living in non residential areas
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:25 am    Post subject: living in non residential areas Reply with quote

hi,

after the crash in sillicn valey, there are a lot of empty office buildings. and I (as a poor young guy ;) ) was wondering if i could live in one of those. I looked for prices and found nice offices that cost only a few bucks/sqrft.

the building i am talking about lags a shower (which can probably be added for a few hundered bucks). but besides that it is perfect (tons of parking spaces, quiet, two bathrooms, huge garage(for partys), and a already set up lan)

now to what i wanted to ask :) are there any legal restrictions, for living in non residential areas? did you get any good deals for normal appartments? how?

dennis
broschi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe. I doubt it's legal because it's not accomodated to live in there, it's all about security and stuff. For example, I don't think you can install a kitchen, you must have a good ventilation system to cope with the daily smoke and odors.

Perhaps if you set up a legitimite business that can also accomodate 'homeless' employes like the boss that works overtime 24/7 365 days a year! Tell us if it works, I might move there. ;)
simulacrum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I moved into my current apartment, I thought about doing the same thing. Unfortunately, the only reasonably priced office space I could find was in a not so nice neighborhood. I'd be really curious how you come out..
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? I live in a basement with two tiny windows far away from my kitchen. I use the ventilation in my bathroom for the kitchen :P

broschi wrote:
hehehe. I doubt it's legal because it's not accomodated to live in there, it's all about security and stuff. For example, I don't think you can install a kitchen, you must have a good ventilation system to cope with the daily smoke and odors.

uncle_meat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not legal, but if my choices were between going homeless and squatting in an office building, I'd choose the latter. The office building managers aren't going to report you as long as you aren't blatant about it - they need the money pretty badly.

Think about all the late 90's Silly Valley tech startups where employees put in insane hours and often slept at their desks. So that's what you're doing - you're running a startup. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: