CONFIG_PROTECT strings
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
punter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: CONFIG_PROTECT strings Reply with quote

Hey guys,

In order to avoid the hassle of updating config files after "emerge -u", I added CONFIG_PROTECT="-*" to my /etc/make.conf

This had extremely bad consequences, most noticable being the corruption of /etc/fstab and /etc/make.conf files at somestages.

I've removed that line from /etc/make.conf, but am back to first step of needing to update files.
I'm looking for a good CONFIG_PROTECT string so that it minimizes the amount of _attention_ required for updating config files, while protecting important files. (ie there are many files like /etc/man.conf which maybe allowed to be updated automatically and some like /etc/fstab which almost never should be allowe dto be changed).

My knowledge of config files barely extends the top mentioned config ones !
Therefore, I would like to ask you, to share your CONFIG_PROTECT strings for the most minimal amount of effort required for updating config files, yet protecting important files, after "emerge -u" commands.

Thanks

Shane
jukka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: CONFIG_PROTECT strings Reply with quote

punter wrote:
In order to avoid the hassle of updating config files after "emerge -u", I added CONFIG_PROTECT="-*" to my /etc/make.conf

what did you expect from such a string?
CONFIG_PROTECT and CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK may hold $IFS (default: space, tab or newline) delimited absolute directory names. i think you can't set them to contain filenames.

hth, jukka
punter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, then a simple question.

how do gentoo users cope with this config updating process ?

do users go through all config files which are required to be updated (after emerge -u) and do diff and stuff and analyze one by one ?? isn't this extremely time-consuming ?

there must be a handier way, or some facility or config string out there which i'm unaware of.
jukka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

punter wrote:
how do gentoo users cope with this config updating process ?

after an update where config files were changed i run this function:
Code:
findcfg()
{
  local conf=/etc/make.globals;
  [ -r $conf ] && source $conf;
  find ${CONFIG_PROTECT:?} -type f -name '._cfg????_*' >/dev/null;
  return 0
}

it shows me which files need to be updated. then i diff all those files and update them as required. yes, one by one, and by hand.

Quote:
isn't this extremely time-consuming ?

depends on how many files you have to update...

Quote:
there must be a handier way, or some facility or config string out there which i'm unaware of.

i wouldn't shorten this process. if you really want to and regularly do backups, you can try this:
Code:
updatecfg()
{
  local fn x
  for x in $(findcfg); do
    fn="${x##*/}"
    mv -i "$x" "${x%/*}/${fn:10}"
  done
}
('findcfg' is a call to the function shown above)
you will be prompted for every config file found whether you want to overwrite it with the new one or not.

hth, jukka
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread for a script that checks whether config files were not modified by you and allows you to update them in one shot (NB. read comments regarding clean/autoclean first though).

etc-update in portage will guide you through update of config files interactively.

You can also maintain a list of files you have modified and write a script to update all other config files automatically (you can even generate this list by checking against the md5sums from the CONTENTS files in /var/db/pkg/...)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: