USE keywords
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: USE keywords Reply with quote

Is there a specific thread or document that announces when new USE keywords were added or deleted? I just noticed that apache2 keyword was added...I just happened to be looking through the USE DOC (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/use-howto.xml) or else I would have never known.
hertog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check here: http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml for a complete (automated) list of use flags and their description.
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i guess you didn't read my post carefuly enough. I know that listing..I even put the link in my post. My question is how can i find out automatically that there has been a new keyword added/deleted. Is there some kind of announcement? Like we have GLSA (Gentoo Linux Security advisory) on the forum. I think it would be nice to be informed when there is a new keyword added / deleted.
hertog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*DU*, I must've been sleeping :). Sorry for the inconvenience (Damn, you really DID put that link in your post... things are going downhill with me :))

And as far as I know, USE stuff is not announced. Hmmm, maybe that is an idea? If part of portage was a plain text file in /etc/conf.d that contained just the useflags (maybe even the automatically generated list on the link we both used) and if that list gets updated every time something changes and/or someone rsyncs, then at the end of emerge rsync, you'd get the changes in said list with etc-update, and thus know what has changed...

Idea?

Gr.

Hertog
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not a bad idea. As part of emerge sync/rsync could be a line of code that updates a simple text file that lists all the available USE flags. Once you are done syncing it can just print a message to say "XYZ new key word added to /path/to/usekeywords.txt". Does anyone else have any good ideas on this?
Paidhi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It looks like "New use variables" will be a part of the new Gentoo Linux Newsletter. :o
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20021223-newsletter.xml

Regards,
Markus
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome dude. I signed up for the newsletter but didn't know USE flags were going to be included. Thanks a lot! I think this is a very good solution too.
doug-x07
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalione wrote:
Thats not a bad idea. As part of emerge sync/rsync could be a line of code that updates a simple text file that lists all the available USE flags.
I don't know what exactly updates the file (not emerge rsync it would seem) but /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc has the current use flags available. If someone knows what updates the file it would be easy to hack a script to detect new additions.
try { $again } catch { $problem && $resolve };
bless $posters; }
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: