View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forceflow2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok. Sorry about that. I'll be able to do lots tomorrow since school was cancelled due to Tropical Storm. And just a little thing, it still says version 0.8 when you bumped it to 0.9
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm pretty rushed, I have to do something with a friend. I will get that right now and the CVS version will be right. I fixed your entries so it should work.
qzec
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice...

Thanks TanNewt :)

Q
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

ideas on turning the fluxbox menu into a kde menu?
forceflow2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or for that matter, any number of different window managers. I think we should indeed take them one at a time though. How does KDE structure its menu and additions to it though? (I haven't used it in quite some time since switching to fluxbox)
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all a matter of how KDE's menu is structured. I intend to expand WM/DEs supported but WMs closer to fluxbox will probably be first. If anyone is ineterested in becoming a developer let me know.
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the ebuild?
forceflow2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did and it worked perfectly.
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, glad to hear. I think it didn't work for me because I had all the things in the same spot already. We'll consider it working then.
forceflow2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there is a way to have a listing of the currently added programs so that I don't inadvertantly submit the same one over and over again. There's probably already something somewhere that shows this, but I just wanted to know.
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already thought of that, if there is a portage id in the database already to wont write it to the database again. For viewing all the current programs in the database, I'll add something to the main page to search the database or something similar. Edit: You can now search the database from the homepage. http://denu.sourceforge.net
forceflow2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice addition. This idea might be more trouble than it is worth but is there someway to have a rundown of how many packages there are in each category that have not been added yet? To help give an idea of where the most work needs to be done instead of all over. I've been trying to knock out the game categories so far. I know that packages that don't need to be in a menu (like many CLI only programs) so I guess there should be some way to filter them out, maybe looking for the -X USE flag. Dunno if that's really possible or anything, just floating ideas.
Also, there wouldn't happen to be a way to check the name of the binary executables installed by an ebuild without actually emerging it is there? That would speed things up considerably if there were. 8)
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding executables seems to be a trick for me also. Something I've tried is look for the 'dobin' line in the ebuild. That should help you out. As far as comparing whats in Denu vs. Portage I'm not sure of an answer. I'll investigate it more but no promises. Currently I'm emerging KDE to see what the possibilties of denu in KDE are. I"m also emerging gnome, openbox and xfce to test out the waters. Forceflow, thanks for the help and like I said earlier if you want to be a developer on sourceforge you can. Thanks.
forceflow2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I can be one, I guess. Can't really promise anything more than spur of the moment ideas/program additions though. Every little bit helps though. :D
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant promise any more than that either because school starts the 8th and I have a website job I'm doing to so I do what I can. I like doing it though and that definately helps.
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an update. Like I said earlier I installed, kde, gnome, enlightenment, openbox and xfce and am looking at adding support for openbox first. Why? Because I want to try out the WM without writing the menu by hand. :-)
mallchin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2 cents Reply with quote

gregcoit wrote:

I own a linux-based gaming center/internet cafe based on gentoo.

Digging up an old thread here but, do you still own it? Where is it at?
calr0x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality in this entire thread is to just buckup and use the debian method which is proven and works. To implement a menu system a la debian is trivial, and I see pride being the biggest obsticle here as gentoo wouldn't be doing it "their way".

Apps like this attempt are nice, but not a good solution as the author has to make it compatible with every WM thats major. Debians system works because it puts the job on the maintainer of the package.

Lacking a menu system is a pretty big negative imo of Gentoo, again, seeing that debian has done the majority of the work already.. maybe there could be some progress in this in some way.

Is there any reason for the resistance to the Debian method?
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I support a method that puts the responsibility on the package builder.
Kelsin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this solution a lot. I don't like it being in the hands of a package developer. With Ubuntu (not debian, I know) there were some packages that I would install that would have their menu item and some that didn't. I would get pretty annoyed when I installed a package and the menu item wasn't there. In this system when this happens, I add it. Quick and simple. Now that I added it, everyone will also be able to see it. This doesn't have to worry about messing with portage at all, and users can completely customize their own menu.

I like it being a two step process. We have a database that can store infor from a packagename -> menu definition. Then you can customize a menu based on how you want it. Then scripts take that and make custom wm-ified versions of it.

In my mind this version of the menuing system is flawless. I can completely customize my menu the way I like it for any wm that I want. Package maintainers don't have to do any work and portage doesn't have to be changed at all. With user's inputing the programs they use to the database, it will stay large and current.

Maybe it is gentoo pride that came up with this, but it feels like most of this system is built off of the same pride. This is along those same lines as "Why compile if you can install binary packages?" I think this system is more complete and near-perfect.

(I was actually getting annoyed at the debian system when i stumbled across the DENU project page, and it gave me that jump I needed to put gentoo back on my laptop/desktop)
mcuddy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Additions to Denu? Reply with quote

I just installed Denu and it worked great! I use icewm and it completely overwrote my menu file... I changed the new menu to genu.menu and copied my backup to menu then added genu.menu as a menufile. this gave me the easy menu generation and let me keep my existing stuff... Is there a way to configure genu to do this automatically, so I can edit the genu menu and not overwrite my existing menu (I also dislike clutter on my primary menu...)

Last edited by mcuddy on Sun May 04, 2008 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calr0x wrote:
The reality in this entire thread is to just buckup and use the debian method which is proven and works. To implement a menu system a la debian is trivial, and I see pride being the biggest obsticle here as gentoo wouldn't be doing it "their way".

Apps like this attempt are nice, but not a good solution as the author has to make it compatible with every WM thats major. Debians system works because it puts the job on the maintainer of the package.

Lacking a menu system is a pretty big negative imo of Gentoo, again, seeing that debian has done the majority of the work already.. maybe there could be some progress in this in some way.

That is a good question that never seems to get answered.

Personally, I think with stable opendesktop standards on menu entries, there is no reason each ebuild can't include instructions for putting in that menu entry. This feature is LONG overdue. People need to be vocal in support for such a thing if it is going to happen.
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: I would like to include this in my package manager. Reply with quote

enderandrew wrote:
calr0x wrote:

That is a good question that never seems to get answered.

Personally, I think with stable opendesktop standards on menu entries, there is no reason each ebuild can't include instructions for putting in that menu entry. This feature is LONG overdue. People need to be vocal in support for such a thing if it is going to happen.

I am creating a new interface for the portato package. In fact, it is to be a complete portage manager the extends far beyond the parameters of the current package. I found this posting by searching here for addpatches. This is the very thing that I'm currently interested in adding to my package: Xneutato. Please come and see the latest post I've made concerning this there: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5082452.html#5082452

Thank you!
Shingoshi
Shingoshi's User Styles for Firefox
http://userstyles.org/users/3665
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: This is the very thing that I suggested be added to portato. Reply with quote

TanNewt wrote:
I already thought of that, if there is a portage id in the database already to wont write it to the database again. For viewing all the current programs in the database, I'll add something to the main page to search the database or something similar. Edit: You can now search the database from the homepage. http://denu.sourceforge.net

It wasn't accepted by the author, so I've set out to create an extended version of portato, called Xneutato. I would like to know how could this be added to (or embedded within) my package manager.

Shingoshi
Shingoshi's User Styles for Firefox
http://userstyles.org/users/3665
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: