Finnish taxi drivers to pay royalties for backseat music
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Finnish taxi drivers to pay royalties for backseat music Reply with quote

Looks like the US is far from alone in the stupid law department...

via /. Finnish taxi drivers to pay royalties for backseat music

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it on linuxtoday, the strange thing is, I can listen to a radio without paying royalties, suddenly inside a cab the driver pays royalties because i'm listening or he should turn of the radio, no passenger then the driver doesn't have to pay royalties. Strange thing is royalties are already paid by the radio stations.

This really deserves a high ranking in the most stupid laws chart. It shows that coorperate invasion of goverments is not patented by the US alone. Just a scheme too get more royalties.

Cya lX.
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passenger: could you please turn the radio on?
Driver: It will cost you more $$$, unless you want to listen to the news.
Passenger: OK, I'll hear MP3s in my mobile phone....

Bloody Hell (tm), what a piece of stupid law. Looks like they are writting laws only for the media companies nowadays.
petu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I would like to tell you what kind of laws stupid politicians are making here in Finland. They are making a law that denies you from watching dvd's on linux because you need to use DeCSS to watch it. But at the same time you can bring pirated movies from Russia fully legally. Conclusion: The only way I can watch movies legally on Linux in Finland is that I go to Russia and buy the pirated movies that I like and bring them to Finland and watch. And afaik I'm also allowed to copy the Russian pirated movies to my friends.

Copyright laws are made by ministry of education in Finland. In the spring 2002 Finnish minister of education was forced to leave her job because she gave a big donation to a golf club and the minister and her mother and father and many other in her family owned a share of the club. This proves(at least for me) that Finnish ministers don't think anything else than to get more money for themselves. So I'm not wondered if someone pays for Finnish politicians to make these silly laws. The other option is that they are so damn drunk they don't know what they are doing.

I'm just wondering if there are any good countrys with sensible laws out there. Some-one told me that New-Zealand would have good laws. Anybody have any experiences?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: