Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frecko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:14 am    Post subject: 56k Reply with quote

I am a debian user interested in switching to gentoo but I was wondering how suitable gentoo is for a 56k dialup . I realise that when first setting up the download would be big (that is for a guy with a internet connection like the one I have :lol: ) kde X etc. What would be the on going (weekly) download for a typical desktop . Also does portage support resuming. thanks
Scarecrow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gonna be installing using 56k as well, to do this you either need to d/l all the sources and the portage tree beforehand, or setup a network that has a router connected to the net via your 56k. And yes you can resume incase you get dropped
svan9420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: 56 k Reply with quote

I installed gentoo on a 56K modem using a dial up gateway that I had set up on my other linux box. It worked great, just that it took a long time. But I am up and running now with two gentoo boxes. One box is configured as a gentoo router/dial up-gateway and the other is running as file server, database server (Oracle 8i), and web server.

Good luck
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekly downloads can be as much or as little as you'd like. Sign up for the gentoo-announce mailing list, it's low traffice and will tell you about big bugs and/or program changes. You don't have to rebuild stuff like X or KDE anywhere near frequently - I've been going months without having to rebulid X (well, except for when I screwed it up and couldn't fix it :)

There are options to use something like prozilla, but even the default wget resumes.

I doubt there will be much difference between how much you were updating your debian desktop and what you will be updating your Gentoo desktop.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benefit of gentoo is that it uses the source packages, so for a simple bug fix you don't have to download a huge file only the patches, the main source is already in /usr/portage/distfiles. So for big packages with little new realises, like X, its better than a binary based system where you have to download the whole package again and again and again for a small fix. The downside offcourse is a longer compile time, but well life ain't fair at least your linux is compiled for your specific processor
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: