Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Would it works with Titanium wide screen?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elezine

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Would it works with Titanium wide screen? Reply with quote

I had Suse and Mandrake installed on my Titanium before
and both of them require XFree to be updated before I can
utilize the widescreen on Titainum proper. I had not a prob with Yellow dog. But I want to try gentoo would it work with the wide screen?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Would it works with Titanium wide screen? Reply with quote

Elezine wrote:
But I want to try gentoo would it work with the wide screen?

XFree86 is able to run at non-standard resoutions, so I don't see why this wouldn't work. Additionally, Gentoo contains the latest version of XFree86 (4.2) in the portage tree, so I think you'd be fine.

If you give it a try, please let us know how the install went and whether there were any gotchas that you ran into. (unless there are other Ti Powerbook owners here who can already answer the question definitively)

--kurt
Stummel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you call wide - screen? My tibook (400MHz) works with 1152x768. There's no problem with X.

But there are some more problems (see the ncurses thread). The same applies to gtk+2.0.2 for me. (while compiling gnome2). I had to use the package from debian. But I think, that this applies to all ppc - thats not a tibook based problem.

CU Stummel
Elezine

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, and what I meant by 'wide screen' was the 1152x768 resolutiions. I'm currently running Yellowdog and will be happy to switch to Gentoo.
Olof

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: XFree86 Reply with quote

XFree86 has been working on my Titanium Powerbook 500MHz since i installed linux. First, i run Linuxppc 2000Q4. Then Mandrake 8.0 and 8.2. Then i installed Gentoo. It still works.

So i don't see why you had to upgrade Suse and Mandrake before your screen worked.

Gentoo works great on my Powerbook. No problems at all. A bit more complicated to configure than Mandrake was, but i'm getting better at it every day, and it's really worth the effort, since Gentoo provides a stability that's not comparable to Mandrake.

I am truly thankful for what the ppc developers at Gentoo are doing.
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try the application I release last week, which should do your configuration with no problems. It's called Xeasyconf and it's available at http://tuxppc.org/projects/xeasyconf/

Hope this helps

Gerk
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: