Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
I setup SpamAssassin with evolution, and posted a min-micro-howto in the Documentation, Tips & Tricks forum. You can see it here.

Spamassassin actually came with instruction on how to use it with Kmail, or maybe it was on their web-site, I don't remember. (Gettin' old!)

I'm not running it against any mailserver since I use fetchmail to download all mails from our imap-server and then store them locally. This is currently the only way to use filters against mail from an imap server as there is no support to run filters against imap.

Basically I have set up Spamassassin to be the first filter to run against new mail. It add "*****SPAM*****" to the beginning of the subject line and then I have a second filter that moves all these mails to the Trash can :)

Worlks like a charm and have reduced the number of mails I see tremendously.

Erik
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not with instructions on how to use with Evolution 8)

With Evolution, you can use SpamAssassin even with IMAP servers, because it filters in the client, after downloading the email.

ebrostig wrote:

Spamassassin actually came with instruction on how to use it with Kmail, or maybe it was on their web-site, I don't remember. (Gettin' old!)

I'm not running it against any mailserver since I use fetchmail to download all mails from our imap-server and then store them locally. This is currently the only way to use filters against mail from an imap server as there is no support to run filters against imap.

Basically I have set up Spamassassin to be the first filter to run against new mail. It add "*****SPAM*****" to the beginning of the subject line and then I have a second filter that moves all these mails to the Trash can :)

Erik
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Not with instructions on how to use with Evolution 8)

With Evolution, you can use SpamAssassin even with IMAP servers, because it filters in the client, after downloading the email.

ebrostig wrote:

Erik

Ahh, that's the difference then between evolution and other imap email clients. Other imap clients do not download the message per se, it is displayed from the imap server and filtering is normally not possible.

Good for Evolution!

Erik
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you say, I am not sure.... I am using pop3, not imap. How should this work with imap is a good question.

ebrostig wrote:

Ahh, that's the difference then between evolution and other imap email clients. Other imap clients do not download the message per se, it is displayed from the imap server and filtering is normally not possible.

Good for Evolution!

Erik
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Now that you say, I am not sure.... I am using pop3, not imap. How should this work with imap is a good question.

ebrostig wrote:

Good for Evolution!

Erik

Explains a lot I guess...
POP3 is ok with filtering, but IMAP has always been a problem.

Oh well... maybe tomorrow... :twisted:

Erik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: