Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 65, 66, 67  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lews_Therin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taviso, I just found that you somehow got rounded windows in FVWM.

How? Good god man, how? I can't get it to work with shape masks, transparent .pngs, or anything 8O
gulivert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lews_Therin wrote:
Taviso, I just found that you somehow got rounded windows in FVWM.

How? Good god man, how? I can't get it to work with shape masks, transparent .pngs, or anything 8O

Gdesklets ???
yuza
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kandian's Transset module has inspired me to write my first Fvwm module (and first perl script too!). It's called FvwmTransFocus and it renders a window transparent when it loses focus, and then disable transparence when the window gets the focus back. In this way the only non transparent window is the one holding the focus. As I said some things are based on Kandian's work... here's the module:
Code:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use lib `fvwm-perllib dir`;
use FVWM::Module;
chdir;
my $ConfigFile = ".fvwm/trans_focus.exclude";

my $module = new FVWM::Module(
   Mask => M_FOCUS_CHANGE | M_ADD_WINDOW,
);

$module->addHandler(M_FOCUS_CHANGE, \&FocusWindow);
$module->addHandler(M_ADD_WINDOW, \&CollectInfo);
my $prev_win = 0;

open(CONFIG, $ConfigFile) || die ("Could not open file");
@exclude_file = <CONFIG>;
close(CONFIG);

sub FocusWindow
{
   my ($module, $event) = @_;
   my $id = 0;
   my $found = 0;
   if($prev_win)
   {
      foreach $id (@EXCLUDE_ID)
      {
         if($id == $prev_win)
         {
            $found = 1;
            last;
         }
      }
      if(!$found)
      {
         my $ex = "transset " . " .8 " . " -id " . $prev_win;
         system($ex);
      }
   }
   $prev_win = $event->_win_id;
   my $ex = "transset " . " 1.0 " . " -id " . $prev_win;
   system($ex);
   $found = 0;
}

sub CollectInfo
{
    my ($module, $event) = @_;
    my $win_id = $event->_win_id;
    my $line;
    foreach $line (@exclude_file)
    {
       chomp($line);
      my @tokens = split(/:/, $line);
      my $test = "xprop -id " . $win_id . " | grep " . $tokens[0];
             my $result = `$test`;
             if($result =~ m/$tokens[1]/)
      {
         push(@EXCLUDE_ID, $win_id);
         return;
      }
    }
}

$module->eventLoop;

The module uses a configuration file ~/.fvwm/trans_focus.exclude. You can use this file to specify windows which you don't want to become transparent, even when they lose focus. This is mainly useful for stuff like gdesklets and similar. The format is very similar to kandian's configuartion file

Code:

WM_NAME:gDesklets

every line specifies a window, the values are those returned by xprop.
To use the module simply create ~/.fvwm/trans_focus.exclude, copy the module file
in /usr/lib/fvwm/version/ and add

Code:

+ I Module FvwmTransFocus

to your init function...

hope you enjoy!
Jefklak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unne wrote:
If you want to bind ALT+up/down/left/right to "go one page up", "go one page down", etc., then you can do this:

Code:
DestroyFunc ScrollLeft
AddToFunc ScrollLeft
+ I PipeRead "$[FVWM_USERDIR]/scroll_page.pl $[page.nx] $[page.ny] `perl -e 'print $[page.nx] - 1'` $[page.ny]"

That function will take you one page to the left, no matter what page you're on. $[page.nx] is the x-coordinate of the current page; just tell the function to scroll to that page minus 1, to go left; and keep the y-coordinate the same, so you don't go up or down. You can figure out the others I'm sure.

Nice unne. Maybe, you can use ScrollPage and let the function accept arguments? Like "ScrollPage -1 0" and use something like

Code:
+ I PipeRead "$[FVWM_USERDIR]/scroll_page.pl $[page.nx] $[page.ny] `perl -e 'print $[page.nx] + $0'` $[page.ny] + $1"

Will that work?
MOD it works for left/right but not up/down i'll play with it some more :)

MOD2: this works -

Code:
+ I PipeRead "${HOME}/.fvwm/scroll_page.pl $[page.nx] $[page.ny] `perl -e 'print $[page.nx] + $0'` `perl -e 'print $[page.ny] + $1'`"

{Linux User #333296}
Kernel 2.6.9-nitro4!
<< hurrah
Jefklak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn.
Unne, did you try your scroll eyecandy with xcompmgr on? (new xorg)
It does not work at all... Very strange.
{Linux User #333296}
Kernel 2.6.9-nitro4!
<< hurrah
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it works better for me with xcompmgr than without, actually. Though I don't have shadows enabled, only the fading effect available from a patch someone around here wrote.
Ruzbeh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok dudes and dudettes, we need this GMail checker for FVWM straight away.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=216604&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

It's python, so is it possible to have this in the menu like OpenBox has? It's totally gotta be possible man!!!
jtorrance
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi!

I found this thread yesterday and now after 66 pages I have a very decent fvwm config. The first wm after Windowmaker that fulfills als my needs. There are just a few Details i haven't figuered out yet:

1. This is an easy one. How can i have certain windows start iconified?

2. I'm using the Crystal theme with this BottomBar. How can I make it show the iconified and thumbnailed tasks?

3. Again the BottomBar. This is rather complicated. When I click on a window in the taskbar i want different things to happen, depending on the state of the window: if it's iconifed, deiconify it on the current page and raise/focus it. if it's not iconified go to the page, where it is located and focus/raise it. if it's on the current page and has the focus, iconify it. i hope this doesn't sound too strange. i think my fspanel behaved similar.

4. The Docklet. At the moment i have the Docklet Swallow an ETerm which shows the stats of my mldonkey client. Unfortuanetly the transparencies of the Docklet and the Eterm don't match. Is there any other possibility to show the output of a shell script on the Docklet?

Oh, and can you recommend an app, that checks my email (pop3 and local) and notifies me of new email via an icon in the Docklet/Try thing?

thanks
kevin
harnir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtorrance wrote:
hi!

1. This is an easy one. How can i have certain windows start iconified?

Style * StartIconic, example: Style XTerm StartIconic

Quote:
2. I'm using the Crystal theme with this BottomBar. How can I make it show the iconified and thumbnailed tasks?

Wow, my config ;) Open ~/.fvwm/panels/BottomBar, search for 'ShowOnlyIcons' and change it's value from 'False' to 'Always' AFAIR. Check in man FvwmIconMan for details.

Quote:
3. Again the BottomBar. This is rather complicated. When I click on a window in the taskbar i want different things to happen, depending on the state of the window: if it's iconifed, deiconify it on the current page and raise/focus it. if it's not iconified go to the page, where it is located and focus/raise it. if it's on the current page and has the focus, iconify it. i hope this doesn't sound too strange. i think my fspanel behaved similar.

I don't know how to do that right now, and I don't have time to check :/ Look in man FvwmIconMan, Actions.

Quote:
4. The Docklet. At the moment i have the Docklet Swallow an ETerm which shows the stats of my mldonkey client. Unfortuanetly the transparencies of the Docklet and the Eterm don't match. Is there any other possibility to show the output of a shell script on the Docklet?

No. Try root-tail, maybe it will suit your needs.

Quote:
Oh, and can you recommend an app, that checks my email (pop3 and local) and notifies me of new email via an icon in the Docklet/Try thing?

Try xLassie, it's supported in Crystal's Docklet.

Quote:
thanks
kevin

No problem :) Check http://fvwm-crystal.linux.net.pl for new version or wait about a week, because I will put another one near that time.
Freejack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To thumbnail a iconifed window is a GREAT idea, IMHO its the future of the taskbar. But I have two problems with it:

1. How do you managed to get this thumbnails transparent? I've searched different .fvwm2rcs, but could not find a difference.

2. The window icon in the upper left edge of the window isn't always drawn over the thumbnail, just sometimes. I don't know whats the reason.

-Freejack (now a big FVWM fan)
harnir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freejack wrote:
To thumbnail a iconifed window is a GREAT idea, IMHO its the future of the taskbar.

I must agree. I imagine this feature as "blending" thumbnailed window into the wallpaper, so you cannot move it or accidentally open it. I use doubleclick to bring it back.
Quote:
But I have two problems with it:

1. How do you managed to get this thumbnails transparent? I've searched different .fvwm2rcs, but could not find a difference.

I use this function to make thumbnail (sorry for the plain look, I wanted to mark interesting part, and using code it doesn't work :/):

DestroyFunc CreateThumbnail
AddToFunc CreateThumbnail
+ I Raise
+ I Piperead "xwd -silent -id $[w.id] > $[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].xwd"
+ I Iconify
+ I Exec nice -19 convert -$[ThumbQuality] $[ThumbWidth]x$[ThumbHeight] -frame 1x1 \
-mattecolor $[ThumbBorderColor] -quality 0 \
xwd:$[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].xwd png:$[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png; \
rm $[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].xwd; test -f $[ThumbIconDirectory]/$[w.miniiconfile] && composite -geometry +5+5 \
$[ThumbIconDirectory]/$[w.miniiconfile] $[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png $[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png; \
FvwmCommand 'WindowId $[w.id] WindowStyle NeverFocus, WindowListSkip, FixedPosition, Colorset $[cs-quakeconsole], HilightColorset $[cs-quakec
onsole]
, EWMHMiniIconOverride, IconOverride, Icon $[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png, MiniIcon $[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png'
; \
FvwmCommand 'WindowId $[w.id] Layer 0 2'

Look at the bold/underline part :) $[cs-quakeconsole] is the number of the colorset I use.

Quote:
2. The window icon in the upper left edge of the window isn't always drawn over the thumbnail, just sometimes. I don't know whats the reason.

I have these icons in separate directory 'bigicons', if there is no corresponding icon there, it's not drawn.
Freejack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. So this eyecandy is only based on a transparent colorset? DOH! Sometime its just to easy ;-) What excatly look your colorset like?

2. I thought FVWM used the same icon but only scaled. I use the "Style Gimp EWMHMiniIconOverride Icon Path/to/My/Gimp/Icon.png method. Is there anyway I can let FVWM use the same icon for laying on thumbnails and windowtitles?

-Freejack
harnir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freejack wrote:
1. So this eyecandy is only based on a transparent colorset? DOH! Sometime its just to easy ;-) What excatly look your colorset like?

For icon transparency? IconAlpha procentage :)
All colorsets that I use? Well, I'm using transparency in my themes, and because more colorsets means longer time to redraw them when wallpaper is set/changed, my colorset number is limited. That's why I use colorsets usually more than once:
0 - for transparency of the thumbnails and for the border of QuakeConsole, a terminal similar to those in Quake-like games
1 - for inactive panels (FvwmButtons, FvwmIconMan, FvwmPager)
2 - for active elements of the panels (page indicator of FvwmPager, focused button in FvwmIconMan)
3 - for inactive window representations in FvwmPager and FvwmIconMan
4 - for active window representations in FvwmPager and FvwmIconMan
5 - for border of the panels (why? because that way you can make non-transparent colorsets and have different colors for border and background)
6 - for inactive menu elements
7 - ofr active menu elements.

Other colorsets can be used in window decorations (I have a mechanism to stiwtch them on the fly). All colorsets are registered as SetEnv variables, so you can easily alter teir numbers and add more if you want.

Quote:
2. I thought FVWM used the same icon but only scaled. I use the "Style Gimp EWMHMiniIconOverride Icon Path/to/My/Gimp/Icon.png method. Is there anyway I can let FVWM use the same icon for laying on thumbnails and windowtitles?

You can, just change the $[ThumbIconDirectory] (if you use Crystal) or look how I did this (sorry for a mess, I want to bold something):

DestroyFunc CreateThumbnail
AddToFunc CreateThumbnail
+ I Raise
+ I Piperead "xwd -silent -id $[w.id] > $[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].xwd"
+ I Iconify
+ I Exec nice -19 convert -$[ThumbQuality] $[ThumbWidth]x$[ThumbHeight] -frame 1x1 \
-mattecolor $[ThumbBorderColor] -quality 0 \
xwd:$[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].xwd png:$[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png; \
rm $[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].xwd; test -f $[ThumbIconDirectory]/$[w.miniiconfile] && composite -geometry +5+5 \
$[ThumbIconDirectory]/$[w.miniiconfile] $[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png $[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png;
\
FvwmCommand 'WindowId $[w.id] WindowStyle NeverFocus, WindowListSkip, FixedPosition, Colorset $[cs-quakeconsole], HilightColorset $[cs-quakec
onsole], EWMHMiniIconOverride, IconOverride, Icon $[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png, MiniIcon $[ThumbDirectory]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png'; \
FvwmCommand 'WindowId $[w.id] Layer 0 2'
Jefklak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unne wrote:
I think it works better for me with xcompmgr than without, actually. Though I don't have shadows enabled, only the fading effect available from a patch someone around here wrote.

What the...?
I tried with all different arguments (xcompmgr) / with or no shadow, but the effect doesn't get applied at all with xcompmgr running... I even have to wait about 0.5seconds before fvwm acutally switches to the other page. (the for loop in your perl script, I think - but no graphical eyecandy this time... :()
Any idea?
{Linux User #333296}
Kernel 2.6.9-nitro4!
<< hurrah
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulivert wrote:
Jefklak wrote:
Rainmaker wrote:
Maybe a bit offtopic, but are there any extra things we can do with xorg 6.8? Or doesn't the X server give extra possibilities to use by the WM?

Check the wallpaper september thread @ gentoo chat - page 5 or so (guilverts entry).

Thanks ..... - page 9 :wink: or look this video

Beh, oui, ça m'a plu. Nickel.

A bit too fast to follow but I like the idea. 8)
mikecore
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Ok i'm on my way Reply with quote

I have Fvwm working and my menu's like i want them But i have some questions

1) how do I change my Fonts? I read the man page it said I could use the X11 standard to ident the font I want but It was unable to load a font I know is there.

Code "MenuStyle * Font -URW-Gothic-L-12-*

2) I'm using gkrellm2 monitor and I have it setup in my .fvwm2rc file to start auto when fvwm starts

Code "AddToFunc InitFunction
+ I Exec exec gkrellm2 "

It starts fine but I would like it to say on all my destop pages

3) I'm trying to use nautilus file manager and when I try it works but instead of refreshing the view when i open a Dir it opens a new window and then shows that dir how can I get it to just refresh the view in the orginal window?
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefklak wrote:
Unne wrote:

What the...?
I tried with all different arguments (xcompmgr) / with or no shadow, but the effect doesn't get applied at all with xcompmgr running... I even have to wait about 0.5seconds before fvwm acutally switches to the other page. (the for loop in your perl script, I think - but no graphical eyecandy this time... :()
Any idea?

Could it be your video card / CPU are too slow to render the animation? I have an Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440, and a P4 2600. Did you put Option "RenderAccel" "true" in your xorg.conf? Everything dealing with xcompmgr abstolutely crawls unless I use that option. Even with my current setup, sometimes the animation is fairly choppy / slow, for example if I'm zooming to a desktop with a full-sized transparent urxvt window. But for the most part things work pretty smoothly.

mikecore wrote:
1) how do I change my Fonts? I read the man page it said I could use the X11 standard to ident the font I want but It was unable to load a font I know is there.

There's a huge section on fonts in the man page for fvwm. I don't mess with that ugly old X-style font specification. If you have xft support you can use nice things like

Code:
DefaultFont "Shadow=1 se:xft:Bitstream Vera Sans:Bold:size=11"

Quote:
It starts fine but I would like it to say on all my destop pages

Something like this:

Code:
Style *gkrellm* Sticky

Quote:
3) I'm trying to use nautilus file manager and when I try it works but instead of refreshing the view when i open a Dir it opens a new window and then shows that dir how can I get it to just refresh the view in the orginal window?

That's a new "feature" in Gnome. You want to start Nautilus like this:

Code:
nautilus --no-desktop --browser

Or edit a key in gconf-editor to make it always use browser mode. I think ROX-Filer is better though.
mikecore
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks that works great Reply with quote

Thanks the gkrellm2 code worked great and so did to --browser for natilus
I will try the ROX filer as for the font I will get xft font support and try what you said
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: beep-media-player and fvwm Reply with quote

I've got this strange problem with using beep-media-player and fvwm. And it only happens with fvwm so I am not sure how to fix it or what the problem is.

when I have beep-media-player open, it seems to move very slowly when you try to place the windows somewhere else. The player doesn't crash or anything but the lag when dragging this particular app is annoying.

Any ideas as to what would be the cause?

By the way! you guys have really kept this thread smokin!
mikecore
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: ROX-filer Reply with quote

ok I been looking into rox filer I couldn't find it in portage does anybody have a e-build for it?

or should i just download it ?
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: ROX-filer Reply with quote

mikecore wrote:
ok I been looking into rox filer I couldn't find it in portage does anybody have a e-build for it?

or should i just download it ?

Code:
emerge rox

mikecore
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foreget it i found it
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jefklak

I suggest you look at your whole gfx setup. Try glxgears to test your frame rate and if necessary set up DRI etc.

I dont think this is a FVWM issue unless you have games that run fine but the WM crawls.

Before I set up my gfx I had a frame rate of about 15 fps , now its 3800 !

You get the picture.

HTH 8)
Jefklak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks for the suggestions, I get the picture -
but I installed ut2004 previous week and the game runs smooth as hell 8)
AGP is enabled, nothing is wrong, glxgears works correctly & renderaccel is on.

Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz
Geforce MX 5200 Go (mobile)
So I don't think its my "slow" hardware :P
{Linux User #333296}
Kernel 2.6.9-nitro4!
<< hurrah
Ruzbeh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I've been going through the manual and found some helpful things, though I still don't know how to change the title bar and everything, I just want the GTK2 apps to take over the title bar and style and everything, you know? Anyone?

Exci wrote:

http://www.zensites.net/fvwm/guide

I couldnt resolve it a second ago, but it's the one that was posted in this thread.

Ish kap00t!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 66 of 67

Jump to: