Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What Set-up do you recomend for a new user?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradcarter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:30 am    Post subject: What Set-up do you recomend for a new user? Reply with quote

I spend a lot of time talking to pretty much anyone who mentions they have a computer to give linux a go. Normally I get nowhere, and basically I have gotten used to this, so when tonight a guy says "hey that sounds cool I would like to try that" I was really surprised. Any sort of recommendations would be great. I dont have a lot of knowledge of what he has for hardware as he doesnt have a lot of knowledge himself. All I could get is it was state of the art in 1996, a P166 with amount of RAM unknown. I am guessing 32MB RAM.

I recommended mandrake, and said I would come by install it and give him a lesson (probably dooming myself to unlimited tech support) I figure mandrake is good graphical install, pretty easy to use, he is coming from a win98 background so I think he will be comfortable. I considered gentoo but with his computer it would take a considerable amount of time to install.

What Window manager would you recomend? I was thinking fluxbox, though I was not sure if it would be attractive to him coming from win98, I mean attractive and ease of use.

Load me with any suggestions please!
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandrake will run slow as ass. Mandrake appears to the n00b as shitty, bootleg windows replacement. I'd set up win 2k on the shit box as a backup and set up his main sys for a dual boot.* Use gentoo. Since he's new put flux kde and gnome on there, show him how to chose between them and let him chose. Don't try to hide the CLI and config files form him. that never works. Make sure to explain to him everything you do. Show him the forums.

*This will get him used to thinking linux runs better than windows. :)
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont put kde on there. maybe kde 1.x but not any of the newer kde's. they wont run at all on a p133. fvwm95 and flux. maybe even windowmaker or afterstep. but dont put kde on there unless you feel like waiting for 5 days to compile it. plus, when it finally finishes it wouldn't even work.

i agree with the idea of not using mandrake though. definitely a bad idea. if you want to try a quick solution use redhat 6.2. it has kde1.x on it as well. it's not *too* bloated and it's easy enough for you to setup.

all in all though, go with gentoo. you and him will have a much easier time. and definitely dont hide the config files from him.

wink2 would also be incredibly slow. i ran it on a p233 and i disabled a lot of system services. i managed to get about par performance out of it if i was only wanting to surf the web and send email. on a 133 it'd be too slow. mayhaps NT4? NT4 would be right at home. 95 is too buggy. maybe 98 with the 98lite software ;)

if you dont want to wait for all the compiling, you could try slack ;) i ran slack on a p75 without a hitch! managed to get twm going to. when i played an mp3 in mpg123 it took 33% of my processes :mrgreen:

fun stuff! best of luck, let us know how it turns out!

ryan
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:

wink2 would also be incredibly slow. i ran it on a p233 and i disabled a lot of system services. i managed to get about par performance out of it if i was only wanting to surf the web and send email. on a 133 it'd be too slow. mayhaps NT4? NT4 would be right at home. 95 is too buggy. maybe 98 with the 98lite software ;)

No we want the windows box to be ass slow. mkes him more likely to use linux more and get used to it and finally end up using it as his main os.
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not fair to sabotage an OS ;)

you can't put a version of windows meant for faster pcs on a shitt computer. if you're wanting to prove to someone that linux is better, fight fair. don't be an ass ;)

for example, if i wanted to prove to him that windows was better, i'd install a nice streamlined install of nt4 on that machine or 98lite and put a bloated install of mandrake on there. that's not fighting fair, is it ;)

sure you could say that windows would crash a lot but i can guarantee that the bloated mandrake would crash much more ;)

dont force linux on someone :P

ryan
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Mandrake 8.2 running on a 100MHz pentium with KDE as the DE. Worked fine by as most everything on such a machine, it's rather slow.

32megs of EDORAM... man I think I have more than that lying around as spares. I would regardless of OS get a new computer, now it doesn't have to be fancy, you can. fx get a VIA C3 Mobo+Chip which has everything a desktop user needs and it's cheap, the 933MHz version is running in at 1499DKK (which is about ~200USD) but that has everything you need, LAN, Soundcard, Videocard, even TV-out, all it lacks is RAM, 256megs should do it for a normal desktop user, DDR2100 is what's needed I think which is roughly 550DKK(~75USD)...

And it's passively cooled so no massive noise coolers.... Provides a nice PC for most tasks, and it works great with Linux (so I'm told, I sadly haven't had the $$$ to buy one to play with yet, but it would make a sweet DiVX box I think).

That's a lot of PC for your buck really, in terms of features, and noiseless computer alone is priceless.

For a newbies distro I recommend Lycoris Desktop/LX (www.lycoris.com), which is very Windows like in that it has no compiler and one one app to do one job, which is not very linux like, but it's amazingly cool for former Windows users.....
bradcarter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took so long to get back I am writing exams. Two left then I am free. I used to use mandrake a lot, the main time I found it dog slow was when I installed everything under the sun. But thinking about it would it be possible to do this:

I have an extra Hard drive hanging around, so install gentoo on it with it optimized for his system. Then create an image of that, and burn the image. Finally set up the file systems on his computer then extract the image. In theory (in my mind at least) this should work. I guess size of the image could ruin this plan as I dont know how big it would be. Or even pop the hd into his computer as a slave and copy everything over.

My main concern of installing gentoo and setting it up is time. I dont want to be over at his place for a week, considering I just met him. But I do think he is a very good candidate as he was interested in linux before he knew you could use any sort of gui with it. once he found out you could have a gui, he got a bit more excited, once he found out there is more then one window manager he was starting to smile and when I told him you can actually have more then one on the computer at once and switch between them he was hooked. But during the talk we had he was still interested in playing and learning with the commandline. He mainly wants to learn :)

He has 2 versions of windows no win95 and win98 either of which would be easy enough to dual boot with, though I have not dual booted with either of them, only 2k and xp, I assume it would be easy.

thanks for the tips :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: