installing emu10k1 (SB audigy)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ntr0g3n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 8:06 am    Post subject: installing emu10k1 (SB audigy) Reply with quote

I hope this is accurate and helps some audigy users. If it doesn't, hey, I'm just a noob. I didn't want to wait for the fixed emu10k1 driver to properly support my audigy card. But thats just me.

I was having a hell of a time installing the emu10k1-0.20-r1 driver for use with my Audigy sound card. I was searching around looking for some helpful information, when I came across a couple of posts mentioning a bug in the latest emu10k1 ebuild and unresolved symbols errors. Sure enough, I received those errors as well when trying to install the latest emu10k1 driver. So I unmerged the latest emu10k1 ebuild and followed the steps below.

1. I went to opensource.creative.com...only to find a link to the emu10k1, which took me to this page http://sourceforge.net/projects/emu10k1
2. Clicking the download link for emu10k1 took me to this page http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=44773&release_id=113326
3. There I downloaded emu10k1-v0.19a.tar.bz2
4. unpacked emu10k1 (tar -xvjpf), compiled and installed the driver.
5. Wrote 1 line in /etc/modules.autoload alias sound emu10k1
6. Wrote another line in /etc/modules.d/aliases alias sound emu10k1
7. Ran modprobe emu10k1 and rebooted my system.
8. Cool, the module loaded.
9. ran xmms as , mounted MP3 drive, etc.
10. No sound? Hmm, damnit... I had aumix installed, opened aumix cranked all the settings to 100 percent and played an mp3...sound worked at this point, but something was wrong with my subwoofer...no bass.
11. I edited the emu10k1.conf located in the /etc directory and found this excerpt...

# Most Lives have their analog front signals inverted. If you have
# problems with your setup (low bass), try changing this to 'yes'. (This
# option has no effect with digital setups)
INVERT_REAR=yes

12. I changed this to yes, saved the file changes and rebooted my system.
13. Sound then worked, all 5.1 speakers work properly and subwoofer functions normally.

Anyway, Sine your piddy on da runny kine, most of you have probably already know all this, but I'm relativley new to Linux and Gentoo and was so stoked when I got all this sound stuff working.

Sa-Da-Tay. Peace.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, nice lil guide...

one thing i have allways noticed about these drivers is that when i put the volume meter thing in xmms to max the sound goes blurry and crackly, this doesnt happen in windows, i also have to turn my speaker volume controla lot more to get the same loudness as in windows.

EDIT: Its the PCM thats makes the sound go horrible, i'll keep it at 80%
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: