Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
problem emerging portage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supaheckafresh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: problem emerging portage Reply with quote

Code:
[Neil-Strains-Computer:/Users/neilstrain] root# FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge portage
su: FEATURES=-collision-protect: Command not found.

Can anyone help me with this?
danie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: tcsh Reply with quote

You are probably using some version of the c shell (tcsh). You can just enter a bash session before issuing the emerge command: /bin/bash
Then issue your emerge command.

If you have no special reason for using tcsh then you can change your shell to bash in Terminal->Preferences, just specify /bin/bash for the login shell.

You will probably want to add -sandbox to the FEATURES in /etc/make.conf, or you might end up with an nonfunctional portage.
supaheckafresh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: using bash Reply with quote

I'm using bash. I've already added "-sandbox" to FEATURES= in /etc/make.conf
danie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that I asked about bash, was that your PS looks like the tcsh PS provided by apple. That command should work perfectly in bash. If you already have not done so, can you attempt to enter a bash shell using /bin/bash and then execute the command; I have had problems with Terminal.app where I chsh to bash, but it still used tcsh.
supaheckafresh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

/bin/bash did the trick. Thanks so much for the help.
danie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: su Reply with quote

Something I did not notice last night was that for some reason your terminal appears to want to su all of your commands. If you look at the error line, you will see that su is what is having problems.
su: FEATURES=-collision-protect: Command not found.

Perhaps the shell in your Terminal->Preferences is set to /bin/su, one of your users shells is set to /bin/su, there is some sort of sudo shell (if it exists) on your computer, or the command that you issued to change to root caused this to happen.

If you get additional errors preceded by su: then you should check your Terminal->Preferences and chsh for your intial login user and for root. If you just 'echo $SHELL` it will ONLY report the initial login shell of your initial user, unless you update your current users environment profiles, and can lead you to believe that your shell is different than the current setting.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: