View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: FAQ Reply with quote

This is quick and dirty faq for gentoo on amd64 feel free to add something and correct me.

VERY IMPORTANT
If you ask the question about something that doesn't work please post relevant/related information(for example "emerge info" or dmesg output if the error is shown there), so we dont have to deduce it.It is wise to check https://bugs.gentoo.org because there is a possibility that your particular problem is already listed there. Also you might try this amd64 howto . It is also a good idea to check gentoo-wiki site cause it might help alot. Here is a nice article: 64-bit computing: Co-existing in a 32-bit world which might explain you better how 32bit emulation work on 64bit linux. If you are going to use hardened profile, hardened multilib is not supported in the kernel so you might get problems with 32-bit applications.

COMMON MISTAKES
Many people tend to forget to enable 32bit emulation in kernel, so CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION=y.
Please read the technotes and have a look at gentoo on amd64 HANDBOOK .

Q: I am new and interested in amd64 improvements over old x86:
A: Some little benchmarks can be found in this forum.An interesting article. Some xmame benchmarks.

Q: Will performance suffer if I use 32-bit emulation?
A: The 32-bit binaries will run as fast as you'd expect from a modern processor. The performance loss is insignificant.

Q: Example CFLAGS for amd64
A: CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe" should be stable enough. Search the forums for this because there is pretty much info availible. Please don't add -m64 to your CFLAGS! Some posts about it.
Here is a post about -ffast-math. Here is a document from amd with recommended cflags.

Q Example CFLAGS for em64t
A: CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe", check this thread.

Q: Example CFLAGS for 32 bit installation on athlon64/opertron
A: Just like normal athlons but you can use sse2. You can also use -march=athlon64 if you use gcc3.4+ and install using x86 livecd. This will imply sse. Also see here for more details.

Q: I've got problems with Athlon X2 , livecd won't boot with it.
A: If you get "Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!" while booting livecd try "nosmp" boot option.
Here is a thread with some suggestions.

Q: mplayer / xine dont play some movies , *.wmv/*.rm/win32codecs dont work
A: You need 32bit mplayer to use 32bit codecs (for stuff like wmv9 and real). No win64codecs are currently availible.
Take a look at this guide and this topics: xine thread or this mplayer thread or just search for "mplayer" in amd64 forum what will answer your questions on this topic more completely. 32bit realpayer also works on amd64 if you want to play *.rm files.
See here what gentoo-wiki has to say about it.

Q: How to compile in 32 bits on amd64?
A: You have to have to compile gcc with "multilib" in your USE flags. Then take your software you want to compile and run
Code:

CFLAGS="-march=i386 -m32 " LDFLAGS="-m32" ./configure --prefix=/usr

It works for me in 99% of cases. Check the question below about wine. Remember, you will also need 32 bit libs for ur package installed. I tested this method so far on freespace2 linux port, libaal , openal and it worked.

Q: How do i enable nx (non-execute) on amd64
A: This kernel boot parameters do the job : noexec=on and noexec32=on for 32 bit applications. Here are some amd64 boot parameters.

Q: How to use Cool and Quiet/Cool'n'Quiet/powernow
A: First check http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_PowerNow!.
Quick summary:
kernel config:
Code:

Power management options  --->
[*] Power Management support
< > /proc/cpufreq interface (deprecated)
CPU Frequency scaling  --->
Default CPUFreq governor (ondemand)
    <*> 'powersave' governor
    <*> 'ondemand' cpufreq policy governor
    <*> CPU frequency table helpers
    <*> 'conservative' governor
    [*] Use ACPI tables to decode valid frequency/voltage pairs
   <*>   CPU frequency table helpers
   <*> AMD Opteron/Athlon64 PowerNow!

To enable ondemand:
Code:

echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice

To change speed to precisely to 2000Mhz
Code:

echo userspace > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo 2000000 > sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

Check the documentation in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/cpu-freq/ for description of the governors.

Q: Bootloader on amd64
A: lilo , syslinux , grub:
Here is a very nice grub error collection.
A nice grub howto.

Q: The realtime clock of my pc runs at insane rate, clock is too fast/slow
A: Try using "clock=pmtmr notsc" as kernel parameters. Some people report to have more success with "noapictimer" kernel paramter. Also try "no_timer_check=0".

Q: "Warning: many lost ticks. Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging resources."
A: Check this post.

Q: Lost Interrupts
A: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1395349#1395349

Q: My 32 bit software needs * libraries.
A: 1) Check if you installed all emul- ebuilds with "emerge -s emul-linux-x86"
2) Use filename on google to get library name, get 32 bit library from some other 32 bit distribution (I prefer fedora core). Convert rpm to tar.gz by using rpm2targz. Copy unpacked libs in /usr/lib32, run ldconfig. Hope it works :D

Q: How to install some ebuild which are masked.
A: Dont use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86" because it tends to break!
There are several methods to do this.
1) Just add "<package name> amd64" to your /etc/portage/package.keywords
2) You can use "ekeyword" from the gentoolkit-dev package:
Code:

ekeyword \amd64 /usr/portage/x11-libs/wxGTK/wxGTK-2.5.1-r1.ebuild   

3) edit the ebuild manually like and add "amd64" in KEYWORDS variable, for example
Code:

nano /usr/portage/x11-libs/wxGTK/wxGTK-2.5.1-r1.ebuild

and then just "emerge wxGTK".

Q: Wine/Cedega with amd64 ?
This post deals with latest problems people have with wine. Also here is a nice amd64 cedega faq at transgaming.

Q: My flash / java / some other 32bit plugin doesn`t work.
A: At the moment if you want to use 32 plugins with 64 bit browser your only choice is to use konqueror or to use 32 bit browser. How to use 32 bit plugins with 64 bit Konqueror here , post with a package here
32bit flash/32 bit java wont work with 64 bit browser so you have to either live with 32bit browser or dont use flash.

Q: openoffice-bin fails
A: A quick Openoffice 2 beta howto.
try FEATURES="-sandbox" emerge openoffice-bin
A pair of reference threads here and here

Q: I want to try reiser4 on amd64
A:There is a user created livecd which has theese features. Also see this wiki for more info. I myself use reiser4 with
nitro sources without any problems.

Q: I am having problems with 32bit games/opengl applications
A: Please be sure you installed your nvidia or ati card correctly. Then run "glxinfo" to check if you have hardware accelerated rendering. You can also fix lots of 32bit opengl software by
"export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1" or/and "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib32".
Also try "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib/" if you get this error with nvidia card.

Q: DRI OpenGL doesn't work with 32-bit applications (et, ut, whatever) on ATI, what can I do?
A:
Code:
export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH="/usr/lib32/modules/dri/:/usr/lib64/modules/dri"

if your 3d application works with it then add
Code:
LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH="/usr/lib32/modules/dri/:/usr/lib64/modules/dri"

somewhere in your environment I suggest /etc/env.d/99local
For more details see this howto.

Q: Teamspeak (ts2) Runtime error 234 at 0805D21F
A: Please READ the first post in this thread as it will solve your problem with 99% probablility. Also this and this bugzilla links might give you the clue.

-------------------------------[HARDWARE RECOMENDATIONS]-----------------------------------------

Q: What Wireless to buy for amd64?
A: Atheros chipset cards are supported by madwifi drivers. Atmel AT76C503/505A cards schould also work, check here. Ralink has also amd64 support, ra2500 gentoo's wiki, here is ra2500 problems thread. Older prism-based cards work except newer 802.11g cards like SMC2802W ver.2+ (v1 works fine). Here is a quote from prism54.org wiki:
Quote:

15) What card should I buy?
At the moment it's not recommend to buy a prism based 802.11g card, because all new cards are SoftMAC cards which are stating being supported. You may be more lucky with another card with opensource linux drivers. Ralink is an example.

Check linux-wlan-ng(it is also in portage) if you have Intersil Prism2/2.5/3. Broadcom-based cards work with this 64bit windows driver if loaded with ndiswrapper, also check this thread. Here is a very usefull list if you don't know exactly what chipset does your wlan card have. Also Linuxant DriverLoader might be a solution for you.
If you want to get WPA working you probably schould try something like this:
Code:

ifconfig ra0 up
iwconfig ra0 channel 0
iwpriv ra0 set SSID=Gallien
iwpriv ra0 set NetworkType=Infra
iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK=passphrase
dhcpcd ra0

Use man iwconfig to get the details.

Q: Which video card to buy for amd64?
A: Nvidia: works great for most of us 32bit/64bit with full 3D.
Ati : Here is also a little howto for it

Q: What about Motherboard recommendations?
A DFI Lan Party causes problems also here for some people. Here is a thread with reccomendations on pci-express motherboards. Most resent thread on this topic. Old one.sis 939 thread.

Q: What about Memory?
A: Note, that athlon64 is quite picky about it's memory because of the onboard memory controller. The only way to fix problems with memory is a bios update or to lower the timings in bios. Check this thread.

Q: What Notebooks?
A: General , also this , Acer Aspire and it's thread , Compaq 3000 and it's (wiki).

Q: Problems with Acer Aspire 1501/1511LMI
A: Here is a large thread about it.
Some experieces with it.

Last edited by crazycat on Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:39 am; edited 82 times in total
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck by request.
gebner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: FAQ Reply with quote

crazycat wrote:
I usually edit ebuild of this software in /usr/portage/......ebuild and add there amd64 to the KEYWORDS. It may not always work but often does. Example: nano /usr/portage/x11-libs/wxGTK/wxGTK-2.5.1-r1.ebuild

You can also use ekeyword from the gentoolkit-dev package:

Code:
ekeyword \~amd64 /usr/portage/x11-libs/wxGTK/wxGTK-2.5.1-r1.ebuild

Or if you are using stable:

Code:
ekeyword amd64 /usr/portage/x11-libs/wxGTK/wxGTK-2.5.1-r1.ebuild

crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks , I updated the faq.
Shigure
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to change the example 64-Bit CFLAGS section to say: CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" until GCC 3.4 gets unmasked, lest we get more posts like this. :D
Tsonn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-march=k8 works with whatever GCC you should want to use...
Tsonn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, an FAQ I've noticed:

A: It's not actually emulation; 32-bit binaries are executed natively. They won't be as fast as optimised 64-bit binaries, but they will be as fast as you'd expect from a modern processor.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

26199 wrote:
Hmm, an FAQ I've noticed:

A: It's not actually emulation; 32-bit binaries are executed natively. They won't be as fast as optimised 64-bit binaries, but they will be as fast as you'd expect from a modern processor.

If you run in 64-bit mode (64-bit O.S.), it'll run emulated, so it won't run at native speeds. If you run it in 32-bit mode, then it will. (That's in the white papers of AMD for x86-64)
Tsonn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems somewhat doubtful to me, Deathwing, although I suppose it depends on your definition of 'emulated'... it certainly isn't running a little program which takes 32-bit instructions one at a time and interprets them, which would be the normal meaning.

I'm running gentoo with a 64-bit kernel, and some apps get better performance when compiled 32-bit. For example, mplayer. I know these are optimised for x86, but if my system was only emulating an x86 system then it would be slower regardless.

I don't have a full 32-bit install to test on, so perhaps someone could verify this... how does 32-bit performance under a 64-bit kernel compare to 32-bit performance under a 32-bit kernel?
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

26199 wrote:
That seems somewhat doubtful to me, Deathwing, although I suppose it depends on your definition of 'emulated'... it certainly isn't running a little program which takes 32-bit instructions one at a time and interprets them, which would be the normal meaning.

I'm running gentoo with a 64-bit kernel, and some apps get better performance when compiled 32-bit. For example, mplayer. I know these are optimised for x86, but if my system was only emulating an x86 system then it would be slower regardless.

I don't have a full 32-bit install to test on, so perhaps someone could verify this... how does 32-bit performance under a 64-bit kernel compare to 32-bit performance under a 32-bit kernel?

It's not an emulation, forgive my words, technically it's a set of 3 bits that define the state of the processor. It is supposed to run slower a 32-bit application when having the core in 64 bits than running it directly in 32 bit mode. Let me a reference to the white paper: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/x86-64_wp.pdf

Quote:

64-Bit OS (LMA) 64-Bit App (CSD L Bit) Data Size (CSD D Bit) CPU Mode
0 X 0 Standard 16-Bit Mode
0 X 1 Standard 32-Bit Mode
1 0 0 Compatibility 16-Bit Mode
1 0 1 Compatibility 32-Bit Mode
1 1 0 64-bit Mode
1 1 1 Reserved

If you are running the a 64-bit operating system, the CPU flags go 110. If you run a 32 bit app in a 64-bit os, it'll use the compatibility 32 bit mode for that application, that is 101. There are minor issues with that, you might not notice a problem with that application at all, but as the paper states, CPU effectivity decreases when running concurrently 64-bit and 32-bit apps.

Quote:

Compatibility Mode
Compatibility mode allows operating systems to implement binary compatibility with existing
16-bit and 32-bit x86 applications. It allows these applications to run, without recompilation,
under a 64-bit operating system in long mode. In compatibility mode, applications can only access the first 4GBytes of virtual-address space. Standard x86 instruction prefixes toggle
between 16-bit and 32-bit address and operand sizes.
As with 64-bit mode, compatibility mode is enabled by the operating system on an individual
code-segment basis. Unlike 64-bit mode, however, x86 segmentation functions normally, using
16-bit or 32-bit protected-mode semantics. From the application’s viewpoint, compatibility mode
looks like a legacy x86 protected-mode environment. From the operating system’s viewpoint,
address translation, interrupt and exception handling, and system data structures use the 64-bit
long mode mechanisms.
Legacy Mode
When LMA=0, the processor is said to be running in legacy mode. None of the 64-bit features
are available and the processor operates as a standard x86 processor. Legacy mode is completely
compatible with existing 32-bit implementations of the x86 architecture. This includes support
for current technologies like segmented memory, and 32-bit GPRs and instruction pointer.
Tsonn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks. I couldn't find any relevant information when I searched.

So -- can someone with a dual-boot 64/32-bit system give us some actual real-world figures?
g0su
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazycat thx for your time and for your help. Good faq! ;)

More:

cdrdao have a depend for gnome, but this depen are soo old and broken with amd64. For install u can do that: USE=-gnome emerge cdrdao

firefox problems with flash and 2.6.8rc4, u can use other kernel and use firefox-bin with flag --nodeps.

Rendering kernel 2.6.8 rc4 gentoo sources don't have support for rendering.

auf Wiedersehen
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated gcc flags, question about emulation and memory recomendation. g0su, can u explain it more detailed about firefox (i assume firefox bin) and what do u mean with "rendering"? dri? I am writing from work from a win machine so i can't check cdrdao. Are u sure it always need gnome or only when one has gnome installed? Also some people say nvdia's agp works with amd64, but it never did to me. I will check it out and post if i succeed.
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated Cool and Quiet, nx, em64t and other stuff. Please add how to use cpudyn and that other frequency scaling service.
g0su
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

CDRdao:
The problem with cdrdao is solved now with new sync.

Nvidia rendering:

For AGP enabled and render with nvidia:

Kernel:
Code:
 [*] IOMMU support

xorg o xfree:
Code:
Option      "NvAGP" "2"

Use the "USE" opengl for rendering:
Code:
# cat /etc/make.conf
USE="... opengl"
#

Librery libsdl with USE flag "dga"
Code:
# USE="dga" emerge libdsdl

Drivers:
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx nvidia-settings

Code:
DarkTemplar sys $ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver:          AGPGART
AGP Rate:        8x
Fast Writes:     Disabled
SBA:             Enabled
DarkTemplar sys $ glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes
DarkTemplar sys $ moxilo@DarkTemplar moxilo $ glxgears
10001 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2000.200 FPS
12227 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2445.400 FPS
12196 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2439.200 FPS

Cool'n'Quiet:

I can't use it.

Code:

[*]   Software Suspend (EXPERIMENTAL
[*] CPU Frequency scaling

Code:
# dmesg
powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron processors (version 1.00.09b)
powernow-k8:    0 : fid 0xe (2200 MHz), vid 0x2 (1500 mV)
powernow-k8:    1 : fid 0xc (2000 MHz), vid 0x6 (1400 mV)
powernow-k8:    2 : fid 0x2 (1000 MHz), vid 0x12 (1100 mV)
powernow-k8: cpu_init done, current fid 0xe, vid 0x2
#

Code:
# ls /proc/sys
abi     debug   dev     fs      kernel  net     proc    vm
# echo 800000 > /proc/sys/cpu0/speed
-bash: /proc/sys/cpu0/speed: No such file or directory
#

Bye and thx for your help.
brodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g0su wrote:

Cool'n'Quiet:

I can't use it.

Code:

[*]   Software Suspend (EXPERIMENTAL

Code:
# dmesg
powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron processors (version 1.00.09b)
powernow-k8:    0 : fid 0xe (2200 MHz), vid 0x2 (1500 mV)
powernow-k8:    1 : fid 0xc (2000 MHz), vid 0x6 (1400 mV)
powernow-k8:    2 : fid 0x2 (1000 MHz), vid 0x12 (1100 mV)
powernow-k8: cpu_init done, current fid 0xe, vid 0x2
#

Code:
# ls /proc/sys
abi     debug   dev     fs      kernel  net     proc    vm
# echo 800000 > /proc/sys/cpu0/speed
-bash: /proc/sys/cpu0/speed: No such file or directory
#

Bye and thx for your help.

Probably you haven't enabled the legacy, deprecated and old /proc/sys/ cpufreq interface. use /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq for determining current speed instead, and
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed to set a specific frequency if using the userspace governor
brodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: FAQ Reply with quote

crazycat wrote:

You should also enable different governors here. I use "userspace" to change speed with "echo <speed in herz>
While we're crazy, we're not that crazy. It's kHz, not Hz

crazycat wrote:
> /proc/sys/cpu/0/speed"

Better use the non-deprecated interface in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed [only available for userspace governor, of course]

crazycat wrote:
and read speed with cat /proc/sys/cpu/0/speed.

Better use /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq or cpuinfo_cur_freq. The latter is only available to root and reads the frequency settings from hardware registers.
Tsonn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest way to get speed scaling to work is to emerge cpudynd. You should probably read through /etc/conf.d/cpudyn but the default settings will be fine. Then do 'rc-update add cpudyn default'.

You'll need the kernel options mentioned by brodo.
g0su
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

26199 I love U! :P Thx!!!

Kernel

Code:
Default CPUFreq governor (userspace)  --->
<*>   'performance' governor
<*>   'powersave' governor
---   CPUFreq processor drivers

Cpudyn

Code:
# emerge cpudyn
# vim /etc/conf.d/cpudyn
INTERVAL=1
CPU_UP=0.5
CPU_DOWN=0.9
THROTTLING_LOW=7
CPUFREQ_25="/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq /sysfs/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq"
CPUFREQ_ACPI="/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling"
# rc-pdate add cpudyn default

Using:

Code:
# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep cpu\ MHz
cpu MHz         : 1021.565
# emerge xmms
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep cpu\ MHz
cpu MHz         : 2247.444

Bye!(solved :P)
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: FAQ Reply with quote

brodo wrote:
crazycat wrote:

You should also enable different governors here. I use "userspace" to change speed with "echo <speed in herz>
While we're crazy, we're not that crazy. It's kHz, not Hz

crazycat wrote:
> /proc/sys/cpu/0/speed"

Better use the non-deprecated interface in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed [only available for userspace governor, of course]

crazycat wrote:
and read speed with cat /proc/sys/cpu/0/speed.

Better use /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq or cpuinfo_cur_freq. The latter is only available to root and reads the frequency settings from hardware registers.

That whole thing is crazy. u have to type half an hour just to change the speed, i always mess up theese zeros when i type echo 2000000 . I updated it in the faq. If u use my method u just can tab 3 last words in the path :D
jhuebel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't notice if anyone mentioned this already, but ATI mentioned AMD64 support coming soon, again...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18664
brodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: FAQ Reply with quote

crazycat wrote:

That whole thing is crazy. u have to type half an hour just to change the speed, i always mess up theese zeros when i type echo 2000000 . I updated it in the faq. If u use my method u just can tab 3 last words in the path :D

a) Linus preferred it that way, and its technically cleaner. Under normal circumstances, you want to use the "ondemand" cpufreq governor anyways.

b) just use a good userspace tool... or if that doesn't work, write a script/tool...
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added 32bit compilation question. Someone something to add?
AnXa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could add that using grub-static is not nesseary if you have compiled grub with multilib support. then you can use normal grub. ;)
Cypr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: Compiling gcc fails with "error: cannot run C compiled programs."
A: Try:
Code:
FEATURES="-sandbox" emerge gcc
emerge portage

http://dev.gentoo.org/~lv/gcc-4.0.0_alpha20041024.ebuild wrote:
# if sandbox is enabled, and multilib is enabled, but we dont have a 32bit
# sandbox... installing gcc will fail as soon as it starts configuring the
# 32bit libstdc++. not fun.
if use amd64 && use multilib && hasq sandbox $FEATURES && [ ! -e /lib32/libsandbox.so ] ; then
eerror "You need a 32bit sandbox to install 32bit code with sandbox"
eerror "enabled. Either add FEATURES=-sandbox or disable multilib."
eerror "After installing a multilib gcc, you can re-emerge portage"
eerror "to get a 32bit sandbox, and this problem will go away."
ebeep
die "no 32bit sandbox"
fi

(Maybe this is a frequently enough asked question... Hope I'm not posting this too many places...)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: