Almost got this wireless pcmcia thing down
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Almost got this wireless pcmcia thing down Reply with quote

Man, if it weren't for some scattered posts on these boards I'd be really frustrated right now. Anyways, here's the story:

Basically, did what was stated in this post. Edited /etc/wlan/wlan.conf, wlancfg-random (my ESSID) and /etc/pcmcia/network.opts with my relevant info. My Linksys WPC11 is on, can ping the gateway but won't resolve hostnames. /etc/resolv.conf has my correct nameservers as does /etc/pcmcia/network.opts. ifconfig shows wlan0 as up and running.

Now, I did NOT compile the kernel with Wireless Lan (non-hamradio) support so there are no wireless extensions. Do I need to go back, recompile wireless lan into the kernel, recompile linux-wlan, re-emerge pcmcia-cs just so I can resolve hostnames? Accord. to Jean Tourrilhes, wireless extensions should be compiled in the kernel. Should the card work at all without these?

I haven't touched /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts yet as iwconfig won't work w/o the wireless extensions.
scum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I figured it out. Forgot something very simple.

route add -net default gw **** netmask **** metric 1

Works great now (no switching cat 5 back and forth). But I'm still curious about no wireless extensions and the wireless tools. Anyone know what the lack of these will do? I guess I'll recompile and re-emerge everything later but it's no longer a priority.

Thanks for being there. :D
krt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote] But I'm still curious about no wireless extensions and the wireless tools. Anyone know what the lack of these will do? I guess I'll recompile and re-emerge everything later but it's no longer a priority.
[/quote]

For starters, if you're using a prism2 based card, I highly suggest grabbing the hostap driver (its awesome for clients too!). Its not in portage yet, but works nicely!

you can find hostap here:
http://hostap.epitest.fi/

as for wireless tools and extensions, a lot of "Extra" programs, such as wavemon, require them. Not having wavemon with wireless is a shame!

unlike hostap, wavemon -is- in portage. Check it out!
bps7j
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: note on modules in the kernel Reply with quote

I am using a Cisco Aironet 350 series and also want a standard 3com to work without any contortions. I was able to get the aironet to work for me during installation but then had trouble getting it to be recognized after reboot into my new system. I hope this helps someone:

The cisco and the 3com cards are *both* supported by pcmcia-cs and you don't need to bother with wlan or anything; and also, they will show up as eth* not wlan* which is nice. But note that when you emerge pcmcia-cs, *it checks your kernel config* to tell how it should be built (I assume -- why else would it do that?). Thus you must have your kernel properly configured before you emerge pcmcia-cs.

When you DO emerge pcmcia-cs, note the output says some things about how to properly configure your kernel! This usually scrolls right by and you miss it, so try running

Code:
emerge pcmcia-cs | tee > someFileYouWantToReadLater

and then you can look at the output later. Basically it says
Quote:
PCMCIA/CardBus support under General Setup is off and Wireless LAN (non-ham radio) is on but no modules or drivers turned on under Network Device Support if you have wireless

This worked for me, post a reply if you want more details or send mail to me at yahoo.
bps7j
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: further note Reply with quote

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS

for a list of cards that are supported by pcmcia-cs
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: