[FAQF] KC3: Networking
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: [FAQF] KC3: Networking Reply with quote

This is the feedback thread for KC3: Networking.

We may need two sections for this answer. Personally, I believe primary network controllers should always be included in the kernel, not compiled as a module, especially when using a network-intensive distro like Gentoo. I understand that there are other opinions, so maybe it's best to have parallel tracks describing how to do it either way, and maybe a link to the question about "what should be a module".
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it should be better include other network options, like the Gigabit ethernets and PCMCIA cards (maybe a thread for PCMCIA cards only).
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: I made one! Reply with quote

I made a very explicit thread for pcmcia cards.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: I made one! Reply with quote

Yes, I think I saw your thread before, but I didn't remember my previous post in this thread. Now if you send me a pcmcia nic, I'll test it :)

charlieg wrote:
I made a very explicit thread for pcmcia cards.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Hehe Reply with quote

Why would you need me to send you one? If you've been well behaved this year, why not ask Santa for one? If you've not been well behaved... well... who am I to disagree with Santa.

8)

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue is highly common, and has more often than not sent people away from Gentoo. I think my post at the tail end of it addresses one major fix that few people seem to remember. Can the info be added to the FAQ?

[edit]
Would a sticky in Networking and Security pointing toward the updated FAQ be feasible?
r0cket-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest expanding the FAQ a bit to include, for instance, information on determining what kind of card you have ('cat /proc/pci' or booting up off the install media, for example), as well as troubleshooting issues subsequent to driver compilation (i.e. interface not getting configured, issues with domain name resolution, the already-mentioned APIC/ACPI problems, etc).
mikeSGman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

After weeks and weeks of attempting to port a Linux gentoo distro for my A500a class HP server, and get it working to contribute the already PA-RISC gentoo effort, I resorted to attempting a stage 3 install on my pc. (i686). All went well, and so far so good, except the NOTORIOUS NETWORK FAILURE AFTER REBOOT (When in DHCP mode)

So, I decided to use the genkernel to get it all up and working since each attempt to compile my own kernel failed miserably.

Once the system was up and stable, I found out that I couldn’t ping. (Manual network configuration returned the “ok” value at bootup…weird.) when I set /etc/conf.d/net for DHCP, still didn’t work, and then errored at bootup.

Genkernel has the entire network stuff in there doesn’t it, and besides udev, and coldplug would find the rest, right??

Weird, default routes, /etc/hosts, and etc are fine.

I am a Solaris, and CISCO guy, and teach the stuff all day long, so I am by no means an expert with Gentoo, but I am not ignorant to the ways of a *NIX system.

Recently, I have decided to come back to the light, and re-learn Linux. I am an original Linux guy who remembers downloading source disks (literally disks…) from bulletin board systems, and installing the base that way. Long before it became a fad to do this stuff.

Problem is, everything has changed.

Two questions,

1. If I used genkernel, and have coldplug chasing whatever the uDev couldn’t find, AND my ifconfig –a shows a valid Ethernet address, netmask, and the default route points to my linksys router (which is 192.168.1.1), AND /etc/resolv.conf has all the correct nameserver info, why can’t I ping ANYTHING??? Even my internal network isn’t functional; albeit ifconfig-a says it is good.

netstat –rn returns all the correct paths, and normal values.

2. Any ideas??

From one wannabe guru to the rest of the masses,

MikeSGman
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*we should make some script that check if all the steps have been done(mebe when i'll have time and learned pearl and advanced bach i could try(to make similar things for the handbook,not this particular case...but that could be interesting..,)...but that's not for now...)

*why not a more advanced howto...(all kernel networking options and the incidence of others options on networking(for example security options ))
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: