Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Conservative or Liberal?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Conservative or Liberal?
Conservative
25%
 25%  [ 15 ]
Liberal
65%
 65%  [ 39 ]
Apolitical
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 60

Author Message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16116
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herodot wrote:
Quote:
Poetry, some colors a one-eared lunatic threw on a canvas and some musical notes an insane person strung together, should not be required education to get a degree in economics, genetic engineering or any number of other degrees. Noone has been able to convince me why those aspects of an education should be required.
You don't see beauty in art? You don't see the connection between art and science?

*goes back to re-read post*

Nope, I didn't say that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and no, I don't see a connection between art and science. More importantly, I don't agree that someones OPINION should be considered required eductation.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
henke
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 30 Sep 2002
Posts: 165
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henri Poincaré wrote:
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living. Of course I do not here speak of that beauty that strikes the senses, the beauty of qualities and apperances; not that I undervalue such beauty, far from it, but it has nothing to do with science; I mean that profounder beauty which comes from harmonious order of the parts, and which a pure inteligence can grasp.


Last edited by henke on Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16116
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Perfectly valid opinion.

If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living.
That is rather depressing. Of course, it is also an opinion.

I mean that profounder beauty which comes from harmonious order of the parts, and which a pure inteligence can grasp.
Which does not seem to be the same beauty related to Art. This is also not fact, but rather an opinion. Perhaps these are differences between a person interested in Science vs. an actual "scientist".


henke wrote:
You are fortunate to have enough money to afford decent medical care then. What about the people who can't?
Actually, I'm unemployed. Medical care is paid for through the high cost, insurance and taxes. I'm not purporting that the U.S. system is perfect. For one, I disagree that insurance should be a for-profit business.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
henke
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 30 Sep 2002
Posts: 165
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living.
That is rather depressing. Of course, it is also an opinion.
Well he was a mathematician so... ;)

Quote:
I mean that profounder beauty which comes from harmonious order of the parts, and which a pure inteligence can grasp.
Which does not seem to be the same beauty related to Art. This is also not fact, but rather an opinion. Perhaps these are differences between a person interested in Science vs. an actual "scientist".
I just thought it was an interesting, kinda relevant, quote :lol: I guess it's my fault for using the word proof a while back. ;)

Quote:
henke wrote:
You are fortunate to have enough money to afford decent medical care then. What about the people who can't?
Actually, I'm unemployed.


Oh I'm sorry. My dad go laid of from his sys admin/chip designer job a couple of months ago. :( (He's in San Diego)

Quote:
Medical care is paid for through the high cost, insurance and taxes. I'm not purporting that the U.S. system is perfect. For one, I disagree that insurance should be a for-profit business.


Then I don't understand. You have access to medical care even though you don't have a job? Thats socialized medinice...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
henke
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 30 Sep 2002
Posts: 165
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back on topic (Kanupulus you might want to split of the whole medical debate. It's kinda off topic. )

I looked at the diffrent political categories on the Libertarian quiz site. It basicly says "People can be divided into 5 categories". I guess that is a bit better than "People can be divided into 2 categories"

I don't feel that any of those categories fits me very well...

Here are the issues that I feel are most important and the way I belive things should be run: freedom (think ACLU), the environment, free market, socialized healthcare and education. Where does this place me on the political scale?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 778
Location: Michigan - 15 & Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As requested, I've split off the socialized medicine thing.

Also, I took that quiz thingy, and landed just left of center (left liberal). I'd like to see something like that with more questions (like a political purity test).

Also, in many ways, I'd like to be a libertarian, but the majority of people in the US (and I suppose the world) are far too stupid to be allowed to control their own lives. :)
_________________
"An empty head is not really empty; it is stuffed with rubbish. Hence the difficulty of forcing anything into an empty head."
-- Eric Hoffer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Delphiki
Guru
Guru


Joined: 04 Oct 2002
Posts: 337
Location: A2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very political yet neither Liberal or Conservative... I'm fairly liberal socailly (i support gay marriages, legalization of all drugs, equal rights for everyone, etc) but very conservative economically (taxes bad, regulation bad) which make more sense together to me than the normal classifications of conservative and liberal.. conservatives want the government to run our personal lives but not our economic lives, and liberals the otherway around.. I don't want the government to run anything except law enforcement. So anyway, i didn't vote because I'm a Libertarian.
_________________
Excellent..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum