I'm going to install tomorrow, how bout some primers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: I'm going to install tomorrow, how bout some primers Reply with quote

Well the #1 problem that I have with Linux installations is that if something goes wrong I have to boot to windows to get help, big pain in the arse. I've done many Unix-Like OS Installs including Redhat 6.2-7.2, Debian Woody, Slackware 8.0, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and mandrake 7.? (I THINK) so I think i can handle the finer details of setting up the kernel etc. but I've never even heard of these different compiling optimizations. I've got a Thunderbird 800 w/256 MB PC2100 Ram, on a Via kt333 chipset-based Motherboard. (MSI KT3) I'm definitely interested in performance, but what would be safe values to use for the optimizations with this system. i've also seen alot of talk about using different compilers. and actually compiling the base system all over again. does doing that as opposed to using the binary base system yeild a good performance increase? furthermore, the installation that I'm most familiar with is debian as I've installed it so many times, anyone have any tips for the installation? BTW I've got a GF2 MX400 64MB Ram, an RTL8139 based NIC and a Creative SB Live! card.

TIA
Andre
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a hard copy of the documentation.

It's nice to have another computer that you can search the Forums/Google with.

Read the Tips & Tricks forum, especially the one about KDE - it might help your system be a smidgen faster.

Know your hardware.

The topic of speed increase has been discussed - search for it and you'll find a wealth of testimonies saying that compiling speeds things up.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alec wrote:
Have a hard copy of the documentation.

I think you would be alright without the hardcopy. There is a copy on the bootable 1.1a iso so just have two consoles open, one with the install and one with the install documentation.
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first installed, I read through the documents with a highlighter and highlighted all the code I needed. This saved me the frustration that I had during later installs when I skipped one step and didn't notice for a while.

Craftyc, I agree, it's certainly easy to just do a 'less /install.txt' in another window, but find it nicer to have a hard copy I can scribble on.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'mmm if you think of something during script/bootstrap.sh and you do CTRL-C. you have to cp /etc/make.conf.build back to /etc/make.conf. (the script temporarly copies the /etc/make.conf file during the first builds well if you brake you have to manually correct this step) Check if your optimisations are still in the file /etc/make.conf. I did it once and had to compile everything up to X again, you might skip this harse lesson and just do it right the first time. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: