qmail with a dialup ISP?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kezza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:30 am    Post subject: qmail with a dialup ISP? Reply with quote

I'm hoping to get fetchmail + qmail + pine/mutt setup so that I can pretty much emulate in a shell what KMail does under KDE - I want to be able to grab mail from my ISP's POP3 server, and I also want to be able to send email to my ISP's SMTP server with appropriate user + host masquerading.

My machine's hostname is shire and I logon as bilbo (bilbo@shire). Naturally my email address at my ISP is very different; for discussion's sake let's assume my email address is johndoe@isp.com

Fetchmail is setup, polling the POP3 server and passing any mail to qmail.

Qmail is installed and the config run, links setup, svscan started. However I have no idea what it does with the mail it receives from fetchmail. The inbox of pine/mutt remain empty. I'm unsure whether this is due to qmail sending the mail to some unknown folder or whether qmail doesn't know where to put mail addressed to johndoe@isp.com

I can send mail with pine (with user-domain field set appropriately in .pinerc). But all email is send From: bilbo@isp.com

I'm hoping to get all this setup so that I can send all email as johndoe@isp.com and all email send to johndoe@isp.com is delivered to bilbo@shire

I'm appreciate any pointers.
Larde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a couple of pop3 accounts that I still poll with fetchmail and stuff it in my local qmail. I think, your setup in your .fetchmailrc should be similar to:
Code:
poll pop.isp.com with protocol POP3, with options uidl
        user "johndoe@isp.com" there with password "secret" is bilbo@shire here
               with options nokeep mimedecode pass8bits

Well, this is how I use it, and "on my machine it works". ;-)

I have no idea how to set up pine for a different "From:" though.

Larde.
mark_lagace
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: qmail Reply with quote

Quote:
The inbox of pine/mutt remain empty

Are you certain you have a mailbox? Check in bilbo's home directory for a .maildir directory (assuming you've gone with the gentoo defaults). It should be a folder with rwx permissions for bilbo and no-one else (e.g. 0700 permission). Within .maildir should be three folders, cur, new, and tmp (also with the same permissions).

Check if your mail ends up in new folder - if it does, then you've got a config problem with pine and/or mutt. Tell them where to find your maildir - if you use mutt, put this in your muttrc file:
Code:

set mbox_type=Maildir
set folder=~/.maildir

Quote:
I'm unsure whether this is due to qmail sending the mail to some unknown folder or whether qmail doesn't know where to put mail addressed to johndoe@isp.com

Check your qmail logs - you might get a better idea of what is happening. They are usually stored in /var/log/qmail-send and /var/log/qmail-smtpd. It's the latter that you want to check out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: