emerge/wget can't resolve domain names [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piffy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: emerge/wget can't resolve domain names [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Well, I finally found the time to finish the install of Gentoo. However, I seem to have either done something wrong or there is some kind of problem with the way my firewall is setup.

When I try to emerge anything I am unable to connect to any of the mirrors. I have addd a few to the /etc/make.conf under the GENTOO_MIRRORS variable. I'm not sure, but I think the problem is with wget because every time it tries to connect and download the distfiles it resolves the host to 1.0.0.0, which obviously means it loops forever timing out on each host.

If I do a ping on the hostname, it resolves just fine and I get a response. I can ssh out to servers outside my network.

I haven't been able to find anything related to this in the forums or on the web at large. My firewall (which is really just a 4-port wireless dsl modem) isn't configured as a proxy, so I just have a direct connection to the internet, which is how the other machines on my network are configured.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Ideas? I can't really do anything if I can't emerge any new packages.

Last edited by piffy on Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
piffy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: More information... Reply with quote

I have done some more testing and I have gotten emerge to work, but I have to use IPs instead of domain names in the GENTOO_MIRRORS variable. Does anyone know why wget wouldn't be able to resolve a domain name, but say ping or ssh would?

I am currently running emerge -u world and it appears to be working. After I changed the mirrors to IP addresses it connected without a problem.

Ideas?

TIA

Landon
piffy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: fixed the problem Reply with quote

It looks like there was a problem with my Wireless DSL Gateway not properly resolving some DNS queries. It was the first nameserver entry in my /etc/resolv.conf, but once I moved it out of the way and put both the DNS servers configured on the gateway into my /etc/resolv.conf wget started working like expected.

No problems with Gentoo so far, just finicky hardware it appears.
tpereira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem. Thanks. Funny thing was wget version 1.14 (in another machine) was able to resolve hostnames...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: