Gentoo for Selected?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Gentoo for Selected? Reply with quote

"ohh-ohh, just compiled gentoo from source, uhh-ohh, I´m p0w3ru53r". :twisted: I hear often from other linux users that gentoo users think they are bigger&better. What do you think. Is there Gentoo hype?
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact remains that I am bigger and better than most, but it has nothing to do with Gentoo. *rimshot*

But seriously, I see more gentoo-bashing than I see gentoo-bragging. A lot of it on slashdot. However I'm confident in my choice as gentoo as my distro (running it on 5 boxes: 4 servers and a desktop) and will pimp it when I can.

As far as "hype", name something that doesn't get hyped more than it deserves, aside from the Lord of the Rings movies. Granted gentoo hype isn't linked to marketroids and money, so it might be a little more tolerable.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

non gentooers thing gentooers are full of ourselves b/c we appear to do things the 'hard way' by building form source, no gui conf. tools, etc. But in reality i think those ways are much better once you're used to them. (Hell, back in windows i started most apps form the run box). Gui tools are confusing.
broschi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell'em to shut up and that Gentoo is used in high performance computing w/ clusters determining mechanical fluid stuff and other things I don't event understand. Check ou the Adelie project used by the University of Montreal and GE-Hydro (General Electric which builds washing machines and aircraft engines) among others.

http://www.cerca.umontreal.ca/chp/
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly, some of the comments mad above "tell them to shut up" etc is not exactly improving other peoples view of Gentoo users.

I'm running Gentoo on 4 PC's. My 2 PC's here at work. I run everything from Office programs (wordprocessing etc) to Oracle Database and Adminstration tools (Enterprise Manager) to Oracle Apps which is web based.

I haven't had any issues with my production system really. It's easy to setup (contrary to what many others say), just make sure that you are not using too much esoteric equipment. If you are, remove it first and configure Gentoo and then add piece by piece.

I don't think I'm any better than any other Linux users, it's just that I found that Gentoo suites my needs and my level of knowledge. In fact, I try to stay as un133t as possible :)

Erik
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:

I haven't had any issues with my production system really. It's easy to setup (contrary to what many others say), just make sure that you are not using too much esoteric equipment. If you are, remove it first and configure Gentoo and then add piece by piece
Erik

or just don't worry abo0ut the weird stuff for a while. The distros that try to set up your hardware will choke on weird stuff while you can ignore it w/ gentoo until you have some time.

/me goes back to watching tv on gentoo.
iancurtis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo ownz. :wink:
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancurtis wrote:

And this is a typical comment that makes Gentoo users look stupid.

Erik
broschi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
iancurtis wrote:

Erik

Cut if off, he's just pride and happy about Gentoo unlike other binary distro users which are pissed off because G is superior performance wise and they are of a lower level.

Thing is we're a huge community (if we take for granted that those who frequent this forum are a minority) and woudn't like if everybody were the same. Let him be a teen we'll let you be an adult.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broschi wrote:
ebrostig wrote:
iancurtis wrote:

Erik

Cut if off, he's just pride and happy about Gentoo unlike other binary distro users which are pissed off because G is superior performance wise and they are of a lower level.

Thing is we're a huge community (if we take for granted that those who frequent this forum are a minority) and woudn't like if everybody were the same. Let him be a teen we'll let you be an adult.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure if you read the original posting:
antik wrote:

"ohh-ohh, just compiled gentoo from source, uhh-ohh, I´m p0w3ru53r". icon_twisted.gif I hear often from other linux users that gentoo users think they are bigger&better. What do you think. Is there Gentoo hype?

I tend to agree with him, and comments as demonstrated by other posters just reinforces that view.
Sure he can go around beeing a teen (that is IF he is a teen :) ), but don't do that to other Linux users if your goal is to spread the use of gentoo. It'll only hurt.

I couldn't care less what he says really, but a lot of people obviously do, so spare me the "rulez and 133t" comments.

Erik
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:

Sure he can go around beeing a teen (that is IF he is a teen :) ), but don't do that to other Linux users if your goal is to spread the use of gentoo. It'll only hurt.
Erik

We have to respect other linux users and make no embarrasement for ourselves.

Sorry my english. But I speak freely Estonian and Russian and understand Finnish. :oops:
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ...something i learned in my 4 years (i know...it's little in comparison to some users) of using linux is that linux has more distros that are different because there are more types of users (that reminds me of that 10 types binary fortune ;) hehe) and every distro has it's own users and that's the way it should be

..there is no perfect distro, because there are no perfect users ...it's just different types and preferences. and actually more distros mean more forks of developement :) from which everyone benefits

...so we should stick to the old latin saying: DE GUSTIBUS (ET DE COLORIS NON DISPUTABIMUS) and let it be :)

small remark: if anyone at all deserves (which they don't) to be called a "l33t" user because of his distro it should be LFS users
not so small remark: if anyone (which they do) deserves to be called a "l33t" user it's the developers ...a gentoo/slackware/LFS n00b is just as a n00b as a mandrake one

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
bos_mindwarp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running redhat (with occasional trips to SuSEland and mandrake) for 3-4 years, and have learned how it works (for me):
a.) installation: de-select a lot of things, partition manually
b.) install nvidia drivers from source
c.) run setup to disable ipchains (install settings never worked for me), give up and delete *ipchains from /etc/rc(n).d/ (i have dedicated firewall)
d.) build imlib2, eterm, blackbox, divxcodec, libmad, xine from source
e.) build gcc-3.x from source
f.) build a vanilla kernel, recompila nvidia drivers

Then rh-8.0 came out and I thought "goodie, now I have gcc-3.2" and to my disappointment, I had no mp3 playback anymore, and my local settings have gone insane (swedish). I could type swedish characters locally, but my mail was unreadable to others and vice versa. I got fed up (again) with what I thought was "yet anoter rh-x.0 release" and installed mandrake.
Mandrake thought my disk geometry was wrong and chewed up my fat32 partition with 1000 mp3's (doh!). So much for no-brainer wizards.
Then I went for gentoo, and I must admit I was bit bored while it was compiling stuff, but once finished, it worked (still does) as a charm. Hey, I even managed to rip dvd's on linux, and that was new for me.

So if non-gentooers think they're fine without it, jolly good for them, cheers. I like it. If I think I'm special because I use gentoo, I say no, it only works.

P.S.
I agree that bad attitude is not helpful, the reason I never installed debian was that "rtfm you stupid noob" attitude that debian community sometimes had. Someone prevously posted nice post about "rtfm", a guy who is well trained in karate can kick ass from most of debian users, just because they haven't "rtfm" about martial arts. Poetic justice?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: