dsl connection degrades
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashkar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: dsl connection degrades Reply with quote

i have a gentoo router set up as the adsl gateway for my house. i'm using rp-pppoe to connect to my provider. after a certain amount of time, (6-8 hrs?) i start to see a slowdown in my connection. the only way i know to revive it is to run adsl-stop/adsl-start. i could set up a cron job to do this every so often, but that would be a bit inconvenient since i need to maintain a solid connection.

any ideas?
mark_lagace
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using rp-pppoe for my DSL connection reliably over the past several years - initially under Slackware linux, and now more recently under Gentoo.

I've never noticed any 'slowdown' in my connection no matter how long it stays connected - and it only disconnects when my ISP goes down. I'm not sure what could cause the 'slowdown' you are seeing, but I highly doubt it has to do with rp-pppoe directly.

Is your IP static or assigned by DHCP? If DHCP - could renewing the DHCP lease have any effect? Maybe try setting up your DHCP client to request a short lease time and see if you notice the slowdown after it gets renewed.
mrchuckles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the MTU of the external interface (the one hooked up to your DSL modem) is set to 1492. Gentoo's PPPoE scripts probably do this for you, but it's worth a check. ifconfig will tell you the MTU, and can also be used to set it (ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: