Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Where does /etc/make.profile come from?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kibab

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Where does /etc/make.profile come from? Reply with quote

I have read through the install documentation and it only mentions make.profile once in step 11. As I have read through various posts, it seems that make.profile is a symlink to some directory, but I'm not sure where it needs to link to? So, where should it be pointing, and when does it get created?

I did an emerge rsync and emerge sync and neither makes a difference. Both say that make.profile is missing and that emerge sync should fix the problem.

Thanks for your help.

--Kibab

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the Official Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc6 to Gentoo Linux 1.0 upgrade instructions. It should get you started. :)
kibab

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: upgrade notes Reply with quote

Thanks. That's what I needed.

Out of curiosity, why do these apply when I'm using the (stage 1) 1.1a ISO? I would assume that this wouldn't have been needed.

(It is very possible that I missed something in the instructions but I didn't see anything. I've just been on/off so often with so little time on that it's been hard to keep track of where I was).

--kibab
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: upgrade notes Reply with quote

kibab wrote:
Out of curiosity, why do these apply when I'm using the (stage 1) 1.1a ISO? I would assume that this wouldn't have been needed.

You're right, they don't apply. :) But that guide contains instructions to relink /etc/make.profile, so it can get you started. I'd still suggest you take a look at /usr/portage/profiles to find the correct destination in your case. :)

PS: that Guest above was me...
kibab

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I see what you meant regarding /usr/portage. I was able to link make.profile to the right one (default-1.0) and then continue the process. I finished the bootstrap process and will probably continue with the process tonight.

PS: Starting from stage 1, I have been able to bootstrap from a modem without installing any of the misc. packages like ppp-2.4.1, wvdial, etc., using my current distro. If anyone is interested in YAWTIGL, let me know.

--Kibab
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: