how can i make my USB hotplug??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
girafon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: how can i make my USB hotplug?? Reply with quote

cause i want to use an external USB hd...
thanx
kybber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge hotplug? http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net
girafon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: thanx Reply with quote

but when i emerge, there are several config files...
i just want to make my usb ports hotplugable.
do i need to change theses config file and how??
thanx
kybber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm, afraid I have only just installed hotplug myself and haven't gotten around to configuring it. But AFAIK hotplug only trigges the loading/unloading of certain necessary modules based upon what was plugged into or unplugged from the USB-ports. If you have configured your kernel correctly, any plugging/unplugging on the USB ports should show up on dmesg. Additional info can be found in syslog.

Maybe someone else can help you configure hotplug to do what you want?
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!@#@$@ I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to grant access to normal users to the devices mounted by hotplug (can't find T.F.M.!!) Anyone know the most probably stupid little detail that I missed which makes the usb devices mounted by hotplug readable by other users than root!!??
biroed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the usb zip with hotplugging also, but i still have to insert the disk when i boot, otherwise there will be no sda4 and the zip is not moutable.
If i insert the disk before boot, it seems to work and can i change the disks without reboot...
fidler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use hotplugging.

What I did was:

emerge hotplug
rc-update add hotplug default

You will have to compile all the USB items as modules for hotplugging to work properly.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biroed wrote:
I'm using the usb zip with hotplugging also, but i still have to insert the disk when i boot, otherwise there will be no sda4 and the zip is not moutable.
If i insert the disk before boot, it seems to work and can i change the disks without reboot...

I have that same problem with the parellel version of the zip, so I believe it might be Zipdisk specific. I think it has something to do with the allocation of the drive number or osmething, although I haven't really dug into it. (I use my zip about as much as I use this Cisco 2502 router laying around here... which is like 1 or 2 times a year)
biroed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i don't use them also very much, but i think it's strange that without zip you won't get a drive allocation, even when it's recognized at boot.
A floppy or ls 120 don't have those problems.
biroed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidler wrote:
I use hotplugging.

What I did was:

emerge hotplug
rc-update add hotplug default

You will have to compile all the USB items as modules for hotplugging to work properly.

I did those things, but it didn't work as i hoped it would work.eg boot with zip..
Ard Righ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyron wrote:
!@#@$@ I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to grant access to normal users to the devices mounted by hotplug (can't find T.F.M.!!) Anyone know the most probably stupid little detail that I missed which makes the usb devices mounted by hotplug readable by other users than root!!??

I am not sure, but is there a 'usb' group at all ? Most of the non-root access for things in Gentoo you have to be part of a specific group.
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ard Righ wrote:
kyron wrote:

I am not sure, but is there a 'usb' group at all ? Most of the non-root access for things in Gentoo you have to be part of a specific group.

Well, there isn't a USB group and the only thing that seems to work for me for the moment is to call chmod -R a+rw /proc/bus/usb for me, as a normal user, to be able to access the camera. And this has to be performed each time I plug in the camera!

(grumbles)
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the case of changing the program that access it to suid root (I know it is not the best sollution, but may help. Just like xcdroast and stuff).

kyron wrote:
Ard Righ wrote:
kyron wrote:

Well, there isn't a USB group and the only thing that seems to work for me for the moment is to call chmod -R a+rw /proc/bus/usb for me, as a normal user, to be able to access the camera. And this has to be performed each time I plug in the camera!

(grumbles)
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Maybe it's the case of changing the program that access it to suid root (I know it is not the best sollution, but may help. Just like xcdroast and stuff).

Yeah...that waht I had on my list next... I'm not too worried aboutdoing so since this is not a server and only I use the machine... I can hardly see how this could cause dammage at this point :) Still...thanks for the tip, I'll try it out and keep you posted.
shadow303
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't have the link right now, but if you dig around on the homepage for gphoto, there are some docs which describe how to setup hotplug to make certain devices owned by a particular group. You then just add your users to the group. I got that working without a hitch, now if somebody would just update the gphoto ebuild, my camera would actually be usable.
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadow303 wrote:
Sorry I don't have the link right now, but if you dig around on the homepage for gphoto, there are some docs which describe how to setup hotplug to make certain devices owned by a particular group. You then just add your users to the group. I got that working without a hitch, now if somebody would just update the gphoto ebuild, my camera would actually be usable.

I've been through a few different procedures (PDAs, Digital Cameras) and they play around with the /dev/ directory on entries I don't seem to have... anyways, will try the suid stuff...

As for the gphoto2 stuff, there is presently a bug opened to update it to version 2.1. I simply opened the bug's page https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6558 and downloaded the ebuilds that were on that page. All works fine with my PowerShot A40 now! :-)... Just can't wait for them to include it into the regular portage tree.
LMCBoy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help! I also have a powershot A40. How do you use the ebuilds on that bug report page? Am I supposed to copy them into the /usr/portage tree? I tried "emerge ./gphoto2-2.1.1.ebuild" in my local directory, but it says that the ebuild is corrupted.

Also, there's a "libexif.tar.gz" file. Where am I supposed to put that so that the libexif-0.5.6.ebuild will find it?

I am very new to portage...the manual didn't seem to cover what to do if you have to use files that aren't already in the portage tree!

Thanks,
Jason
biroed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkane wrote:
biroed wrote:

I have that same problem with the parellel version of the zip, so I believe it might be Zipdisk specific. I think it has something to do with the allocation of the drive number or osmething, although I haven't really dug into it. (I use my zip about as much as I use this Cisco 2502 router laying around here... which is like 1 or 2 times a year)

problem solved, you do not need hotplugging, but an entry in devfsd.conf for the sda4 device.
The zip drive works now as it should :D
rfgarcia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i think is a matter of module-specific-development or somehow, cause when at boot tries to load module 'imm' it reads the zip unit, and because of Zip's hardware specs, "if no disk, no drive".
arkane wrote:

jamieo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMCBoy wrote:
Help! I also have a powershot A40. How do you use the ebuilds on that bug report page? Am I supposed to copy them into the /usr/portage tree? I tried "emerge ./gphoto2-2.1.1.ebuild" in my local directory, but it says that the ebuild is corrupted.

Also, there's a "libexif.tar.gz" file. Where am I supposed to put that so that the libexif-0.5.6.ebuild will find it?

I am very new to portage...the manual didn't seem to cover what to do if you have to use files that aren't already in the portage tree!

Thanks,
Jason

Did you find out any answers to this? I'm trying to get a Canon G3 working, which needs gphoto2 2.1.1

Cheers,
Jamie
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: