The coolest DVD EVAR!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: The coolest DVD EVAR! Reply with quote

I recieved Mindcandy for Christmas and decided that I must make EVERY EFFORT to promote it, because:
a) If they sell enough copies, there may be a volume 2 (and 3, and 4, and...)
b) It's damn cool

Anyone who is even remotely familiar with the PC demoscene or has ever coded for the fun of it is doing themselves a disservice by not owning a copy. Trixter and the others who worked on this obviously put in a herculean effort and deserve consideration for sainthood. Getting some of the older demos to even run is hard enough - getting them on to DVD borders on masochistic, but they did an amazing, professional job (they look and sound fantastic).
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: The coolest DVD EVAR! Reply with quote

phong wrote:
Getting some of the older demos to even run is hard enough - getting them on to DVD borders on masochistic, but they did an amazing, professional job (they look and sound fantastic).

I tryed run some downloaded demo and I feel myself like masochist- HOW they make them run?! Yea I have windows too.
rbonthond
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget windows... install dos and dos4gw to get most oldskool demos working...
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbonthond wrote:

Ive tryed just some windows demos...But they dont work! Talk about software quality...
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded a couple of the Windows demos and intros from 2001 and 2002 and they ran fine on my machine... The oldskool ones can be a bear, but most of the newer ones work OK out of the box.
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what this is all about. the site isnt very clear. maybe it's the fever talking... can someone spell it out for me?
rbonthond
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antik wrote:
rbonthond wrote:

Ive tryed just some windows demos...But they dont work! Talk about software quality...

I speak only for myself, but as a old demo coder I had 3 targets when writing demos:
1. looks good
2. code cannot be any faster, optimized it maximally
3. it works on the demo compo machine at a party

after that normally i did not do any more work on it... if it didnt work on other machines, to bad, i was working on a new demo.

besides, because of the optimalisations the code was kinda ... spagetti like ... not something that was really portable...

so we only tested the code on the machines me and my buddies had, and on the compo machine... if it worked there we were done.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karylus: If you're not familiar with the PC demoscene (or Amiga, or C64 or Atari ST, or...), you probably won't have any idea what the big deal is. The "Info" link on that page has a little bit of info. This page has a more comprehensive explanation (though many of the links are now broken.) Also, check out www.scene.org.
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phong wrote:
I downloaded a couple of the Windows demos and intros from 2001 and 2002 and they ran fine on my machine... The oldskool ones can be a bear, but most of the newer ones work OK out of the box.

OK maybe these demos run under dos and win9x but I tryed under w2k with Nvidia Vanta 16MB on P2-350MHz, 256MB ram, 3*40G hdds and most of them dont work.
rbonthond
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antik wrote:
phong wrote:

OK maybe these demos run under dos and win9x but I tryed under w2k with Nvidia Vanta 16MB on P2-350MHz, 256MB ram, 3*40G hdds and most of them dont work.

probably because of w2k. It has a different kernel that w98 (infact.. w98 doesn't have a kernel, it uses dos for that). I haven't tried it but i can imagine that dos4gw will not work under w2k, but you might surf the net so see if you can find a version that does work under w2k, and replace the one from the demo with it. However all the ones that use the bootloader from tran (forgot the name) will probably only work under w98.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the newer ones actually require Windows (they use OpenGL or DirectX for their graphics, hence need the video drivers). I ran them under Win2k on my GeForce 2... The newer ones probably won't look great unless you've got a 1GHz+ machine (the demo machines at ASM 2002 were 1.something GHz with a GeForce 3 I believe).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: