Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Win2K client locks while accessing Samba (SOLVED!!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rndpkt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Win2K client locks while accessing Samba (SOLVED!!) Reply with quote

I'm running into an issue with Samba on Linux/Sparc. I have the latest samba package emerged onto my sparc. Samba is configured for a PDC role with all appropriate machine and user accounds. A Win2K client can authenticate perfectly against the box, get credentials, login to the workstation, etc. A user can browse through shares and folders just fine. However whenever the Win2K client attempts to open a file, the entire workstation locks up, requiring a kill of explorer.exe. Standard logging seems to reveal no obvious problem. Talking with some people on the IRC channel last night reveals that others are seeing similiar problems.

I enabled logging at level 4 and through all the spew it appears that whenever the Win2K box tries to access the file, Samba performs a series of file operations, including attempts at oplocks and then freezes and finally tries to send back an message of "NT_STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND" however this does not seem to unlock the client. For reference Samba appears to "see" the file exists (and it does exist as -rw-rw-rw). For reference, this same file structure is exported via NFS as well and file access works as expected there. I tried disabling NFS to rule out any lock problems but that didn't seem to help.

My USE flags are only "-X -java" and there's nothing beyond the default settings in make.conf for CCARGS.

The kernel is 2.6.7 and samba is 3.0.7-r1.

I'm continuing to look into this issue and need to check back with some folks on IRC as to what they've seen, but has anyone experienced this?

Last edited by rndpkt on Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:53 am; edited 2 times in total
rndpkt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked into this some more. I've looked at the traffic flow, the TCP steam seems to be working just fine in both directions between the server and the workstation. I've dumped a complete "transaction" of the Win2k box trying to open a sample file. To setup the scenario a little better, the file location /data/usr is shared as \\cirdan\usr. Within that is /data/usr/jason/learnvi.tar.gz. The user logged in to the Win2K box authenticates to a UNIX user that has read permisions to that file. I've posted a log of the attempt to open the file over Samba at http://www.devrandom.org/~jason/samba.log.
rndpkt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my smb.conf

EDIT: Removed full smb.conf listing.

My smb.conf is available from http://www.devrandom.org/~jason.smb.conf

Last edited by rndpkt on Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Farnsworth
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have the same problem: I can navigate trough directories but when I click once on a File, explorer hangs.
I'm using Samba 3.0.7 on a Sun Ultra-1 with kernel 2.4.26-sparc.
I've tested with another smb.conf file which was working fine on another machine (samba 3.0.2a running on mandrake 10.0 x86) in the same environnement but I have the same problem.
Help please and sorry for my very bad english :oops:
rndpkt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've opened this is a bug -- 66656 -- https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=66656
rndpkt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Linux/Sparc + Samba <-> Win2K Client Lockup SOLVED Reply with quote

A helpful person on the Samba mailing list suggested I try the following:

Code:
use sendfile = no

If you read in the manpage for smb.conf this appears to use a call to sendfile(2) instead of other, unspecified methods of reading the file from the underlying OS. Setting this to no (it's yes by default) sovles my problem and Samba behaves normally.

I'm curious if this setting solves other people's problems and if so, does this expose a bug in Samba or the underlying system?
Farnsworth
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, You solved my problem, this option works fine 8)
Thanks.
mrPr0ky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed my problem too! Thanks :)

I had the same problem after upgrading to 3.0.7-r1 (dont remember what version I had previous, didnt check. And then again a lot of other stuff got emerged/upgraded at the same time too. :oops: )

Linux x86 clients could connect just fine, but 2k and XP would freeze right up.
rndpkt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should sticky this?
Skreems
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please do sticky, and please note this is NOT just on the Sparc versions... this happened to me in x86 as well. Thanks for the fix!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: