Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Tweaked the stage1.tbz2 file
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toohardtothinkofone

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 7:38 pm    Post subject: Tweaked the stage1.tbz2 file Reply with quote

Well Since I decided to install Gentoo on several boxes, I tweaked the install a bit o shorten certain steps. All boxes have similar hardware and I am going to partition the hd's the same way.

Anyway here is what I did. Just to shorten a few steps. It really only knocks about 10 minutes off of the install depending on how fast you type.

I added/edited the following files so that I would have less to configure manually. /etc/fstab (all hd's are hde, all my boxen have promise controllers) /etc/mak.conf all nicely edited with the use flags that I want, cpu archetcure (works for me because all are p3's or athlons) /etc/init.d/net (all will use dhcp) and my .config in /usr/src/linux

This really only works if you are installing Gentoo on multiple machine with similar hardware. Otherwise too much trouble :-)
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:arrow: Stating the very obvious:
if the systems are using the same processor architecture you can also compile the bootstrap and maybe even the system stage, hell maybe everything, that's some speed-up. Can then copy the whole root dir to another system and build it from where the system differs. Base of the system is mostly the same only compile flags mather and in a later stage USE flags.
JefP@@
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweaked the stage1.tbz2 file Reply with quote

Toohardtothinkofone wrote:
Well Since I decided to install Gentoo on several boxes, I tweaked the install a bit o shorten certain steps. All boxes have similar hardware and I am going to partition the hd's the same way.

Anyway here is what I did. Just to shorten a few steps. It really only knocks about 10 minutes off of the install depending on how fast you type.

I added/edited the following files so that I would have less to configure manually. /etc/fstab (all hd's are hde, all my boxen have promise controllers) /etc/mak.conf all nicely edited with the use flags that I want, cpu archetcure (works for me because all are p3's or athlons) /etc/init.d/net (all will use dhcp) and my .config in /usr/src/linux

This really only works if you are installing Gentoo on multiple machine with similar hardware. Otherwise too much trouble :-)

Why not building everything on one machine and then making an exact copy to all the other hd's (with dd ;) ) . Shouldn't be a problem, since it's all the same hw ?

Just a thought

Grtz
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing u could have done would be to mkae symlinks /dev/BOOT /dev/SWAP and /dev/BOOT.But yeah for the same hardwarwe u might as well have made ur own stage3 or higher and taken that around.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: