View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trogie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: what amd64 motherboard? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm looking for a new system and i was wondering what the best motherboard could be for amd64. I'm looking at 2 boards now:
-asus K8v se deluxe
-msi K8t neo

most important requirements:
-wake-on-lan
-very good power management (does cool'n'quiet work well?)

power management is very important because I mostly operate my systems remotely and I want the system to go really low on power when idle (even go to suspend if possible)
I can wake the system up using my router.

I'm thinking more and more to buy the asus board...

Does anybody has any comments on those boards?

Trogie
trogie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found a thread that compares the asus and msi board.

Think i'll go for the asus

Trogie
Bad_Byte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your not going to oc, I would say FIC K8-800T (socket 754)
Dreq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have the K8V SE delux, its an awsome board in its own right :)
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gigabyte with via k8t800 and would advise to stay away because of memory incompatibilities.
oggialli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not MSI K8N Neo Platinum ? I consider it to be the best in terms of price to performance ratio and that was what made me order it yesterday in the first place. Basically, it has got every feature ever needed for such a low price, like 120 euros here.
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msi's k8t neo had problems with cool and quite support for linux(search this forum for details) because of it's custom chip. Also i dont think 120 Euro is a bargain :D
In germany u can buy nforce3 board for 72 euro: http://www.geizhals.at/deutschland/a64723.html or the one like mine for 52 euro:
http://www.geizhals.at/deutschland/a64747.html
But dont buy gigabyte also or u would probably run into problems with memory.
oggialli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can buy the damn cheap boards with NOTHING, of course but not the best overclocking, IDE and SATA RAID etc thing ;) With nforce3 250gb.
E-Bell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad_Byte wrote:
If your not going to oc, I would say FIC K8-800T (socket 754)

Just a word of caution:

I bought this motherboard a month ago and it had problems with the BIOS such that I couldn't boot it. After much frustration and moving jumpers around, I flashed the BIOS and it's worked great ever since.

See this thread for more information:

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=24&threadid=55315&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oggialli wrote:
Yes, you can buy the damn cheap boards with NOTHING, of course but not the best overclocking, IDE and SATA RAID etc thing ;) With nforce3 250gb.

It's not a good idea to use onboard software raid cause linux does this thing better - so for me an i also think for many others - it is not a reason to buy. The only thing is good compatobility, overclocking and stability. But it doesn't justify the 2x increase in price and the most boards a rather stable anyway. So if i now had a possibility to choose i would go for asus/ chaintech / biostar.
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040112/index.html
And now as i know asus is not as good as it was some years ago (in quality and also in support) iw ould go for something what has the best price/performance.
bmilde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the asus k8v deluxe. its ok, and qfan is working under linux (very quiet fans). But i don't get cool'n'quiet to work (PSB error... something like this). I know someone else with that board who get it running, having that error at first also. I don't know what it is but i'm already happy with qfan.
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use "echo 800000 /proc/cpu/0/speed" to scale my cpu speed to 800Mhz for example. U need to have this interfaces enabled in kernel. I think it's something different from cool and quiet, it should actually modify msr register on cpu regardles of what bios (with or without cool'n quiet) u have. In windows i use cpumsr which not only changes the frequency on the fly but also voltage. So i can go below specs and use 0.95 V and not 1.3 V for 800Mhz witch is stable. I was not able to find any utility which does that in linux and tried to write something like that on linux, but got strange msr values for this msr register witch i should change according to amd64 specs, so i let it be.
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the asus board and its great. Its really a great chose. Also I researched AMD64 and AMD announced that they will be making future chips for Socket 939 and the Asus board supports that. I went with the AMD 3500+ socket 939 and it runs great. This chip has the best bang for the buck. The only difference between this chip and the FX is it runs at 2.2ghz and has 512k cache while the FX runs at 2.4ghz and 1meg cache.
Erdie
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Shuttle Barebone Reply with quote

If you could imagine to buy a barebone, I can recommend my Shuttle SN85G4V2. It is running very stable with cool & quite enabled. Since a certain previous kernel Version (I do not know exactly) I never had a crash even I am intensivly playing around with games and other 3D application. I is really a cool machine.
g0su
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asus for amd? 8O bad idea...

For AMD abit always... KV8pro is thx. 270 fsb with not Vmod in north and not Vmod in memory.

DFI is good fore extreme overclock becouse have a high range of V. But is a little unstable.

The msi platinum with socket 754 have a BIG problem with compatibility with Memory. Oh! the s-ata 1 and the s-ata2 don't protect and dont loock the bus(pci loock)... little problem if u do overclocking. Nforce 3 250 have a lot of problem with compatibility, Nforce4 come soon.

Sorry for my bad english!

Cheers!
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asus is a better choice that abit in this case
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040112/memory_performance-11.html
Alexj76
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...

I have the asus and it work well with gentoo 64...
But i don`t tried the Cool n` Quit feature....

I use 512 MB Kingston Hyper X at 400 DDR and a AMD64 3000+ 754 Socket.

I Used a lots of Ram and Stress Testing and it Runs Stable...
rich0
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: K8V owner Reply with quote

I have an ASUS K8V Deluxe and have had no problems. I use cool-n-quiet, qfan, and am moderately overclocked.

I can't tell you how many emails I've seen on the amd64 list about issues with MSI - maybe they have their pros, and maybe the issues have been worked out. However, I haven't seen any complaints about ASUS. Somebody steered me in that direction on the AMD IRC group as well (they had a nice jpg of an MSI board with some connector in a really awkward place that they had expressive descriptive terms for).

Just a note, however, I am not using the RAID or SATA features of the board. Haven't seen complaints about that, but I can't vouch for it personally. While SATA has more room to grow, everything I've read suggests that it is no better than IDE at current transfer rates, and the IDE drives were $10 cheaper. I figured this also leaves my SATA slots unused in case I ever do want to get a faster drive down the road.
specks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any opionons on the Abit AV8? I'm planning on gettting an Athlon64 with the 939 socket.
malloc
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the MSI K8T-Neo2 (socket 939) board and i must say it's a winner. I've always owned Asus boards and was a little concearned about stepping off my knowing ground but i've found out nothing but good things to say about this board.
Cool'n'Quiet works wonderfully out-of-the-box, wake-on-lan also, the board's component arrangement is great, very spaced and neat.
If you can go for this one.
--> Linux ### 2.6.11-ck2 #1 Sat Mar 12 20:21:30 WET 2005 i686 GNU/Linux <--
Zzoot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

specks:
Quote:
Any opionons on the Abit AV8? I'm planning on gettting an Athlon64 with the 939 socket.

I got one. Plugged a 3500 and a fast nvidia card into it. Works pretty well.

From what I read, the onboard LAN should work, but I had some problems and was impatient, so I just plugged in a spare 3com card. (Yaaaah-Boomerang!)
I also hear the onboard sound isn't well (or at all?) supported, but that wasn't a problem for me, as I had already planned on plugging in an Audigy2. I find that generally onboard sound isn't worth the trouble unless you're entirely unconcerned with sound...

I suppose it could have a couple more SATA plugs (only 2 currently), but I only have the one drive there anyway.

Lots of USB that seems to work fine, Firewire too, but I haven't tested that out yet.

So- Yeah, I like it, but YMMV, so do your homework and see what's available.
gour
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malloc wrote:
I have the MSI K8T-Neo2 (socket 939) board and i must say it's a winner. I've always owned Asus boards and was a little concearned about stepping off my knowing ground but i've found out nothing but good things to say about this board.
Cool'n'Quiet works wonderfully out-of-the-box, wake-on-lan also, the board's component arrangement is great, very spaced and neat.
If you can go for this one.

I'm glad to hear that since I am also thinking about the upgrade to amd64 after resolving the issue between 754 & 939 socket :-)

However, since I'm on a budget, I am thinking about new 90nm 3000/3200 and later to upgrade to dual-core.

How long you have it?

Do you plan to upgrade to Nforce4 & PCIe?

I'm asking since I need a stable platform to serve me at least for 2+ years not being able to upgrade every 6 months :cry:

(now I'm still on Celeron 566 )

Sincerely,
Gour
gour
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: anyone has experience with dfi lp ut nf3 on Gentoo amd64 Reply with quote

I am thinking to eventually settle on s754 with 3200+ and consider dfi lanparty ut nf3 mobo.

Anyone using it under Gentoo amd64?

Sincerely,
Gour
mikepolniak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the DFI nf3 m/b and everything works fine with kernel 2.6.9-rc3 except cool & quiet. That gives a BIOS error-'no PSB', which means a buggy BIOS, so maybe that will work on the next BIOS release.

The fan's run quiet and the cpu temps are low enough, so i am satisfied.
gour
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikepolniak wrote:
I have the DFI nf3 m/b and everything works fine with kernel 2.6.9-rc3 except cool & quiet. That gives a BIOS error-'no PSB', which means a buggy BIOS, so maybe that will work on the next BIOS release.

Which cpu you have?

How much memory are you using?

Quote:
The fan's run quiet and the cpu temps are low enough, so i am satisfied.

Am I right assuming you are not oc-ed?

Do you use stock heatsink?

Sincerely,
Gour
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: