Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
To all those Radeon Users: How did you install it?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_bard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:02 am    Post subject: To all those Radeon Users: How did you install it? Reply with quote

A week or two ago, I traded in my ATI Rage 128 Pro for an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. After spending a few days trying to install it, I gave up, and spent the time up to the present gaming in M$ Windows.

Windows is grating on my nerves (again), so I've decided to get back into the fray, and get this card installed. I just gotta figure out how... which leads me to the next question. How did you install it?

I've tried the binaries off of ATI's site... their "Check.sh" script quickly notes that I'm using glibc 3.2, and it's unsupported by their driver (or so I remember). I tried emerging XFree86 4.2.99, but upon running "XFree86 -configure", it seemed my blank space character was replaced by some funky character... looked more like random dots than anything else. I haven't checked the configuration file it spat out, yet, either. I haven't tried the GATOS drivers yet, since I've paid more attention to the ATI drivers.

Does anybody have any recommendations?
ehudokai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:33 am    Post subject: try the standard XFree86 Drivers... Reply with quote

Make sure you can get it to work there first, then move on to the ATI drivers...

I only have a radeon 7500 which ati doesn't even make drivers for, so I can't help you there, but my setup works wonderfully with XFree86 4.2.1 and the DRI drivers from dri.sourceforge.net.

Hope this helps...
TripKnot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple threads here dealing with the ATI drivers and installation. It may be worth your time to search for them.
the_bard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind... got it.

I tried installing XFree86 4.2.99... apparently that messed up my charset. Any time I tried to run the X server, it would die, leaving me at the console... with very screwed up characters. Some were the same, some looked like little shrubs... that's the closest I can describe them.

So I went back to XFree86 4.2.1... and installed the ATI drivers. Initially, I received an error from fglrx stating that it couldn't find a matching Device section for instance(BusID PCI 1:0:0). I went to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and under the Device section, found a line containing PCI 1:0:1... so I changed that to 1:0:0. Now it works.

Mind you, I did the same thing a week or two ago, before I reinstalled Gentoo... and it didn't work. Why it does now is beyond me...

*sigh* I hate being a newbie.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: