View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalnick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: new powerbook 17 inches wow Reply with quote

heh i almost bought a powerbook last week ... what a mistake that would have been teh newest one rocks backlit keys 17 inch screen and a geforece card to top it off so i wont have the radeon issues deffinatly a good chouce for my first mac purchase dont ya think ;)
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: new powerbook 17 inches wow Reply with quote

digitalnick wrote:
heh i almost bought a powerbook last week ... what a mistake that would have been teh newest one rocks backlit keys 17 inch screen and a geforece card to top it off so i wont have the radeon issues deffinatly a good chouce for my first mac purchase dont ya think ;)

Yeah that machine is quite nice! But I dont think we will have very good 3d support for linux with that nvidia card. I would rather take the ati vid card at this moment in time. I just bought a 12" ibook two weeks ago on 12/27/02, I got the new 12" 800mhz ibook with the ati 7500 32mb card, I just got this card working using gerks new dri-trunk ebuild. He just modified it so it will work finally. So now I have dri working perfectly, oddly this machine/video card gets better FPS in both tuxracer and glxgears than my other dual p3 system with my geforce 2. I noticed that apple has two 12" powerbooks, both have ddr memory with a geforce4 go, then they have two 15" models that have sdram with a ATI 9000, and one 17" model with ddr memory and a geforce 4. I feel kinda sorry for the people that are buying the 15" model, because the 12" screen one would be alot faster and cheaper, and more portable.

oh well this ibook rocks! if only I could get sleep to work...:)
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: new powerbook 17 inches wow Reply with quote

digitalnick wrote:
[...]a geforece card to top it off so i wont have the radeon issues deffinatly a good chouce for my first mac purchase dont ya think ;)

No, it will be much worse in theory, since Nvidia doesn't release documentation, it may be a little while before we get kernel framebuffer support, and likely longer until there is xfree support. :(
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh so the nvidia drivers won't compile on ppc architecture ? daaaaamn.. if only they released the source lol

ahh but cool they used a picture of Sydney harbour to compare the screen sizes! :D
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be the former GHz Powerbook in a 16:9 17" case instead... You can figure out which packages are binary because they are either installed in /opt or they are marked "x86 -ppc -sparc -sparc64 -alpha"

Nobody is talking about the 12" Powerbook though. It appears to be the Combo Powerbook in a 4:3 case.

It looks like the Powerbook series has fragmented into different sizes like the iBook and iMac, only worse.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't think so, I mean they have changed the video card, the hdd now runs no ata100 instead of ata66 and now uses ddr ram instead of sdram.. so I think they've changed a lot..
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie, I didn't have any specs to diff against...

Apple also released X11 for OS X, will their patches get incorporated?

What about Safari? I think I heard that it is a Konqueror for OS X, seems to be the fastest on Mac ever. Apparently it is KHTML, they have released the source back into the world today. Faster than Gecko (chimera) apparently, 2x faster than Gecko (netscape) and 3x faster IE, take that Microsoft!
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for Safari I tried it last night and was left less than impressed... it was nowhere near the 3x faster than IE it claims to be, in fact on my Jaguar setup it was _slower_ .. especially on large complicated pages

The new 17" powerbook is a total rebuild (not leftover stuff), and also includes the ambien tlight sensor, laser etched/fiber backlit keys, etc. Loks like a realllly nice piece of ork. However that stated don't hold youre breath for linux support for some time on it. Almost everthing is brand new, new USB, new firewire, new video, new keyboard, new UniNorth revision, DDR ram, etc... nice, but from a support standpoint scary ;)
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh also the Apple Xfree changes won't get incorportaed anywhere... it is Xdarwin (which they did a bit of work on). The only 'good' thing about it is that you get OpenGL support.

Here's the funny thing about it's openGL though.. I installed Apple's X last night and it actually had glxgears! I ran glxgears and got a dismal 50fps (half of what you get with software GL in linux). Compared to my 1400fps with the identical hardware in linux and you can see where the true speed still is :)
Yarrick
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OS 9 Gets the Boot -- Heid was right when he said that OS X would become the default OS in 2002. Breen was right when he said that Apple would create computers that boot only into OS X--but that's happening in 2003.

Source: http://www.macworld.com/2003/02/macbeat/ghost/

I've read about this on some other pages too, the part about making OS 9 unbootable. Will this be a problem to linux users?
digitalnick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how long approx do ya think im gonna hve ta wait befor i can run linux smothly on it? im no mac user so im gonna be lost in osx i was planning to have linux be there for me while i attempted to learn mac a little now im hesitating about buyin it. i need to get a new lappy but comparing the new one to the old 15 inch model there is no way i wanna go with it :(
herel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: new powerbook 17 inches wow Reply with quote

dcstimm wrote:
So now I have dri working perfectly, oddly this machine/video card gets better FPS in both tuxracer and glxgears than my other dual p3 system with my geforce 2.

Can you tell me how you got tuxracer compiled?
This is what I get at configure time:

Code:

configure: error: Your copy of glx.h is out of date.  You can get a more recent copy from the latest Mesa distribution (http://mesa3d.sourceforge.net).
[/code]
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if Mac OS X is unix based, and nvidia have 3d accelerated drivers for it, then how far away would linux drivers be ?

Is it possible to look at the way unix initialises the drivers and use that as a reference to create some for linux ?

I could be way off, but just a thought..
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: new powerbook 17 inches wow Reply with quote

herel wrote:
dcstimm wrote:
So now I have dri working perfectly, oddly this machine/video card gets better FPS in both tuxracer and glxgears than my other dual p3 system with my geforce 2.

Code:

configure: error: Your copy of glx.h is out of date.  You can get a more recent copy from the latest Mesa distribution (http://mesa3d.sourceforge.net).
[/code]

I had the same problem, gerk made me copy something related to opengl into another folder, then he made me run opengl-update xfree

and it worked...

here is my glxgears:

6156 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1231.200 FPS
5505 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1101.000 FPS
6124 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1224.800 FPS
6121 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1224.200 FPS
6115 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1223.000 FPS

I have a m7 in my ibook
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
if Mac OS X is unix based, and nvidia have 3d accelerated drivers for it, then how far away would linux drivers be ?

Is it possible to look at the way unix initialises the drivers and use that as a reference to create some for linux ?

I could be way off, but just a thought..

Easier said then done, we know how alot about the driver because of the x86 nvidia linux drivers, but since its a binary only package we cant do anything, no way to recompile for ppc arch. The macosx drivers are alot different since they arent based on x11...
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: new powerbook 17 inches wow Reply with quote

herel wrote:
dcstimm wrote:

Code:

[/code]

cp /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.* /usr/lib/opengl/xfree/lib/
opengl-update xfree

Found it!!
salimma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Why Apple X11's OpenGL is 'slow' Reply with quote

Gerk wrote:
Here's the funny thing about it's openGL though.. I installed Apple's X last night and it actually had glxgears! I ran glxgears and got a dismal 50fps (half of what you get with software GL in linux). Compared to my 1400fps with the identical hardware in linux and you can see where the true speed still is :)

Known problem - it is currently tied to the vertical refresh rate, see this post on Apple's x11-users list by a developer:

Quote:
On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 03:10 PM, Tom Peck wrote:
I'm wondering whether I should expect better OpenGL performance using
> the X11 provided by Apple.
>
> I see OpenGL is there and working (by running glxinfo) but glxgears
> only achieves 60 frames per second on a TiBook 800Mhz edition.
>
GL frame rates are synced to the vertical retrace in the current
release, this has been disabled now, so performance will be a lot
higher in future releases,

John

I just realised that with my Powerbook having an nVidia video card, I cannot actually install Linux on it.. (yet). Dang. What would have happened if OS X was based on Linux...
salimma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Need 'real' Unix on OS X? Fink project! Reply with quote

digitalnick wrote:
im no mac user so im gonna be lost in osx i was planning to have linux be there for me while i attempted to learn mac a little now im hesitating about buyin it. i need to get a new lappy but comparing the new one to the old 15 inch model there is no way i wanna go with it :(

Check out the Fink project: http://fink.sourceforge.net - it is an interesting combination of source/binary distribution; they use .info and .patch files that direct how packages are compiled while the sources are pulled in from mirrors or the original site (kind of like the BSD ports or.. yes, Gentoo! - without custom compiler flags though AFAIR :p).

Automatic dependency building etc., and the built packages get saved as standard Debian .deb packages. They also have binaries available but these tend to be less up-to-date.

HTH easing the Unix pain :p[/url]
TomorrowPlusX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: The topic has changed... Reply with quote

The topic of this thread has changed to opengl, but, I'm wondering -- how long do you guess before we'll see linux/gentoo support for the 12" powerbook?

You see, I'm buying (or preordering) one saturday... and I'm really excited. I'll of course just run XDarwin on it to get my work done until I can install gentoo, and I am patient, but nonetheless I'm sort of curious.
salimma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The topic has changed... Reply with quote

TomorrowPlusX wrote:
The topic of this thread has changed to opengl, but, I'm wondering -- how long do you guess before we'll see linux/gentoo support for the 12" powerbook?

Depends what level of 'support' you mean, I guess. I've only had one Mac before (iBook, sold it as I was doing too much video encoding for the lack of AltiVec to be terribly annoying) and at that time graphics was supported, but from my experience with x86 graphics, it should not be too hard to use the framebuffer.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well according to the apple site, the 12" is the same as the 17" inside, whereas teh 15" is the old (released november 2002!) hardware.

not that I'm a mac expert, but the firewire should work soonish because it's the old style firewire 400 not the new firewire 800

I wouldn't expect video support any time soon as it's nvidia, and they have no drivers for mac arch - xfree86 does support mac arch, so perhaps you can use it, just not 3d accelerated.

you probably all know this, as it's a week old, but
Quote:
Apple, a leading innovator in graphics systems, has announced support for X11 under Mac OS X, offering a complete X Window System implementation based on XFree86, the de facto standard for X11.

the rest shouldn't be too hard I'd imagine - the ide controller is ata100

why don't you go to your local mac reseller, and ask to try and put linux on it? I did that here and they were more than happy for me to try :D
TomorrowPlusX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:

why don't you go to your local mac reseller, and ask to try and put linux on it? I did that here and they were more than happy for me to try :D

Hah! Perhaps Australia's a little less paranoid than the US. None of the computer stores that I've found in DC or area would let you attempt to install linux. They rarely even let you use the computers.

They'd probably think I'm a terrorist or something... :?

Note: I am a bearded, swarthy (non practicing) muslim.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh LOL ic :D

well maybe I'll duck down the road, and ask the fellas if I can give linux a shot :)
salimma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Computer shop discrimination Reply with quote

TomorrowPlusX wrote:

They'd probably think I'm a terrorist or something... :?

Note: I am a bearded, swarthy (non practicing) muslim.

Being stereotyped against is always annoying... there was this article I read somewhere about this study finding, surprisingly, that in simulations where the subject is told to press a button to 'fire' and save a civilian/cop from threatening criminals - but only if said person is holding a gun - the reaction time, and the chance of mistaking a cell phone etc. as a gun - is higher on both Caucasian and Afro-American subjects if the 'target' is black :(

Apparently that's how the British aid worker was shot in the West Bank by Israeli troops, or it might be a systematic campaign to get UN observers out.. dunno.

Anyway, off-topic, sorry. Just want to comment that most shops would not let you do anything apart from getting a feel of how the system perform. I did remember seeing this gorgeous thin Digital 14" notebook in 1998, that a friend of mine duly sabotaged by putting a password on Windows screensaver :p
McManus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d'oh! I was just thinking about getting the 17" PowerBook..!! It is sad to hear that it has very little linux support, but then again I can live with OS X + X11 :-) Either way, I still want it (DESPITE the 5 -7 week wait).

I still haven't decided whether or not I want the vpr matrix 200A5 (2.0 GHz P4 that I could run Gentoo on perfectly), or wait for the 17" PowerBook. The good thing about the vpr is that it has great linux support, and is roughly half the cost of the 17" ($1600 after $400 mail in rebate!). I won't even have to take out a loan, heh. Decisions, decisions.....
Linux user #267375 - http://counter.li.org
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: