Lirc + 2.6.7 + only works the first time
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paladine01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Lirc + 2.6.7 + only works the first time Reply with quote

I am using a vanilla kernel patched with a 2.6.5 lirc patch. Couldn't seem to find a 2.6.7 version one. The patch applies cleanly and I can compile lirc successfully. When I load it and use irxevent, it works for the first time. If I log out and log back in (which reexecutes irxevent), it won't work anymore. I can rmmod lirc_i2c and restart lircd, but that is not a viable solution since I don't want to have to do that manually each time.

Is there another patch set that exists that fixes this problem?
Prefect47
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem with mythfrontend. Not a big problem since my box is a pure mythbox where mythfrontend isn't restarted very often. Haven't found a solution and can also not upgrade to 2.6.7 since lirc is missing there.

Has the lirc patch ebuild appeared yet? Can't check from work.

Edit: Found this thread.
andyknownasabu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using the recent love-sources?
They include lirc support afaik...

Have a look at
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=199802
oscarwild
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget about patching the kernel for lirc support! Use the CVS version of lirc instead (take a look at http://www.lirc.org/cvs.html for further instructions) :-)

I've experienced problems for weeks now with any patched kernel I tried (love-sources 2.6.2...2.6.7). The lirc always worked for some hours but suddenly died, afterwards I had to do a reboot.
For me, the CVS package has been working fine for a whole day now ;)
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the same problem that I had with lirc-patch-2.6.5. Try with this patch instead. It's a modified version of the 2.6.2 (i think) patch that works in 2.6.7 kernels. It works perfectly for me.
Zefiro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This patch doesn't work for me (it asks for the location of a file linux/drivers/char/Kconfig which I don't know what to enter), for linux-2.6.7-gentoo-r11. I copied it to /usr/src/linux and said 'patch -p0 < lirc.patch', hoping it would be correct.

I also tried the original lirc CVS, but am clueless how to do it. I created a new directory (not in the kerneltree - should I? where should I put it?), got the CVS data, and followed the instructions. Namely "autogen.sh, setup.sh, make". Well, autogen complained about an old automake (needed 1.5, found 1.4-p6, I'v got 1.8 installed, so it's an problem of the detection wrapper), and when I said "make" it complained about not having and make targets.

I tried the 'lirc' ebuild (0.7.0_pre4), the output looking very similar to the CVS version one, just stating that I would need a kernelpatch (and refering to an URL only having 2.6.4 as latest version)

The mentioned bug in https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54518 claims it's easy to build an kernel patch ebuild. Since I've never done this and don't even get this to work, I'm stuck here.

Please help and give me a clue. Perhaps it's trivial, I just don't know where to start. And I would really hate so much giving up my shiny remote :)
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the cvs version of lirc and you'll be set, look here. No patching required
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1448997
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: