Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Help w/ X - actual resolution larger than screen resolution?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject: Help w/ X - actual resolution larger than screen resolution? Reply with quote

Well, I've got X set up with the nvidia drivers and whatnot, and set up my default resolution to 1024x768 (the line goes "1024x768" "1260x768"). However, when I start X, the screen seems to be in 800x600 or 640x480 with some form of extended screen - I can move the mouse and scroll the screen. I know I've seen an option to disable this, but can't find it. What should I do? Would it be helpful for anyone to look at the config?

Thanks,

Alec

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey alec,

Run xf86config as root. It will ask you a bunch of questions. Just answer them. Pay attention to the question that will ask you if you want to change the resolution for a specific color depth. If and only if you select this, close to the end of the configuration if will ask you if you want the resolution to be the size of the actual screen or larger. Just say No to this and everything should work out fine.

I had this same problem as you, so hopefully you can fix it the way I did. You can probably manually edit the XF86Config file, but I havent tried it.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

during xf86config after you config your resolutions, it asks you "Do you want a virtual screen that is larger than the pysical screen?"

answer no to this :)
lude
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help w/ X - actual resolution larger than screen resolut Reply with quote

alec wrote:
Well, I've got X set up with the nvidia drivers and whatnot, and set up my default resolution to 1024x768 (the line goes "1024x768" "1260x768").

When you put a larger mode at the end of the line, it will start you off in the first mode, but make the screen as big as the biggest mode.

Try Ctrl+Alt+(numeric keypad +) and see if it maxes out your screen.
binkus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help w/ X - actual resolution larger than screen resolut Reply with quote

lude wrote:
alec wrote:
Well, I've got X set up with the nvidia drivers and whatnot, and set up my default resolution to 1024x768 (the line goes "1024x768" "1260x768").

When you put a larger mode at the end of the line, it will start you off in the first mode, but make the screen as big as the biggest mode.

Try Ctrl+Alt+(numeric keypad +) and see if it maxes out your screen.

Thanks lude, this solved my problem too!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: