Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!

then I get:
Code:

Couldn't start ksmserver, Check your installation.

The bradfa-2.stu.rpi.edu is my machine name given to me by the school. I currently have my networking setup for my static IP and I can ping and do other network things from the command line no prob.
I am not sure what to do, but I am going to see if I can copy my working rc-envupdate.sh from my working gentoo box over to my not so working laptop. does this seem like a good idea?

Thanks for any help,
-Andrew
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, but I don't have an /sbin/rc-envupdate on my desktop gentoo install.
Is this file supposed to be executed at startup?
the rc-envupdate script contains a good bit, it says that it's source is /etc/init.d/functions.sh
and that it generates /etc/profile.env and /etc/csh.env from the contents of /etc/env.d
I find it odd that one of my installs of gentoo would have this /sbin/rc-envupdate and the other wouldn't.
-Andrew
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try re-emerging your sys-apps/baselayout, I'm running sys-apps/baselayout-1.7.8-r1 just for reference.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try re-emerging your sys-apps/baselayout,

Well, I just did that, twice, and the first time, I kept all my /etc files, and it didn't work, and the second time, I used all the new config files. And that didn't work either.
Any other ideas?
I would rather make this a learning experience, but I am tempted to just reinstall. I don't have that much to do today, and my laptop is not all that needed right now. So if I can't get it fixed in a few hours I will probably just try reinstalling, maybe try some new stuff out on the way.
Thanks though.
-Andrew
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: /sbin/rc-envupdate.sh lines 1 and 2 unexpected EOF Error Reply with quote

Ok wne I boot I get the following error:
Code:
/sbin/rc-envupdate.sh: eval: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ""
/sbin/rc-envupdate.sh: eval: line 2: unexpected end of fill

Not sure if the two are related but now when I try to start kde I get the following error"
There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The message returned by the system was
Could ot read network connection list. /home/(username)/.DCOPServer_localhost.localdomwain computername_0
Please check that "dcopserver" program is running.

ARe the two error related? How anybody know how to fix? I searched the forums and I found this:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1712&highlight=dcopserver

I did as Nitro suggested and I ran emerge sys-apps/baselayout. It reports that 4 config files in /etc need updating. Ok wish it could have told me which 4. I did the emerge --config help as the instructions suggest but that does not give fi\urther info.

Here is what the /sbin/rc-envupdate has. (The first few lines anyway ans the important ones with the error are one and two

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Copyright 1999-2002 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2 or later
# Author:  Martin Schlemmer <azarah@gentoo.org>
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/sbin/rc-envupdate.sh,v 1.5 2002/05/10 21:24:45 azarah Exp $

source /etc/init.d/functions.sh

if [ `id -u` -ne 0 ]
then
   eerror "${0}: must be root."
   exit 1
fi

usage() {
cat << FOO
usage: rc-envupdate.sh

note:
      This utility generates /etc/profile.env and /etc/csh.env
      from the contents of /etc/env.d/

FOO
   exit 1

I left in the commented out lines for date reasons. Anyone have a newer one? This has me super confused!! Thanks in advance!
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be the cause of your kde problem, this nifty file sets up the environment settings using the /etc/env.d directory. It's initiated in the script /etc/init.d/bootmisc and it uses /etc/init.d/functions.sh (just like every bootscript). ....

Yes the same problem is in that post. but looks like it ain't fixed. (btw. I'm still using baselayout-1.7.9-r1 (the latest in my portage tree). But looking at the version number of your file it looks the same. /sbin/rc-updatenv.sh is part of that file and by replacing the files maybe you can fix something.

My file starts exacly the same, so I think the problem lies before the execution of this program.
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the input. I found the following and it worked for me

Quote:
KDE uses several temporary files during it's operation. These are usually to be found in the following locations:

~/.DCOPserver-* (there are usually two of these, one is a symlink to the other)

~/.kde/socket-hostname

~/.kde/tmp-hostname which is normally a symlink to the next file:

/tmp/tmp-kde-USER

~/.kde/socket-hostname which is also normally a symlink to:

/tmp/ksocket-USER

If the symlinks get broken, usually because a cron or shutdown script is emptying out the /tmp directory, then strange things will happen. These files, and the symlinks, will all be created automatically at the start of KDE so you can safely remove them while KDE is not running.

If you are getting only a grey screen when you start KDE, or if you get an error message telling you to Check your installation, then shut down X and delete all the files listed above, then try to restart X.

from http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/install.html#id2840270

Kde now works with no problems. I was able top fix the other problem as well. I had an extra hard return and extra character in my /etc/hostame. I noticed it when I rebooted and there was a strage extra line and q next to login! I hope that anyone else having this poroblem searches, finds this and gets everything fixed like I was able to do. One more reason to love this distro. I have been able to fix all problems that have cropped up with a little help form my friends here on this forum and google. :)
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that it is close to a month later, but I found the answer. I hope that you did not reinstall. Check out https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3823

Basically you probably have an error in your /etc/hostname. I was getting the exact same errors and the problem was an extra hard return and character in /etc/hostname. I fixed that and deleted the tmp files described in my post, rebooted for good measure and everything is working perfectly now!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: